Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2024, 14:18   #1501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jobs, Attrition & Layoffs in IT companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The whole AI system, if I'm not wrong, works on existing data and producing data from data.
Billion dollar IT services companies run on thousands of IT employees doing precisely that. Specifically in the case of middle-management project plans, PPTs, and Excel Sheets! I can think of more than a couple of managers I've come across, where AI would have done a better job! (And of course, I'm sure every manager can think of one or two employees they could more productively replace with AI.)

Last edited by am1m : 25th March 2024 at 14:21.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 15:36   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How does that solve the problem?
--
I simply don't see how the human presence can be removed here.
Based on my experience in the recent past, AI has still not reached the stage where it can do innovation/invention. It excels at imitation & extrapolation.

If you look at coding, this would mean that the human effort can be significantly reduced but not taken out of the system completely. However the expertise needed may not be strictly technical in the immediate future.

It's probably going to be techo-functional where a few domain experts with basic coding skills & understanding of software could potentially replace an entire team. He can probably use AI to create & vet a set of comprehensive regression & performance test cases which can test the system and ensure that the system is not degrading.

There would probably be a small number of technical/compliance SMEs who do code reviews and sign off on software and provide feedback to the AI which is generating the code.
vishnurp99 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 16:22   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
The gap is between the user requirement and the software. AI doesn't know this gap, hence it can't test it. Who is going to explain this gap to the AI engine?
This gap will need human intervention. But the fact of the matter is, AI can write pretty good codes and its just a matter of time when they get used by corporations. The only change will be instead of 100 guys working on a project, AI will reduce the required head count leading to job loss.
vegitakarthik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 16:38   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegitakarthik View Post
This gap will need human intervention. But the fact of the matter is, AI can write pretty good codes and its just a matter of time when they get used by corporations. The only change will be instead of 100 guys working on a project, AI will reduce the required head count leading to job loss.
We are hearing this for last few decades and I'm still waiting for that to happen. I work since 2007 and yet to see any impact AI have on my work. BTW I'm purely into development and so far AI is assisting with some parts of my work and I don't see it replace me anytime soon.

Let's see when it will happen.
xcentrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 22:59   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
I saw this news item, and I couldn't believe the height of ignorance behind this demand.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...-12475711.html

I am not against job security or employee benefits like severance or pension. In fact, my 87 year old widowed mom just received a hike in her family pension. My dad retired from the bank in 1992 and his former employer is still paying pension, even after his death 9 years ago. She makes nearly as much as entry level WITCH employee. The retired officer's union manages to get them a hike every few years. In fact, my mom now makes more than my dad ever did in service or after.

When my dad was working the bank, he didn't fear about losing the job. If the bank tried anything funny, the officer's union would jump in and fight on his behalf.
I have been working at a PSB since July 2009 and covered under the new pension system of GoI. Though my bank is lined up for privatisation by the GoI and other majority shareholder LIC, the job safety is there, however the pressure to achieve the targets, sell insurance, do compliance under tight deadlines is taking a heavy toll on the present day bankers. Just Google, suicide by bankers and you will be astonished about the number ot stress related deaths in banking.

As far as pension is considered, all government employees who have joined the service from 2004 are covered under NPS and not under OPS. NPS is market linked and works in favour of the employers wherein the burden is till the service age and not post that. However, if you calculate the NPS wealth creation by the time you reach 60 could be good amount, provided you/employer contribute monthly around 30-40000 per month.
MDED is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 23:28   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
We are hearing this for last few decades and I'm still waiting for that to happen. I work since 2007 and yet to see any impact AI have on my work. BTW I'm purely into development and so far AI is assisting with some parts of my work and I don't see it replace me anytime soon.

Let's see when it will happen.
Sooner then you think. Especially with rapid advancements in AI research since the launch of Transformers. Instead of replacing, the word here is augment existing workflows. The roles will become techno-functional in future.
vegitakarthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 08:04   #1507
Distinguished - BHPian

When the meeting on WFH was more like Work-for-Home than Work From Home. Almost cruel way to do it.

Stellantis lays off 400 employees

https://www.msn.com/en-in/money/news...cc81a6fa&ei=62
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 09:28   #1508
BHPian

Below are couple of articles detailed in World Economic Forum.

The YT version details the same with all the Jazz.

Essentially, blue collar jobs will not be affected, jobs which need people interaction/ management will not change. Anyone only working on a computer will see their jobs getting automated, except for people editing and maintaining these AI systems/ models.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2023/...reated-ai-gpt/

Last edited by mac187 : 27th March 2024 at 09:31.
Old 28th March 2024, 00:34   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
I'm purely into development and so far AI is assisting with some parts of my work and I don't see it replace me anytime soon.
Are you using tools like CoPilot for example? I'm curious to know if that is helping in the mundane development tasks. Would like feedback from a practitioner. I'm not talking about replacement though, my question is more about augmentation.
Old 28th March 2024, 03:45   #1510

As someone who works very closely with AI tools (we get access to latest models before the end user), AI is just the latest FAD which will eventually die down.

Similar to EMR, ML, Web3 etc. There will be a lot development before the market saturates, followed by rounds of consolidation.
neon115 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 10:41   #1511
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon115 View Post
As someone who works very closely with AI tools (we get access to latest models before the end user), AI is just the latest FAD which will eventually die down.
Remember Blockchain - no one really talks about it
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 11:14   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Remember Blockchain - no one really talks about it
Tell me about it! I remember circa 2016 my boss was behind me to do something with blockchain, show some PoC or MVP with it. I work in Data Management, specifically on Data Quality and I was at my wits end on how to come up with a real-world business case in my domain. Eventually it fizzled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Are you using tools like CoPilot for example? I'm curious to know if that is helping in the mundane development tasks. Would like feedback from a practitioner. I'm not talking about replacement though, my question is more about augmentation.
I have started using copilot extensively in MS Teams to recap the meeting, no more boring minutes of the meeting. Also trying my hands on copilot with email corrections and PowerPoint slides generations based on prompt. Still a long way to go.
anandtheleo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 15:23   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Extensively used ChatGPT and getting mundane code blocks. For instead, want to create a UI a form and a grid, will use chat GPT to get that code. Same way, using that to write multiple code blocks in Java, Nodejs etc. In that way, I save a lot of time.
xcentrk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 17:20   #1514
BHPian

AI - Hype, Potential, Loss of Jobs and all that in this sharp video by ColdFusion

DigitalOne is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 13:27   #1515
BHPian

Coming from Microsoft - AI agents which can do coding with human supervision.

I had said this somewhere else on the forum - these ChatGPT type solutions are good entertainment but lack practical value in the long run. But when these models get some agency going and can complete tasks autonomously, that is where the maximum impact is going to be. My guess is, team sizes are going to reduce significantly for the same amount of work in next 5 years. So productivity is going to sky rocket. At the same time, more jobs will be created so net-net there will be more jobs in the future. However there is no doubt this will be accompanied by short term pains and lay-offs. Overall AI is going to be a game changer to the world. Just like internet was in the 2000s.

https://www.windowscentral.com/softw...re-supervisors

Last edited by warrioraks : 19th April 2024 at 13:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks