Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should the BRT corridor in New Delhi be scrapped
Yes. The things are not likely to improve much. 30 62.50%
No. Give it some time to improve. 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2008, 13:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of a small portion of the stretch to give people an idea of what we're talking about:

Should the BRT corridor in New Delhi be scrapped-getimage.dll.jpg

Just see how the normal traffic is bottle-necked & how the bus lanes are not being utilised.
Old 30th April 2008, 13:12   #32
BHPian

I went through the BRT corridor a couple of time in the past 2 days the reasons / ways it can work is if the traffic lights are reconfigured the motorcyclists and scooters are forced on to the cycle path and the 3wheelers are banned from the car lanes thes are the 3/ 4 things that are creating the biggest havoc on the corridor more over when travelling you didnt have to worry abt a blueline cutting in or haphazardly just stopping in the middle but the auto's and the 2 wheelers have seemed to have developed bigger cohones with the buses gone to their own lanes
Old 30th April 2008, 13:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Here is a picture of a small portion of the stretch to give people an idea of what we're talking about:

Attachment 12106

Just see how the normal traffic is bottle-necked & how the bus lanes are not being utilised.
and here is a prime example of what i was saying the auto's and the 2 wheelers are causing most of if not all of the chaos
Old 30th April 2008, 13:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Can some motorists join together and stage a 'Dharna ' on the BRT?
Invite every press guy and publicise it so it reaches where it has to.
Old 30th April 2008, 13:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Heck, I want it all over Delhi. Having seen similar schemes work wonderfully all over Germany, I personally believe its a fantastic idea but ONLY once the network becomes vast. With rapid/quality transit, I want maximum personal vehicles off the road.

But as it stands now, and staying 1km away from the start point of ambedkar nagar, I'd just say that make the lanes, but make it operational only when there's quality delhi wide service. Just 6km will not make anyone forego their vehicles.

Delhi Metro would've been better - its something I would give up my personal vehicle for. Alas, but they dumped BRT on us. I just wish it works and improves traffic.

@Suman: Fair point, but its a matter of greater good. There's just as many humans traveling in buses, than in peak hour single person driven cars/bikes. The government hasn't implemented enough quality service to make people want to shift modes, but its about time they did. There's very little other solutions Delhi has. We can't go too far aping the US - heck, where can we make more roads?

But then, that's just my opinion. Others are free to flame/bay for my blood
Old 30th April 2008, 13:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 12106

If I daresay, the number of people in both stretches would be comparable - I know how much buses there get filled up (used to do the same hanging around!). The private car owners are stuck - but there are just as many people in buses who are having a decent ride. If only half the guys in autos walked over to the buses!

PS: lived for 3 months in germany in a very similar system albeit smaller (10km a side, but more travel around) and I think instead of knee jerking, question is really about how to make things work and how to reduce private travel. Not just number of buses, but trained drivers, and safety. lots of issues. Not too palatable ofc in its form.
PPS: At ambedkar nagar itself, the 30sec junction - we spent some 40 min, a week back. Now its back to 2-4min.

@nitrous: Brother. That is just fodder for media-wh0*es to shout hoarse, and becoming a part of the problem - at best creating a further ruckus about what everyone in the world already knows about.

Last edited by phamilyman : 30th April 2008 at 13:24.
Old 30th April 2008, 13:29   #37
jat
BHPian

BRT system is a good idea. It does have some flaws, eg, the lanes should have been on the side, traffic should be properly regulated and their should be harsher punishment for offender. In Singapore, it is there and works very well even in 2+2 lanes system. And in Singapore 2 lanes don't get converted to 6 lanes. So the traffic moves faster.

How about people who are using buses (the majority of population and they will win if given the right to vote in this case) says that the traffic snarls are caused by cars and if we take out the cars completely off the road, the traffic will move much faster. (Old chinese policy - no cars, no traffic jams, no pollution he he)
Old 30th April 2008, 14:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@Suman: Fair point, but its a matter of greater good. There's just as many humans traveling in buses, than in peak hour single person driven cars/bikes. The government hasn't implemented enough quality service to make people want to shift modes, but its about time they did. There's very little other solutions Delhi has. We can't go too far aping the US - heck, where can we make more roads?
We need to look at the picture in the overall context. A year back, the same volume of people (in buses & cars) were taking "x" amount of time from Point A to Point B on the (now) BRT corridor (same time being taken by buses & cars, buses normally holding up cars by haphazardly stopping in the middle of the road etc etc).

Now, buses taking the same amount of time as a year ago and (thanks to the BRT) cars taking three times as much.

Progress is the name of the game, right? Why on earth would anyone who is now taking three times as much time as earlier accept this? Particularly when the buses are taking the same amount of time as before?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, if you talk about the "concept" of a BRT, its brilliant. But as a whole lot of people have mentioned, it is NOT the right place to have made it. Yes, if it was a six to eight lane stretch, by all means, most welcome. You (as in Bus) stick to your space, I stick to mine & we both have enough. I don't think its working here.

And did someone talk about Singapore? Lol, don't even make me start. Can we even begin to compare the infrastructure & conveniences of these two countries?
Old 30th April 2008, 14:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Well guys if we keep wanting instant solutions then sorry guys there is nothing. Wait for a while and let this be tested. We do actually need a seperate lane for 2 wheelers and autos. If the system is moved to the entire city then it will make a lot of the car passengers to start travelling by public transport. I know we are in tbhp where ppl love cars but do spare a thought for guys travelling by buses. They have got a fairly safer mode of transport and can be made better by providing walkways and see to it that no jaywalking happens and guys in the cars have a seperate lane.
Lane discipline should be learnt firt.
Old 30th April 2008, 16:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

I have a few points to make:
1) I case you want to provide dedicated lane for buses, please do so by all means. Add the additional lanes. Do not reduce the space that was available for motor vehicles ( their number is growing, not coming down). This is precisely what is being done in case of reservations with the number of seats being increased in the educational institutes so as not to reduce the seats available to the general category students.
2) To compare it with Singapore is wrong. Singapore has probably the best mass transport system in the world. Heck, NCR has more vehicles than Singapore has people.
3) The vehicle users who pay all sort of road taxes, cess etc are being reduced to third class citizen category.
4) The travel time getting reduced to an extent from the time the system was introduced on Apr 20 is largely due to people taking other routes and avoiding this stretch.
5) We shold learn something from our Chinese neighbours when we start planning our infrastructure. By the time our projects are completed the demand has already outstripped the capacity the system was designed to handle.
Old 30th April 2008, 16:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well guys if we keep wanting instant solutions then sorry guys there is nothing. Wait for a while and let this be tested. We do actually need a seperate lane for 2 wheelers and autos. If the system is moved to the entire city then it will make a lot of the car passengers to start travelling by public transport.
Please see Ishan's post below, I couldn't agree more -

Quote:
Like others have said, those who haven't used it should not comment. Sure it looks like an excellent concept in theory, in reality it's a nightmare.
Here's what a majority of us are saying -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I do support BRT but with a better infrastructure and support. With current infrastructure and support it's strictly NO NO !!
I'm not sure why there's a lot of hypothetical discussions about the "concept" whereas the thread was started with the "reality" in mind. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
4) The travel time getting reduced to an extent from the time the system was introduced on Apr 20 is largely due to people taking other routes and avoiding this stretch.
Absolutely correct! And what is happening is that now there are pile-ups elsewhere. An example - Outer Ring Road between Panchsheel & Chirag Delhi used to flow relatively smoothly because the cut in the divider at the Malviya Nagar T junction had been closed quite some time back.

Now, they've opened it up again so there is one additional red-light to contend with in rush hour, thereby increasing the commute by anything betwen 7 to 15 minutes!

Last edited by suman : 30th April 2008 at 17:05.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:10   #42
LLL
BHPian

BRT corridor is a mess. Have travelled multiple times on it and there is no way it will improve traffic. Apart from that, its a huge risk as i have seen all kinds of accidents (like cars jumping the divider, bikes hitting the divider and falling off). Also there is no exit in case a vehicle breaks down in BRT corridor.

Apart from that, ofcourse there is no way for pedestrians to cross the road. In delhi, no one cares for zebra crossings.

Instead of BRT, they should have created a metro line there.
Old 1st May 2008, 09:33   #43
BHPian

BRT is just a waste of money by our CM Sheela Dixit who sits in an AC room, trying to make crores of money from silly projects and dumping everything on the delhites.

Have these fools thought that on the normal roads buses runs on the left and BRT is there on the right side of the road. They have change lanes. Changing lanes really creates the problem.

No place for the pedestrians to cross the roads. Even traffic lights wont be a solution.

Come on guys who are in fav. of it.

Take 1 ltr of water and pass it though a small pipe. it will obviously take time.
and repeat this thing with a wider pipe. water will pass freely.

here pipe = lanes left for the cars
and water = traffic.

traffic is already there on such road and BRT really choaked the traffic.

Just think how people who just came off the bus will cross the road? Media guys are right and i had seen a live demostration on the TV and experienced the same when i was stuck in the jam there. Uff!! my head was already blasting and i was seriously abusing our Delhi Govt. along with my friends. lol

What if a vehical breaks down in BRT? what if a bus breaks down in BRT? haha then buses will come in the car's lane? All Rubbish.
Old 1st May 2008, 10:34   #44
BHPian

All said and done, I guess one of the motto of the BRT system is to encourage people to use public transport/buses intead of private vehicles.

But here nothing seems to work.
Old 1st May 2008, 10:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Gangsta,

That is just level 1 thinking. Question is how to put decongestion measures in place - your points are obvious and practical - but that's just adding to the problem. Having suffered such idiocy daily I agree - esp pile ups at sainik farms because the new drivers cant manage these big buses' and their turning radii.

@Suman: I completely agree. The real mishap has been that NO ONE has benefitted truly. Atleast one section benefiting would bring a silver lining. My mom's chanakyapuri route used to via moolchand. Now we've ourselves shifted routes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks