Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 22:30   #1
BHPian

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread

Do any of you collect train sets? I have two HO scale sets. More details later enjoy a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-train1.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-train2.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 13th December 2009 at 16:54. Reason: Post edited:Two pics deleted. Pictures containing alcohol are strictly prohibited on Team BHP. Please go through the Rules. Thanks.
Old 14th May 2008, 16:30   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yay - another railwayman at last!
Ive got a Hornby Flying Scotsman scale model - bought around 10 years ago from a Shop called Odyssey in chennai
My dad had gifted me one when I was small and he used to actually help me set it up and play trains each evening when he came back from work.
Unfortunately, like a typical 3-4 year old monster, I decided I wanted to see what was inside the engine and therefore took it apart in a rather unscientific manner - no one could put it back together again!
Therefore I got this replacement approx 23 years later - 10 years ago
I will take some pix of it this evening at home and then post it on this tomorrow for you to see.
Ive been meaning to buy one more (vintage train) from Hornby or even maybe the Hogwarts Express but last time in the UK i didnt have enough space. I want to run two trains together and see if I can manage crossings etc, but this means a lot more equipment and I need to slowly build it up!
cheerio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Do any of you collect train sets? I have two HO scale sets. More details later enjoy a few pics
Old 14th May 2008, 16:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ive got a Hornby Flying Scotsman scale model - bought around 10 years ago from a Shop called Odyssey in chennai
My dad had gifted me one when I was small and he used to actually help me set it up and play trains each evening when he came back from work.
Unfortunately, like a typical 3-4 year old monster, I decided I wanted to see what was inside the engine and therefore took it apart in a rather unscientific manner - no one could put it back together again!
I will take some pix of it this evening at home and then post it on this tomorrow for you to see.
Ive been meaning to buy one more (vintage train) from Hornby or even maybe the Hogwarts Express but last time in the UK i didnt have enough space. I want to run two trains together and see if I can manage crossings etc, but this means a lot more equipment and I need to slowly build it up!
cheerio
would love to see how u'll get the crossing done on this...
do u have a setup ready...
can u please post the pics..
BTW
i still play the Railroad Tycoon game on my PC...
Old 14th May 2008, 17:01   #4

We recently threw away my dads old train set. It was purchased in the late 60s i think. It was all together but didnt work. Then my brother started playing with it and alas!!!
Old 14th May 2008, 23:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
cheerio
WOW that is one beauty. It would be nice if we had a different thread. Sadly, I don't get enough time to play with my trains. This can be a super expensive hobby and it would be useless if you didn't have enough space to set up your train set. Here is an example of what people do with their train sets
Old 15th May 2008, 10:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
WOW that is one beauty. It would be nice if we had a different thread. Sadly, I don't get enough time to play with my trains. This can be a super expensive hobby and it would be useless if you didn't have enough space to set up your train set. Here is an example of what people do with their train sets
YouTube - Trains Running Through the Scenery & Layout Tour (Part 2)
awesome...
nice video there
simply loved his setup...
did ya see his other videos... how he layed up the tracks and everything... WOW
Old 15th May 2008, 13:25   #7
BANNED

ive got the normal 00 scale hornby trakmat setup - each time I want to play trains I have to set the whole thing up - mainly because while I do have space in my upstairs music room, ive got three large dogs who love to pick up things and play with them, themselves - so I cant leave my trains and cars lying around, for fear of them being appropriated by one or other of the dogs!
one of these days I will set it up and take pics and post them for you to see.

I want to buy the second train with a full set of tracks - this way I can creat a parallel setup and some extra sidings where I can park some of the rolling stock and run one full set plus one engine and tender alone - this will also need a level crossing setup but I can buy all this only next time I travel to the UK.

I am posting however, a pic where you can see a toy train set up in the Railway Museum in York in which people can actually ride - (small kids) and of course the driver who is a full sized man and a model train / landscape setup in the Motor Museum in Coventry.

Another place you can see some phenomenal setups is the Great Railway Museum in Delhi as also the Indian Museum or Nehru Children's Museum in Calcutta if I remember right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapszone View Post
would love to see how u'll get the crossing done on this...
do u have a setup ready...
can u please post the pics..
BTW
i still play the Railroad Tycoon game on my PC...
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-toytrain-kidsyork.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-model-train-setup-coventry.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-train-drvier.jpg  

Old 15th May 2008, 13:29   #8
BANNED

yuppo
i guess we can start a thread on scale model trains eh?
im sure the mods wont mind - maybe they can begin an "official train scale model thread" for us!
but i agree the costs are huge - you can peacefully blow thousands of pounds and lakhs of rupees on scale model trains - each part is pretty expensive. each train is quite expensive.
but its a great hobby and my own dream is to have a basement later which is out of bounds for my dogs and set up a permanent train landscape there on a low wooden platform!
may as well make a start this year by buying a few more trains and assorted equipment!

Quote:
YouTube - Trains Running Through the Scenery & Layout Tour (Part 2)
Old 15th May 2008, 13:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

This thread gets a from me.

I will watch this carefully - simply love train sets but own none. In fact I think the Yeti might have a lot to offer on this thread too.

Come fellows - out with your pictures. I am waiting.
Old 15th May 2008, 13:55   #10
BANNED

Fantastic thread. I had a train set too when I was very young. This didn't have crossings but had those turn-offs (what are they called in railway terminology? Edit: Railroad Switches). Sadly I don't remember the name and I gave it away to another child a few years ago.

There's something about trains that fascinates almost every young boy. For more on grown up men who are still fascinated by trains, visit IRFCA - The Indian Railways Fan Club

Last edited by hrag : 15th May 2008 at 13:59.
Old 15th May 2008, 17:57   #11
BHPian

I have Hornby Pannier loco and Lima BR Class 37 loco (all OO gauge)
Also have ~15 coaches and containers/wagons/tankers etc.

Will post photos later.

Presently, they are all in a box

I also re-painted some locos in Indian Railways liveries. They are available in Train-Sim.Com Microsoft Train Simulator Kuju Rail Simulator And More

Last edited by sbasak : 15th May 2008 at 17:59.
Old 15th May 2008, 18:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice. Interesting thread. Do the engines toot their horns and make sounds?

Nice unconventional idea to have them trains chugging along in between beer bottles.
Old 15th May 2008, 18:23   #13
BHPian

I would be really glad if any one can tell me where I can buy these sets in Mumbai? I used to see these sets in a shop called India Hobby centre located at Marinelines (dont even know if it still exists). However my folks always felt that I was not matured enough at that point in time.
Old 15th May 2008, 18:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Is the first picture a Lima train set? I used to have a scale model of the TGV when i was a kid. Unlike most cheapo ones that have batteries in the locomotive, this one actually was powered off the track with no batteries in the train itself.

Its was really neat. Sitting in my cupboard somewhere with a dead locomotive. Any idea where we can get these? Would love to get another one .
Old 15th May 2008, 18:35   #15
F50
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread. I just love trains. Love locos the most.
As a kid, whenever I traveled by train, I used to stand on the bridge just to see the Passenger Trains(not locals) pass by, sometimes even today.
I had a train set dont remember anything, which looked like the current Garib Rath lol. Got it from Singapore.

Are there any 1:18 types models of Locos? Do we get in anywhere in Mumbai?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks