Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 11:27   #106
BHPian

A small beginning: My HO scale model Train & Railroad layout

Dear Friends,

I just stumbled upon the Scale modelling thread in this section and thought of sharing my progress of my HO scale freelance train layout.

Way back in 2007, when I was posted in South Africa, i came across a colleague from Germany who shared with me his passion for model railroading. Till that point of time, I had no clue that something like this existed. Since I loved trains, it immediately gathered my attention and after lots of reading in the web, watching things in youtube, i thought, i should get into the hobby. Adding to the interest in trains, certain aspects in the hobby which involves a lot of creativity and DIY made me more interested as I love DIY.

I bought a Atlas Diesel train set with some tracks and made a 8x4 layout back at home. I had a good learning experience and shortly that was dismantled as it was occupying space and very uncomfortable. Then, for few years, my train and tracks were lying in the loft. Then, during 2011, it came back to me and thinking of various possibilities, could not arrive at a proper space and ended up doing a 7'x1' shelf layout, a very small switching layout. I was not satisfied and again went into thinking, how can i make this big given that I am living in an apartment, not having luxury of garage space (like our friends in the USA) and also pursue this hobby slowly, doing a good job. After a lot of thinking, I decided to do another shelf layout, this time on a full length wall of 19 feet in my living room, hoping that I can extend this along other walls later.

First module is 7' x 1'
Second module is 12' x 1.25'
A total length of 19'

There is no continuous run and it is a pure industrial layout on HO scale with a small Harbour front, a goods yard etc.,

I am not doing it based on any specific era or any location, but, I give importance to the best possible reality I can achieve given the constraints.

Constraints :
  • If I want anything, I need to depend on someone who is travelling from the USA to bring it for me, but, it is OK, I am slowly getting what I want
  • I am trying to make my own stuff with available materials in India
  • SPACE
  • Few things are expensive

Nevertheless, I think I am making good progress and again, I do not get into too much detail like, "how can I use a Union Pacific loco alongside a Sante Fe loco ?" I just want to have good, practical, operational layout with realistic scenery within my abilities and to have fun creating the same. Later, I am sure, I will do multiple railroads, interchanges etc., when i have the luxury of space.

What do I currently have ?

1 x GP38 Santa Fe loco with MRC sound decoder
1 x GP39 Union Pacific loc with MRC sound decoder
8 x different cars like reefers, gondola, box car, hoppers etc.,
total of 6 turnouts (motorised)

Originally my locos were standard DC and then I added the sound decoders to it when I bought my NEC POWERCAB DCC system recently. I will soon try and add a ALCO Mogul steam locomotive with some more rolling stock and more tracks which I will use it on another wall with a different theme and connect both these layouts using removable modular bridges.

Sorry for writing so much without any photos. I am just adding a sample below and will add more photos shortly on the progress.

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-wp_20160329_0011.jpg
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-wp_20160329_0021.jpg

Current status of the Layout :

All the bench work completed on the wall. The benchwork was done using Pine wood frames and 2" thermocol on top of it.

All tracks laid and basic landscaping done. I am re-doing certain portions of it as I have learnt more tricks recently.

Temporarily fixed the back ground for the layout which has low profile structures as I will be using that track mostly for the Industries. This saves a lot of space and also gives a good back drop. A portion of the background has a mountain/hill which is of sedimentary rocks (i love it). The industries are :

Cement Industry
Grain elevator
Cold storage warehousing
Lubricant manufacturing plant
A beer manufacturing plant
Saw Mill
Coal mine
Lumber dealer
Harbour
etc.,

I will explain each of these through pictures in the days to come and as I progress.

Except for the Locomotives, rolling stock and tracks, everything is being hand made i.e., all the structures using foam board, signs, street lamps, signals, landscaping, pool, water body, mountains, fences, roads etc.,

All the figures are unpainted and then hand painted. I recently bought and airbrush for weathering purposes and I will use for my locos and rolling stocks soon.

Hope you will enjoy this thread and I am happy to share this for any future hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts.

This is an extremely rewarding hobby and you can apply many skills like

Woodworking
Carving
Painting
Electrical
Electronics
Miniature creations
Overall creativity
and then also RUN the trains as in real life, that is the beauty.

Will post more pictures of the full layout in its Current stage tomorrow.

Swami
Old 29th March 2016, 15:21   #107
BHPian

re: A small beginning: My HO scale model Train & Railroad layout

Wow! That's a dreamland for a DIY enthusiast!! When I was a kid, one of our family friends, an uncle had this hobby. He is a doctor and had moved to our neighbourhood from UK. He moved back few years back. He had a huuuuge setup with these working trains and terrain and lots of tracks put up on a massive table in a big hall in his house. Since then I've always thought of starting it as a hobby in future. Had mentioned it to my wife a few times too. But I hadn't started checking the details and sourcing info on it yet. Thanks for this thread and thanks for sharing the info. Its an amazing DIY hobby. Good luck and wish you lots and lots of fun building it!

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th August 2019 at 12:22.
Old 29th March 2016, 18:58   #108
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

This is lovely. As a model Train enthusiast myself, I appreciate your work.

There is another thread on this forum dedicated to Model Trains though - so I guess the Mods will merge this with that thread...
Old 29th March 2016, 22:10   #109
BANNED

That's a great hobby, swami69, and I wish you all success in your plans. I had always envied a lucky family member - a distant uncle - who was the only one I knew who had this hobby of HO train modelling. During every visit to Kolkata during school vacations, it was vital to visit this gentleman's home in Ekdalia so that we - a couple of cousins & I - had another opportunity to see his marvellous layout in action!

As a boy I had been doing Meccano modelling and by 14 had got as far as making a standard open differential (with the Type-B gear set) and fitting it to an open 4-wheeled chassis with rudimentary, but operational steering, just to see the mechanism in action. At the time I had been gifted the gear set and Meccano's own #5 set to set me off!
Old 29th March 2016, 23:36   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice. I used to have an N-gauge model train lay-out. Still have all my track, rolling stock, houses etc in boxes in my loft.

Always nice to see somebody enjoying this hobby. Look forward to some updates how you are getting on.

Jeroen
Old 30th March 2016, 07:11   #111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I had a Hornby Flying Scotsman which my Dad brought back years ago when I was a kid.

Having ruined it as a kid, around 17 years back when these were suddenly available in India, I went and bought another one along with the original Trak Mat and all the rest of it. On subsequent travels I ve been thinking I will buy the Hogwarts Express just as a memento. But I haven't got around to it.

I subscribe to the Hornby e Magazine and see what lovely stuff they keep coming out with on a regular basis.

I take it out occasionally but for the most part it is quietly sitting in my "Model Cupboard"...because when I set it up and run it about, my dogs get hassled. The same way they get hassled if I pull out one of the remote controlled cars or helicopter or any of these "whirring little toys..."

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th March 2016 at 07:12.
Old 30th March 2016, 16:08   #112
kkg
BHPian

Re: The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread

So good to see this hobby being enjoyed. I can relate to the enthusiasm in all of the above posts by fellow BHPians because I have seen all these in my house with my elder brother. He has turned his hobby and passion into his profession and now owns http://www.decibelscalemodels.com .

Earlier I used to think he is crazy but now I guess he is not alone.
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:40   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
So good to see this hobby being enjoyed. I can relate to the enthusiasm in all of the above posts by fellow BHPians because I have seen all these in my house with my elder brother. He has turned his hobby and passion into his profession and now owns http://www.decibelscalemodels.com .
Earlier I used to think he is crazy but now I guess he is not alone.
That was great kkg - what a marvellous idea to turn one's hobby into a profession! The prices - what I saw on the website - may not be exactly middle-class. but a great start nonetheless. I wish him all success!
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:10   #114
Senior - BHPian

Reviving this thread. Got back into my love for model rail road. Picked up a 00 Hornby Flying Scotsman set, an 0-4-0 single locomotive and lots of used freight wagons (11nos). Layout is based on a Hornby Track Extension Pack A (Came with the Scotsman set) + B+C+D. I am already bored with the layout. Want to make it more interesting while maintaining same dimensions else it feels like a train going round a Christmas tree.

The store is called Macks's Track located at Plimmerton railway station, Wellington. Decided to carry a fixed amount of cash the next time I got to this store. The presence of a debit/credit card is asking for trouble.
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-img_1900.jpg
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-img_2164.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-6b84e792291d45dba0556ee8a7e21f5c.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-88ca456093644a82915a0c4c2ef65348.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-a5fd68c27fca44e7a5cc24fdcc3593e7.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-edb5989ca0ae458d9a1e3e6e3d2bac75.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-img_2202.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-img_2204.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-img_2205.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-img_1921.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-img_1923.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-img_1924.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd March 2018 at 05:20.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 03:35   #115
Senior - BHPian

I visited Middleton Model Rail road at a small sleepy town called Eketahuna.
http://www.cwmglyn.co.nz/

This also happens to be a small cheese making facility ranked No. 62 in the world.

The place is run by a retired couple from the UK. They moved to New Zealand 40 years ago. The gentlemen Colin is a model rail road hack and ex Kiwi rail employee. His collection goes back to the 1960's. The layout is massive and there are multiple layouts and possibly every scale known. I saw a 3mm track width scale too! Some layouts have train controls for children to access so its not just looking around.

Middleton sells stuff too. They have popular brands such as Hornby, Bachmann, Frateschi. Atlas, Peco track are available as well. Everything you need to get started into model rail road and even things you need if you do end up taking it seriously are all present. All you need is a lot of space and a lot of dough :-)

Sharing some pictures of Middleton and a picture of my updated layout. I got a new Hornby Railroad Deltic 55 diesel. It is only after I purchased it did I get to learn about the locomotive more which was powered by two Deltic supercharged, valveless, diesel engines, which explains two exhaust outlets on the roof. Only 22 made back in the 1960's with a top speed of 160Kmph. Retired back in the 90's.
Attached Thumbnails
The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-middleton.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-middleton2.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-middleton3.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-middleton4.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-middleton5.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-mylayout.jpg  

The Model Railroad and Train Sets Thread-deltic55.jpg  

sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 17:43   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
http://www.cwmglyn.co.nz/

Everything you need to get started into model rail road and even things you need if you do end up taking it seriously are all present. All you need is a lot of space and a lot of dough :-)

Sharing some pictures of Middleton and a picture of my updated layout. I got a new Hornby Railroad Deltic 55 diesel. It is only after I purchased it did I get to learn about the locomotive more which was powered by two Deltic supercharged, valveless, diesel engines, which explains two exhaust outlets on the roof. Only 22 made back in the 1960's with a top speed of 160Kmph. Retired back in the 90's.
How much luckier can you get SandeepMohan you so and so. Whip out your camera and share some serious photos of your treasures.
Old 13th August 2019, 17:37   #117

Model railroad is awesome hobby and sad to see so few pages for this thread.
Anyways I am posting few of my model train pictures made by myself. I am sure you will like it.

Shantanu Borate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 07:35   #118
BANNED

Quote:
Reviving this thread. Got back into my love......

Quote:
http://www.cwmglyn.co.nz/......Retired back in the 90's.
Two great posts, sandeepmohan! A fabulous hobby (but needs dough tho', as you yourself mention!) and a perfect way to keep busy if you have the dedication & of course the time.

Going through the thread I am tempted too. But I guess I shall stick to reviving my earlier, boyhood passion for Meccano modelling.
Old 14th August 2019, 12:17   #119

Model of Shatabdi express LHB coach of Indian Railways in HO scale

Last edited by Shantanu Borate : 14th August 2019 at 12:29.
Shantanu Borate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 10:33   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantanu Borate View Post
Model of Shatabdi express LHB coach of Indian Railways in HO scale
It is certainly creditable Shantanu Borate to have made the model yourself. Are HO scale models available for Indian Railway items in Kolkata? After going through the thread one is sorely tempted to give it a try!

Most Viewed