Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should the BRT corridor in New Delhi be scrapped
Yes. The things are not likely to improve much. 30 62.50%
No. Give it some time to improve. 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 17:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well guys i am for this kind of setup. AGreed the travel times of vehicles have increased but give time to think about the commuters by buses. Well they can save time and also the numbers travelling by cars are no way close to the numbers done in cars. Well this is a general view so dont pounce with details which i dont have.
One more point is in case we have infra like bridges for pedestrians and an overall good system which is interconnected we can attain some sort of calm in the traffic
Old 29th April 2008, 17:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nitrous ,

It stands for Bus Rapid Transport System. Here out of the three lanes one is dedicated to buses ( there is a physical barrier between the lanes), one is for motor vehicles where all cars, two wheelers, trucks and autos would ply and the third is reserved for cyclists. The Bus lane is on the extreme right and the bus passangers cross the road to the central verge where the stops are located.
Old 29th April 2008, 17:30   #18
BHPian

IMO the problem lies down with the design and our attitude of the whole thing.
Where on earth were the designers when they thought of having bus-stops right opposite to each other for either of the lane.
Keeping in mind the 'Indian' mentality of 'no-patience and I should be first' they should have got the lanes a better and bigger divider.
BUT the first thing they should have had done was to educate the public about the whole concept.

This is a good project, (even though had I been the designer I would have the lanes on either end and not in the centre) and some serious re-design and education should solve the purpose.
Old 29th April 2008, 17:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well guys i am for this kind of setup. AGreed the travel times of vehicles have increased but give time to think about the commuters by buses. Well they can save time and also the numbers travelling by cars are no way close to the numbers done in cars. Well this is a general view so dont pounce with details which i dont have.
Its a pain for bus passengers to get to the middle of the road where the stops are located. Secondly, the bus stops are physically too small to handle the amount of passengers. Consequently the people waiting tend to spill onto the road.

But I do agree that journey time would have reduced for bus passengers. But then again is it worth wasting so much more time of hundred other motorists?? Probably not, IMO.

Why dont they just eliminate the bus drivers and have the entire be shared amongst the cars/bikes and buses?? This would be good especially since the road has been widened as compared to before.

IMO, cycle lanes and footpaths should remain as they are right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
overall good system
What else do we need??

But thats not what the BRT is
Old 29th April 2008, 17:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

This bus lane phenomenon was a major flop with the british motorists.
Which bird brain came up with this, in already crowded india?
On Anna Salai, in Chennai, there are three lanes separately for Buses/heavy vehicles, Cars/vans and two wheelers. They're separated by yellow lines and often you can find traffic policemen catching lane crossing motorists.
This is better than physically separate bus lanes,i feel.
Old 29th April 2008, 17:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Which bird brain came up with this?
A wing of IIT Delhi..would you believe??
Old 29th April 2008, 17:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
A wing of IIT Delhi..would you believe??
And I hear that its supported by Volvo and Tata
On a serious note, this is one example of gross waste of public money. They have already spent over 60 crores in building the 5.6 kilometer section when they should have given it a through over and then go about implementing it. Now that they have gone ahead and built it already, they should try and make it work, if not the only option is to close it.
Old 29th April 2008, 18:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

That is the reason academics shouldconfine themselves to classrooms and lecture theatres. They have no idea of how the real world works. When roads all around the country are being widened and we have new express highways coming up within NCR to help is the fast movement of vehicles these arm chair experts have decided to add another problem to the much harassed motorist.

This concept is good but in places with lesser traffic and 6-8 lane roads. Here even if the buses move faster how many peope would be willing to give up their cars for the unsafe and uncomfortable buses.

The solution is to provide people with a viable public transport system like the Delhi Metro. People see the benefits of the Delhi Metro and shift to using it without any encouragement from the authority as it is faster, safer, more comfortableand economical.

Here one of the planners had commented that the idea was to make Car travel so painful that the people would be forced to move to public transport.

Well wih elecions around the corner this is the last thing the Shiela Dixit government needed. Our authorities are zero o planning . First they do no creat efficeint infrastructure and when people try to depend on their own resources they set such modern day Tughlaqs after them. (Delhi Sealings/BRT)
Old 29th April 2008, 22:18   #24
v&v
Senior - BHPian

brt for indian traffic is a mistake. it sucks travelling from there.
i had be stuck many times. it really bad guys.
Old 30th April 2008, 01:49   #25
BHPian

People who support BRT can pls explain what will happen after 5 years? Maybe they have to ban cars
Old 30th April 2008, 09:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman345 View Post
People who support BRT can pls explain what will happen after 5 years? Maybe they have to ban cars
No, but may be car owners will be a bit more sophisticated towards driving the cars in proper lanes.

I do support BRT but with a better infrastructure and support. With current infrastructure and support it's strictly NO NO !!
Old 30th April 2008, 10:16   #27
BHPian

This stupid BRT has doubled my commute time across sheikh sarai. When will authorities realize that there are better things to do with the tax payer's money than fixing up something which is not broken...
Old 30th April 2008, 10:32   #28
BHPian

It was a crappy plan to begin with. Just now read that a bus banged into the metal barriers in the central verge , while trying to save a pedestrian who came out of nowhere to cross the road. The metal barricade, broke through the bus' body & injured 3 passengers, one of whom was so badly injured that his toes were amputated!!!!

So much for Sheila Dixit 's plan of going ahead with this B.R.T (Bad Road Technology) plan!

I think it should be scrapped immediately.
Old 30th April 2008, 10:34   #29
BHPian

I fail to understand why a proper feasibility study was not conducted before going ahead with such a vast project.

If it was done, the consultants who did this study for the government should be penalised.

Old 30th April 2008, 11:35   #30
BHPian

went to sheik sarai and used to corridor for the first time yesterday.
it was nice to see the overall system of how they want BRT to work.
but i dont think it will succeed.and it is for the following reasons
1.the buses have been given a separate lane which is good,but the other lane for cars is very small.it can only have two lanes of cars together
2.also the bus lane was empty for like 5-10 mins.no buses were plying at a certain point of time ,so the car owners were forced to break the rules and change the lanes.
3.all of the lanes have been given a separate red light,which according to me doesnot reduces the time but increases the time,as the volume of traffic is very high on that strech.and for the same side you have to wait twice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks