Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 13:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Amazing thread. I am stunned by some f pics here!

askssh, stunnig setup.what is the cost involved in this kind of set up. Where you got these from.

are they availble in Bangalore? I checkout out some in Tokyo but were very expensive.

sid,

I have similar train with me got it as bday gift in 1986 AFAIR
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:35   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Hi Askssh, That looks nice How big is this layout? where are you getting the tracks & trains for this? Can't wait to see your layout finished!
My layout is what can fit into my dinning room in a typical apartment - around 6' x 12'. I have occupied an L space from the rectangular dinning room! (leaving for others to move into adjacent kitchen without disturbing my layout!!)

I am getting them all from UK, mostly from Hattons and Model-Junction, a few from The-Signal-Box and Digitrains (on for DCC, decoder, etc). While Hattons has mostly OO (1:76) scale ones (I took PECO flex-tracks and turnouts from them), Model-Junction appears to have better stock on HO (1:87) scale.

Please wait for a while till I get a long weekend to finish it. I got stuck in the bridge ramp part as it needs to be scientifically true ( 4% inclination max ) and still working on that, so that loco wheels do not slip with a long freight.

In my earlier posts in this thread, I mentioned that I searched almost all important cities where I can find those items and could not! Finally getting them from UK, mostly using the websites of respective shops.

In fact, I was looking for a suitable EMU/DMU set and finally figured out that Japanese PIKO has one (or several) that closely matches Indian Railway regular EMUs. Japanese PIKO bears prohibitive prices and I am not getting a reliable source as well.

Cost is unlimited as it grows with the growth of your layout and how you want it to be. I have started with something simple and generic with a view to mimic a typical Indian town yard with 2 interwoven continuous loops mainline and one siding loop.

I like to keep you all posted as I progress.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd March 2010 at 17:48. Reason: Back to back posts, please wait for moderator approval to edit the original post.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:43   #93
BHPian

Amazing! I can't believe you buy it online from UK! You don't miss anything due to postal negligence? By the way are there any restrictions (say RBI) while buying in foreing currency?

I am visiting US sometime soon for a week and planing to pick one trainset! Still searching for loco/car/track/contoller combination!
Old 6th April 2010, 00:09   #94

Fortunately, so far, I did not loose anything during postal transit. For flex-tracks (long parcel and does not come as regular small-packet parcel) was delayed as Bangalore postal customs wanted some clarification about the use of the material.

Well, I always insisted on Royal Mail (British postal service) 'Signed for - insured' as my preferred shipping method.

I get to know from postal customs that the old restriction, on amount and/or type (read, use), of such imports and related foreign exchange is no longer in place. But they do calculate customs duty not on goods' cost but on the amount of foreign exchange spent, which includes postal charge as well.
Old 18th April 2010, 23:12   #95
BHPian

Finally I got HO scale models!

Yes, after all these years, I could finally lay my hands on these 2 HO scale models. One is EMD SD50 & other GE Dash 8. Got some tracks and rubber beds too on my recent trip to US. Now I am planing to build the track layout and have fun
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-santafe_emd.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-up_ge_dash8.jpg  

Gany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2010, 15:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

this is lovely askssh

i love the switching points system you seem to have fixed up - as also that aqueduct type thing - reminds me of the godavari and mahanadi railway bridges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by askssh View Post
Here are a few pics of what I am trying to do:

...a work still in progress...!

Well, I am trying to model around a typical freight yard with a main line and a loop line close to an Indian industrial town.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2010, 22:28   #97
BHPian

Hornby is back at Odyssey - Chennai!

Guys,
I got a call and an email yesterday from the toys section manager at Odyssey Adyar. They have starting stocking Hornby again. I went and checked out what they have and the assessment is:

1.Quite a bit of scenery and scaledale stuff
2.4 complete sets like the eurostar etc
3.Almost no separate track pieces barring a few points and curves
4.A couple of good loco + wagon sets for 3k

Do check it out.
Old 27th September 2010, 05:22   #98

A few new members in HO scale family

I re-appeared after a long gap - sorry about that! I did a little progress on the model railway part. I got to build 2 layouts (one after the other, utilizing the same tracks and turnouts) and second one is now in place.

I got a few rolling stocks, locomotives from UK, and most recently from US (I am in US at the moment and collected here). I am going to post a few photos here.

A switcher [sw1500]:

Adding Digitrax DCC decoder to this switcher

250Ton Crane for railway accident relief train:
(without this, the railway is incomplete...)

A wagon - mainly to get it converted into a cheap track cleaning solution:

A few more (locomotives) to come.
askssh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2010, 06:52   #99

A few new members in my HO scale family

Here are they.

Heavy duty freight runner FA1 and FB1 of Seaboard railroad - both run excellent with digitrax decoder. I bought them from 'The Train Shop' at Santa Clara and tested on layout of the South Bay Historic Railroad Museum there.

FA1 and FB1 from Proto2000 on my table:

Next is Diesel locomotive dash 8-40CW of Burlington Norfolk Santa Fe (I got to see a few of them while driving toward Las Vegas from Bay Area during US Labor day weekend - They were the real ones!)

This dash 8-40CW has all the functions of DCC sound decoder that an HO scale can have. This is being tested at The Train Shop's test track, below.

(This is probably the smartest one I have now. However, this is yet to reach my home track/layout in Bangalore, along with me, around early Oct)

And the most nostalgic one I have is 4-6-2 President series steam loco of Baltimore & Ohio. This is the type we have seen in India most often, sometimes with a spherical ash-chamber/face though.

Here is 4-6-2 Steam locomotive President Fillmore from Rivarossi.

This model is an old one (but never used). I found it in a San Francisco store, made by Italian Rivarossi during 90s probably and I have added Tsunami sound decoder, which subsequently, a member of Santa Clara South Bay Historic Railroad Museum, has tuned to have a CHUFF sound sync'ed with the cam.
askssh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2010, 19:49   #100
Senior - BHPian

Wow, its really stunning to see all these work. Kudos to you guys who have setup their hobby with such passion!

For train simulation, I would highly suggest trying out Microsoft Train Simulator in which I have spent hours playing. Love the diesel and steam locomotive in it! And I really love playing in the train shed sorting and arranging the carriages.
Old 30th November 2013, 16:43   #101
BHPian

My new proto 2000 diesel.. The sonus mf cloths came in handy for assembly..
Name:  ForumRunner_20131130_164159.png
Views: 1081
Size:  402.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131130_164138.png
Views: 1194
Size:  600.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131130_164110.png
Views: 1093
Size:  470.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131130_164043.png
Views: 1166
Size:  589.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131130_164043.png
Views: 1166
Size:  589.3 KB
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 12:04   #102
BHPian

Re: The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread

Well well well this is one thread i should not miss , i visited Odessy Hyderabad in May Nov 2005 , to my surprise they where selling the Hornby stock for 70 % discount , i picked up merchandise close to a INR 6 digit figure (actual price) , will share my pics shortly .
Old 12th January 2014, 20:55   #103
BHPian

I do model rail roading in N scale. Have been modelling American, British, continental Europe and Japanese outline predominantly freight with very few passenger. Plan to include Japanese commuter and express soon.
Old 13th June 2014, 08:56   #104
BHPian

Hi,
I have moved on to other hobbies and I have for sale some HO sets:
1) Triang Steam Loco with 3 cars
2) Marklin SchienenBus with one lighted car
3) Marklin Coaches -2
These are in good condition although I have not run them for several years. If anyone is interested PM me.
Deepak
Old 30th July 2015, 21:48   #105
BHPian

Some of my N scale train pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-201305084771.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-201305084781.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-wp_20150517_16_54_46_pro1.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-wp_20150517_16_54_54_pro1.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-wp_20150517_16_55_21_pro1.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-wp_20150517_16_55_50_pro1.jpg