Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 23:28   #31
BHPian

Northlandz

Northlandz is the biggest display of model railroad trains in the world. Owned by Bruce Williams, Northlandz contains a variety of sceneries recreated with utmost details. It was also featured on 'Ripley's Believe it or not!'

Northlandz Welcome Page
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-northlandz1.jpg  

Old 28th May 2009, 15:36   #32

My another container ship model

Thanks for appreciating my yacht model. It was very very difficult to built.
I would like to share one more model which I built for one of my client.
It's container ship model. (Length : 3 feet)

Hope you guys like this ?

I think there are many people who are in to model making...

We should have one thread dedicated to model making on which everyone can share their ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-container-ship1.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-container-ship2.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-container-ship3.jpg  

Old 28th May 2009, 15:48   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I would be really glad if any one can tell me where I can buy these sets in Mumbai? I used to see these sets in a shop called India Hobby centre located at Marinelines (dont even know if it still exists). However my folks always felt that I was not matured enough at that point in time.

Hi,

You should contact Mr. Rajesh Kale for the same. He has extra ordinary collection of models of all scales. He has very unique collection.

Thanks,

Shantanu
Old 28th May 2009, 16:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
@Shantanu : You actually made that boat?! WOW!
Please post all such creations of yours. i'm impressed.

Thank you very much..

I will share some more pics of Container Ship model built by me.

regards,

Shantanu
Old 12th June 2009, 15:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
yay - another railwayman at last!
Ive got a Hornby Flying Scotsman scale model - bought around 10 years ago from a Shop called Odyssey in chennai
My dad had gifted me one when I was small and he used to actually help me set it up and play trains each evening when he came back from work.
Unfortunately, like a typical 3-4 year old monster, I decided I wanted to see what was inside the engine and therefore took it apart in a rather unscientific manner - no one could put it back together again!
Therefore I got this replacement approx 23 years later - 10 years ago
I will take some pix of it this evening at home and then post it on this tomorrow for you to see.
Ive been meaning to buy one more (vintage train) from Hornby or even maybe the Hogwarts Express but last time in the UK i didnt have enough space. I want to run two trains together and see if I can manage crossings etc, but this means a lot more equipment and I need to slowly build it up!
cheerio
Does Odessey still stock Hornby ? or anywhere else in chennai ?
Old 14th June 2009, 00:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

This is an interesting thread.
In the days of old, and mainly abroad, a train set was a fundamental toy to have, just like play station today. And it could develop into a serious hobby. Today it is mainly the older generation that plays with them. The main reasons are finacial, and other interests.
There are 3 to 4 standard scales, but the most popular and accurate is the HO scale, 1:87. You get trains, tracks, cars, houses, anything to build a lifelike scenario. This trip in Germany I saw 2 built up sets. Mostly these are set up on table-tennis sized tables and are either in the basement or in the attic. You get signals that work, level crossongs that come down when a train approaches, very very fascinating. You can even change tracks, first it was done manually, later on electical switching was also possible.
The best companies were Marklin, Fleishmann and RoCo. Very life like models. The best for the cars etc. is a company called Wiking.
It always depends upon how much you spend to have detailed setups. In the first stage you can set up the tracks and the trains move with power supplied through the rails. Then you can go one step further and install overhead cabelling. Train can be run simultaneously with both systems, steam engines cannot use overhead supply. You can go further and illuminate passenge coaches. Then you can install street light and put lights in houses. When one sees such a train set duly set up, it is so very fascinating for children and adults alike.
In Germany you can even buy used stuff at sales which are held somewhere or the other every weekend. And they have two major shows every year dedicated to train sets.
I have not mentioned Hornby because these were mainly in plastic, the others mentioned by me were metal with greater detailing, much more sturdy. Am not aware if Hornby later also had metal bodied trains.
I kept what I had collected, but discontinued for 3 reasons, space, time and money. Tikuji-ni-wadi at Thane had a room with a running trainset, I do not know if it is still there.

Happy train-ing harit

Last edited by harit : 14th June 2009 at 00:57.
Old 17th June 2009, 19:57   #37
BHPian

Hi all,
One of my uncle is working in Railway Workshop, Mahalaxmi (Mumbai); around 3 months ago, he has gone to Integral Coach Factory, Chennai where he saw the model of Indian Railway Engines & also the local trains for sale for Rs. 1000/- each.
All models works on a 6 volts battery
Old 21st June 2009, 17:00   #38
BHPian

Photos of a steam loco and diesel locomotive that I have in N gauge.
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-upload12.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-upload13.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-upload14.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-upload15.jpg  

Old 23rd June 2009, 14:35   #39

Pls share some more pic. These are really beautiful
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantanu Borate View Post
Pls share some more pic. These are really beautiful
Dear Shantanu,

The models you have built are great.

Few more photos, actually had not clicked many photos. Have posted some more model vehicle photos in the scale models thread, check them.
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-uploadnew1.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-uploadnew2.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-uploadnew3.jpg  

Old 19th July 2009, 00:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Hi all,
One of my uncle is working in Railway Workshop, Mahalaxmi (Mumbai); around 3 months ago, he has gone to Integral Coach Factory, Chennai where he saw the model of Indian Railway Engines & also the local trains for sale for Rs. 1000/- each.
All models works on a 6 volts battery
Canot I get them in Kolkata?I am dying for Indian rail

@Amitv8 I had same train model (2nd one),most probably gifted by some one,but I was mere child then,I destroyed that
Amit,you always showed nice collection at right price.May I ask you,what is "treasure island" shop of collection in Kolkata (I cant find single one satisfactory,all are bought either from abroad or Delhi)
Old 24th July 2009, 01:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_bmw View Post
@Amitv8 I had same train model (2nd one),most probably gifted by some one,but I was mere child then,I destroyed that
Amit,you always showed nice collection at right price.May I ask you,what is "treasure island" shop of collection in Kolkata (I cant find single one satisfactory,all are bought either from abroad or Delhi)
thanks for the comment.
the only place where you will get them is WONDERLAND TOYS (Park Street) opposite Music World. BUT..price is HUGE. a single engine will cost 5000/6000 or maybe 7000 depending on the model. you will get tracks, buildings, trees, farmyards etc all made by Hornby as well as various coaches, railway crossings etc. the collection is good, not excellent but that is the only place. these are real scale models. as far as toys are concerned local toy shops are the place to look for. the set i got from Wonderland-
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-1.jpg
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-2.jpg

anyways, i got this Hornby Intercity 125 recently. will post more pictures later.
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-3.jpg
Old 25th July 2009, 01:34   #43
BHPian

AmitV8,I remember I visited Wonderland Toys,when I was a Kid.It will be a fun for me if I visit now,again.Thank you very much for detailed street direction and I wish you welcome for appreciation of my critism.
Anyway,I found a strange place online-that is Indian Railway Museum's online shop.
:::National Rail Museum:::

The collection is wounderful man.Why dont you shoot pictures at more romantic place Amit? Even with your existing camera you can get more good shots.

Last edited by abhishek_bmw : 25th July 2009 at 01:46.
Old 12th September 2009, 11:10   #44

My first Indian Railway Coach model

Hi Guys,

Here is my first Indian Railway coach model in HO scale (1:87).

It is not yet finished but couldn't stop myself from posting few pics.

I am sure you will like it..

Shantanu
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-bogie1.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-bogie2.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-coach1.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-coach2.jpg  

Old 7th October 2009, 09:05   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Does Odessey still stock Hornby ? or anywhere else in chennai ?
Yes Odessey still stocks Hornby Collections - Infact We have a huge collection of trains [read 6] with a 6 feet by 4 feet track setup too.. will post pics soon..

Most Viewed