Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2008, 04:15   #46
BHPian

Quote:
I think some unlearning helps. I realize a lot of rage stems from perfectionism - expecting that everyone should and will follow the rules.
Well said glass & I completely agree. Maybe to add, we could also say that rage is a result of disappointment although One doesn't have to be perfect to be disappointed or for that matter seek perfection . I guess it's more about the attitude of the other person driving and the callousness towards others on the road/lack of respect, which flares the temper.

Quote:
It helps to inculcate an attitude of tolerating imperfection. I know this is easier said than done, but I find it soothes down anger a bit.
Well said again mate. For me, just lugging on the attitude of tolerance would suffice. Tolerating Imperfection, well, this could get interesting. What else should I add besides horrible driving sense - pathetic roads, rampant corruption. The list is HUGE
Your thoughts are as transaparent as your nick Eddy Mate! Just think of how many ways you're better than the other fool who's driving like a maniac and you'll reach your destination just fine. You being on tbhp and posting this thread is just 1 great reason.

Cheers!
M2S
Old 24th August 2008, 16:16   #47
SuperSyn

About bikers, only people who haven't ridden bikes extensively will complain about the 'rash' bikers. Get a bike and ride in our cities for a month. You will understand everything that the bikers do makes sense. For the record, I do not consider stunt riding acceptable in traffic.

There are therapies that can help men get over irritability. Some drugs too.

Old 24th August 2008, 20:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
About bikers, only people who haven't ridden bikes extensively will complain about the 'rash' bikers. Get a bike and ride in our cities for a month. You will understand everything that the bikers do makes sense

Are you for real bro'? What does road sense have to do with what vehicle you drive?
And for the record, i was, (i am and always will be-in my heart) a biker but never ever have i cut across a car or the works.

Quote:
There are therapies that can help men get over irritability. Some drugs too.
Yeah sure there are and then there's introspection as well. How about we start with the latter first before we move to the more "pronounced" treatments.
Old 24th August 2008, 20:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Eddy, I'm seeing this thread today!

Very disturbing! What is happening to you?
But ... but .... do you realize you've already got a handle on this?
You see it coming. This being the case, it ought never to happen!
I do not see it happening, as long as you are aware of the possibility that it CAN happen with you!

Oh, and Eddy, get yourself Leh'd! Everybody is doing it!!
How long since you had a GOOD holiday?!

Last edited by anupmathur : 24th August 2008 at 20:29.
Old 24th August 2008, 23:03   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Please read the signature below this posting of mine. Hope everyone will try to follow it for safety!!
Old 26th September 2008, 10:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

I have two ways of dealing with this.

I bought a SIERRA for precisely this reason. It is a wonderful detterant to anyone who wants to pick up a skirmish.

I've also learnt how to bring Auto drivers to their knees. I overtake them and cut across them slightly. Since an Auto is pointed, the guys can't squeeze past you. It really drives them nuts. And ya, the Auto stunt is done when i'm on my Bullet
Old 26th September 2008, 23:46   #52
BHPian

I'm a very new driver myself (about 2500 kms) but there have been a couple of occasions I was tempted by road rage - mostly due to people cutting me off in slow moving traffic and jaywalkers . I think a related issue is " Horn rage"... when someone cuts you off and you "floor" the horn..

I try and make a conscious decision some days that i will NOT honk today .... Similarly it might help to make a conscious effort to keep your cool when someone errs around you.. when you find yourself feeling enraged just say to yourself "I will NOT.." and think a happy thought. Works for me !
Old 30th September 2008, 06:22   #53

Hi,

I felt ignorance is bliss in this matter! :-) Just ignore that stupid rash/ aggressive driver and hope he/she meats a fitting end. Curse that driver if still feeling irritated (while windows are pulled up ;-) pump up the stereo and listen to music and think of your family.

In all my road rage temptations I was alone driving. Am sure I wouldn't have tempted into rage if my parents or kids were in the car. So there is a choice though its blurred by anger.

I found these while searching for help on the web. Hope its useful.

RoadRagers.com - Driving Tips

AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety - Resources

Have a great day
Old 30th September 2008, 10:15   #54
Team-BHP Support

Thats a very good first post satti. Thanks and welcome to the forum
Old 30th September 2008, 14:01   #55
BANNED

The anger that you feel while using the roads is natural with the kind of traffic and people we have. That being the case I have learn't some things. You have to have extreme patience while driving your car else it is going to spoil your ride for most of the time except when you are on a highway.

I am a bike rider and now a car driver too and felt heavily restricted when driving the car. But I have learn't to keep my cool most of the times because I know how the vehicles on the road behave in general.

However careful you are you are forced to keep a constant watch for errant drivers criss-crossing your way and that takes a toll. But I have observed that if my speed is matching with the rest of the traffic then I don't have to worry much.

cheers:
Old 30th September 2008, 19:44   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
........ But I have observed that if my speed is matching with the rest of the traffic then I don't have to worry much.

cheers:
Agree with that completely. I do just that. In addition, for dealing with the autos and bikers I keep an intimidating attitude, for instance, pretending to be about to push the bikers out of the road if they try to cut across in front of me, which most seem to think is their birthright.
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:08   #57
BHPian

I think it not about your BP or thyroid glands.
In Delhi i have seen the traffic culture changing from worse to worst in last 1 years.
Going to office is more of a torture.I love driving,I never expected i will start avoiding some day.
You move out on Ring road or Outer ring road at almost 6 PM after and you will find lot many cars with Yamraj sitting in the driving seat.They drive like hell as if they dont have anyone to cry for them.I am too stunned with the driving behavior.
I do night shifts and some days back i was coming back from office at 3:30 AM and i Saw two guys on pulsar lying cold under the belly of the parked dumper.What the hell?.
There are professional people to check the capacity of engine,You don't need to do it.If such is the case,I wonder even i will loose my temper soon..
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:55   #58
BHPian

Don't think about how other person is driving - you can't change the on raod behaviour of others, but you can for sure change yours...
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:09   #59
Team-BHP Support

Easier said than done no ?

The lane changing at the NH8 toll plaza is getting extreeeemly irritating. Most of the times, it is a cat and mouse game between me and the person trying to budge in !!
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

Eddy, this is something that anyone with sane road manners would experience. If you think its bad in India, I can tell you that its no less in the US. People do drive courteously, but there are a whole lot of people who drive around like maniacs. Thanks to such people, everyone else gets annoyed & road rage incidents increase.

Frankly, I get ticked off too at the slightest mistake made by others while on the road. But I've slowly tried to tell myself that its not worth getting annoyed at someone who doesn't care a damn about other commuters.

Best option, roll up your windows and have the AC on at all times. This not only drops noise levels, it'll help you remain cool and composed. Have some soft music playing, and if you like to munch on things it would be a good idea to have some candy/ chocolates in the car. This really helps take your mind off the unnecessary things. I used to do this while in India too, and its always worked for me.

If you like a certain style of music, play that more often. If it has lyrics you are familiar with, sing out loud!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks