Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 13:30   #1
Team-BHP Support

Road-Rage mishap waiting to happen. Please help in prevention.

I am kinda scared so initiating this thread to see if any mishap can be averted. I have been driving for almost a decade now. Proud to say that I am a reasonable driver, don't overspeed, stop at all red lights even at odd times adn generally not in a rush while driving. I have driven an Omni for most of my ealry years, an Ikon flair in the last couple of years and currently driving a Swift.

Situation: I am getting more and more impatient on the road these days. Any rickshaw, two wheeler or auto that does its customary stupid driving on the road leads to a burning anger inside me to get out and thrash that guy or mow it down. It has gotten worse in the last couple of months. I just HATE anyone who interrupts me because of his over eagerness, plain stupidity or plain ego. In short, my tolerance levels have gone low.

I am scared that this might lead to a scuffle on the road someday, which I will regret on hindsight. But I want to be in a psoition to prevent this from happening.

Any idea why this change is happening ? I am normally an easy going guy without any ,touchwood, pressures or stress that have affected me lately.

How do I prevent a mishap ? Need Help !!!!
Old 11th April 2008, 13:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

We need to ask ourselves are we over stressed in office and personal life nowadays? Are we carrying any of the personal / office things in our mind while driving? If yes, then it may lead to these kind of situations. I have personally experienced this. A bad day in office will certainly lead me to end up nearly fighting with other people while driving back home when they cut traffic in front of me.

The other thing which may help us to prevent it is play some good music and try concentrating on the music like the lyrics of song/sound/beats/rhythum etc. Try to concentrate on these things and you will enjoy your driving.
Old 11th April 2008, 13:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

What about off the road. Are you getting impatient in your personal/professional life also (Please dont get me wrong, i know its a kind of personal question). How are your tolerance levels in general ?

I am asking this because it may well be something related to a physical ailment, example, and underactive or overactive thyroid gland which can lead to drastic mood changes and decrease in tolerance levels, mood swings, frequent bouts of anger, etc.
Old 11th April 2008, 13:44   #4
BHPian

Hi Eddy,

I have been driving for the past 20 years, and its during the last 2-3 years that I have been having the same reactions that you mention. I too am a reasonable driver and I too stop at red lights, but of late, I am becoming more and more impatient with other road users. Autos and two wheelers are something I find hard to tolerate nowadays. The other day, as is standard practice, a biker slowly edged up between me and the car to my left and tried to push his way to the right in my path. What these bikers expect is that the car will slow down to let them pass and they will continue this way, cutting off other road users as they go along. I got so angry with this guy, that I just did not slow down or move away. So, this guy turns to the right into my car and his rear wheel touches the side of my front left fender and he almost falls over. But since we are moving slow enough, he manages to stay afloat. But he has to stop to get his bearings again.

While he was definitely not doing something nice, from the point of view of my car, neither did I. But at that moment, I didn't care. That is something I too am worried about.

How does one control this?
Old 11th April 2008, 13:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

a couple of things that help me, keep the a/c on, some soothing music (not metal or heavy rock but more sober stuff like hindustani classical, jazz, soft rock).... and the greatest realization - its a scratch - and can be removed, one blown blood vessle is difficult to fix.

As DCEite also points out- get a checkup on your hormonal levels, IF and only if this anger is getting triggered off not just in the car but across life. Check your BP most imporatnyl.
Old 11th April 2008, 13:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
What about off the road. Are you getting impatient in your personal/professional life also (Please dont get me wrong, i know its a kind of personal question). How are your tolerance levels in general ?
I agree that could be a cause. But as I mentioned, I have not noticed any behavioral changes outside the car at all.
Tolerance levels in general are pretty good except for some touchy topics ;p but again, I am what I was.
Old 11th April 2008, 13:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a sticker (the only one in my car) on the rear windscreen which says "I FOLLOW TRAFFIC RULES".. Its a reminder to my fellow motorists as well as myself - I just have to glance at the rear view mirror to read it and sober down (most of the time ).
Old 11th April 2008, 13:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Eddy, you're not alone. Every one has his soft spots where it can hurt easier than with other points of concern.

Would say try & analyze what sets you off most. Then try work around those situations.
Eg: I dont like bikers sneaking up, yet I want buffer space. So I try to keep only so much space to my right that a biker cannot sneak up.

No one has control on the traffic & other users on the road. You will need to work out what can help you relax. Relax enough that it doesnt distract you. Have friends who are on the phone all the time. But that works for them - I hate even loud music. And I dont talk when I drive. See what works for you.

Importantly, try ignore what irritates you. Try think of yourself, keep your focus to yourself, your ride, and your space. Let go of things that are not in your control.

Drive Safe !
Old 11th April 2008, 13:57   #9
rippergeo

I've noticed that

1. the faster the car i'm driving, the greater my road rage
2. the slower the other car/vehicle-greater my rage
3. road rage is a problem if i'm in my hometown.
4. worse if there is no music
5. the absolute worst If I drive with my windows down.
6. easier to react in anger and behave in an uncouth manner if i know the other car will never catch up with me.

i must add that, road rage, in my case occurs only when i feel i have been wronged, pushed around or put in danger. which is usually the case with most people.

it normally gets better with age...I was embarrasingly neanderthal in my road behaviour when I was in college.

it helps if you realise that getting cut off doesnt mean the end of the world, it just means you'll be a few seconds late. nothing more.

we can afford a few seconds right?

Old 11th April 2008, 14:32   #10
BHPian

I would say it's a very good and apt thread. Ripper said it will get better with age, but as other pointed out, I think exact opposite is what happening with me. Have been riding for past 15 years and driving for past 10 years, but recently I feel this adrenaline rush in a higher rate. But most of the time managed to calm down with the help of some good music, love to my car and thinking the after effects. Just try to be calm, roll up the windows with a/c on, hear some good melodious music, smile and drive.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

try to get your mind off these moronic road users. I have had similar fits long time back. But have changed considerably now. Like someone said, play some pleasant songs on your stereo & do not think what could have happened . Just accept the fact that you cannot change that particular moron, but could influence someone else closer to you & try to see the funnier side of everything. I know its tough, but it is possible. cheers
Old 11th April 2008, 14:40   #12
BHPian

Its starting to go bad with age- in my case. Outside of the car, I am a quiet cool guy. I guess I should blame my Petra for this. Its such a bullyish car, it bullies me into driving hard and expecting others to keep up with me.

One can make all kinds of excuses, but the control has to come from within. I guess I shall do some meditation. In fact I have found a book about the Silva method of mind and body healing. Just started reading it. Does seem interesting.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:41   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
The other day, as is standard practice, a biker slowly edged up between me and the car to my left and tried to push his way to the right in my path. What these bikers expect is that the car will slow down to let them pass and they will continue this way, cutting off other road users as they go along. I got so angry with this guy, that I just did not slow down or move away. So, this guy turns to the right into my car and his rear wheel touches the side of my front left fender and he almost falls over. But since we are moving slow enough, he manages to stay afloat. But he has to stop to get his bearings again.
Amazingly, i did the same thing as well. And Twice.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Amazingly, i did the same thing as well. And Twice.

Ah! So, tell me, do you think this is normal or do you also feel the need to do some meditation and mind control?
Old 11th April 2008, 14:50   #15
BHPian

Am turning devotional...thanx to traffic.!!!

As strange as it might sound......the hectic schedules at work & life in general is eating into the nervous system.

Given the passion for driving - i dont wanna be driven around.

Windows all rolled up, A/C blower at position 3 with vents blowing away at me & Melodious instrumental stuff, devotional discourses & chants, Yanni & the likes have become my constant companions over the last 12 months - whilst driving in B'Bay.

Bikes cuttin me from the left and leaving gashes on the bumpers have got me into physical bouts a few times in the past year - but on hind-sight ...maybe it just wasnt worth it.

Am eager to learn more options to remain cool....as i know this escape route will soon need a diversion.cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks