Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 02:34   #16
BHPian

Hi Guys. I have a 1 yr 3 months old Labrador by name casper. My fiance wants a small dog as her pet. She has more experience in having pets as they have had several dogs in the past as pets (all of them were mongrels or cross breds). After our marriage this new puppy is gonna stay in my house and give company to my lab.

I want to gift her a puppy on her birthday. She wants a pug in particular or a small breed dog. please suggest what would be the price of a pug puppy. Also which other small breed dog is the best to have as a pet.
Old 12th August 2008, 04:05   #17
aZa
Senior - BHPian

err i think this thread is about adoption right?

Anyway, A PUG will cost you anything between 15K to 25K (without papers to with papers/imported/champion pedigree.. etc). Another small breed i would recommend is a french bulldog, its same size as a PUG, but while pugs are fat and cuddly. French bulldogs are stout and muscular. They are happy staying inside the house. Very low maintaince and very very lovable.

Btw A street dog near my house has given birth to about 8 pups, 6 are up for adoption. They are 1 month old and healthy. If nothing works out i'll be dropping them at the SPCA.

Last edited by aZa : 12th August 2008 at 04:06.
aZa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2008, 04:18   #18
BHPian

Great thread and may help benefit some of Man's best friends abandoned/offered by owners.

Angers: Thank you for initiating the thread. Hope this turns out to be the way to help present and future owners set chords within themselves.

As you would notice my avtar shows my Lab on the wheels of my Indigo (Previous Ownership). I have had the company of this little wonder for over 3 years. While I had some problems getting "Arnie" as he is called into the house, with major resistance from my mom who loves cleanliness ( Which incidentally vanished with Arnie's arrival ), all in the family have grown really fond of our new family member.

Here’s a small instance would like to share with everyone. The Pic on the avtar was during my visit to Pantanagar from Delhi, where I have relatives. Arnie somehow knew we were to go back home after a couple of days stay. Even though I had been opening and closing the car for various reasons, this was the first time that he ran and jumped into the car and settled on the drivers seat and got glued till much persuasion . This was well before the time we were to leave. This was when I chanced on the pic posted here.
nishant_kingpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2008, 23:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
@ Swiftron,
Don't wish to discourage you or anything, but i just wish to put forth my two-bits of Lab experience.

The Labrador Retriever as a breed is very people friendly and a popular choice for a family pet. However, it's a common misconception that only puppies get along very well with kids.

In fact, up until two years of age, Labs are considered to be pups and are full of beans. As a breed they are so playful and and energetic that they tend to break many a glassware items with their enthusiastic tail-wagging.

On the other hand, they tend to mature at around 4-5 years of age when they become really safe to keep amongst kids. Till such time i'd advise a potential owner to be on their guard.

I repeat, however,

A Labrador if true to it's breed, CANNOT BE AGGRESSIVE.
Not all mate, The foremost reason why i recommended a labrador over other breeds is because they are the most friendlier kind. Pretty easy to maintain other than the time when they shed a lot of hair. Our family has had only Dobermans in the past for almost 40yrs. And about 11yrs back we had our first Labrador(Twins) and a Dalmatian, the first time we had a breed other than that of Doberman. Unfortunately, one of the Labs passed away about 2 months back due to Renal problems(common among labs). So i got a Rottwieler and another Labrador again. For first timers, i would always recommend a lab.

For our other friend who wanted to buy a PUG, they generally have a lot of health problems, so i would recommend you to find a pedigree breed rather than from a local breeder. It is important to look at both the mother and fathers medical history before picking up a PUG.
Old 12th August 2008, 23:18   #20
BHPian

Anyone knows what is the price of a french/english bulldog and other small breed dogs. Please let me know. I need to buy a small breed before end of september.
Old 13th August 2008, 01:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftron View Post
For our other friend who wanted to buy a PUG, they generally have a lot of health problems, so i would recommend you to find a pedigree breed rather than from a local breeder. It is important to look at both the mother and fathers medical history before picking up a PUG.
Righton. Pugs have a long list o fproblems. Main amongst them is breating problems so they cannot be expected to be and are not very playful as other breeds. A slightly longish walk will have them snorting and gasping. thats why they are prone to obesity.They also tend to get overtly heated. Best is to get another small breed like a daschund or a cocker spaniel.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2008, 01:56   #22
aZa
Senior - BHPian

PUGS and even french bulldogs tend to have a short palate problem. They also have stubby nose which leads to breathing problems. But its not something one can't take care off. Things like keep the wrinkles on the face of the dog clean after the meals and keeping them warm in winters with coats/sweaters etc. They do tend to over heat and tend to love AC's , but they are bundle of energy, so short stints in the lawn or balcony should be fine. Another thing that i missed is ... they snore! and LOUDLY

If you are a first time owner then Daschund is also a lovely breed. They are very strong health wise.
Old 13th August 2008, 11:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
PUGS and even french bulldogs tend to have a short palate problem. They also have stubby nose which leads to breathing problems. But its not something one can't take care off. Things like keep the wrinkles on the face of the dog clean after the meals and keeping them warm in winters with coats/sweaters etc. They do tend to over heat and tend to love AC's , but they are bundle of energy, so short stints in the lawn or balcony should be fine. Another thing that i missed is ... they snore! and LOUDLY

If you are a first time owner then Daschund is also a lovely breed. They are very strong health wise.
You are right, its not something that we cant take care of. On the other hand, i would want a puppy with a longer life span. I have had 2 labradors for over 10yrs now. Labradors tend to have renal problems, skin infections and also their legs tend to get weak since they put on weight. Fortunately for me my dogs have always been on a a normal diet(home made porridge). Most people these days feed dogs with retail food which is not that good, even though they work wonders in terms of supplement i would still prefer home made food over them. Pugs also shed their hair throughout the year, whereas most other breeds shed only once or twice a year. I would suggest people to go for Daschund or Cocker Spaniel as V-16 suggested.
Swiftron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2008, 12:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Labradors seem to get health problems once they get 7 - 8 years old. Thats my experience with two Labradors we had at my ancestral place. It has two large lawns where Labs could run/play and got goos exercise, otherwise even diabetes is a big threat for Labs. And Summers in North India seem too harsh for them.

OTOH, We had a pair of Daschund (Cross Breed) and they seemed much healthier.
Old 13th August 2008, 13:06   #25
BHPian

I too agree with NetfreakBombay in that Labs are prone to health problems but I think it's mostly due to the ignorance or lack of care and time-spending with our pets.

If we follow a proper diet and exercise regimen, most of the health problems of Labs can be avoided.

I myself am a hard-core Labrador lover. All my previous pets have been Labs.

Just my 2 cents of opinion.

By the way - GREETINGS to all Dog Lovers on this forum from SHOGUN!!

Name:  Picture1.bmp
Views: 1475
Size:  215.8 KB Name:  Picture2.bmp
Views: 2337
Size:  216.5 KB Name:  Picture3.bmp
Views: 1466
Size:  216.7 KB Name:  Picture6.bmp
Views: 1423
Size:  216.7 KB
andy_dog_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2008, 13:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

SHOGUN is absolutely cute. He must be 50-60 days old ?
Old 13th August 2008, 14:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Shogun is cute, awesome pup.
Old 13th August 2008, 15:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
SHOGUN is absolutely cute. He must be 50-60 days old ?
Thanks guys. But these pics are old. Now he's almost 10 months old and has grown cuter and cuter.

Have latest pics on my home computer. Will upload if you like.
Old 13th August 2008, 15:39   #29
aZa
Senior - BHPian

andy please upload, SHOGUN is really adorable
Old 13th August 2008, 23:03   #30
BHPian

Guys can you please provide contact details of a good breeder in bangalore. I need it urgently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks