Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:27   #46
BANNED

The Indian society is possibly the harshest on women. The very definition of an Indian women is laced with words like sacrifice, suffering, kindness and forgiveness, so no wonder every man here feels he has a natural domineering right over any women here.

Our women/daughters need to be infused with courage, dignity and awareness of individual rights and encouragement to speak out against wrong without fear. This, and education will make this a better place for them.
Old 24th August 2010, 17:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Sexual harrasment in public-how to help

I was disturbed to read the experience of the ladies in the article below :

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/index...11242856db3699

How can we help them when we are faced with such situations in public ?

One idea comes to my mind, that I can try to implement : just walk up to the girl being harassed, strike up a conversation like you are a long lost friend, or the hubby. The morons might just disappear.

As a father of 2 girls, I invite some more practical suggestions from fellow members
Old 24th August 2010, 18:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

I read the article in the morning and was shaken up a bit myself! I think we should proactively talk about these incidents with our loved ones and create awareness. Awareness creates preparedness and intuitiveness that can help one slide out of a dirty situation without serious damage. Physical strength is not the solution here, only thoughtful and timely moves can save the day. One thing I would suggest is screaming "Police", that grabs peoples attention...from there on, its the creativity of the women that will ensure proper public action against the miscreants.

I have taken a vow, if I find someone doing something dirty with the support of the public, if I get any, I will beat the guy up mercilessly and make sure I get his/their a$$ parked in the police station with a FIR lodged against him/them.

Trust me, if incidents of public fightback become prevalent on the news paper instead of "public remained silent", these bloody miscreants will think a million times before acting funny.
Old 24th August 2010, 18:13   #49
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Threads merged, please search the forums before starting new threads
Old 24th August 2010, 18:20   #50
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly, the mob gets in to act against a poor car driver for no fault of his in support to a biker or a pedestrian who was at fault in Bangalore. And a mob never reaches a fenzy in trying to stop sexual harrasment. Guess it's more to do with the deplorable attitude of the same public, who might have rather started enjoying watching crimes againt women!
I guess, it's time women on the road arm themselves with peppersprays or other potent weapon and hit back directly.
Our public has become extremely selfish and will never fight back unless their "mother" or "sister" or "wife" or "daughter" is involved.
Once I saw an old drunkard fondling a school girl in a bus between Manipal and Udupi.
That was the only time I hit some one. And I left that old pervert bloody nosed. Other travellers in the bus started clapping. Before getting off the bus I yelled back at them. Shame on you - waiting for other person to help and then clapping.
Nowadays I close my eyes, ears, etc when on the road.
Old 24th August 2010, 18:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post

As a father of 2 girls, I invite some more practical suggestions from fellow members
I think the subject of the email sent in this news says it all. "It's not common anymore".

Teach them it's right to retaliate, after analyzing the situation though. From my experience, crowd does not like to interfere unless specifically asked for, for the fear of legal/other issues. Also, sometimes crowd itself can be harmful, better to avoid such places.

personally I think a physical blow is much more tolerable than a sexually oriented attack. A women coming back with a stick or stone in her hand is more likely to encounter a physical assault than a lewd one. if not, the attacker will be pulped.

also see my earlier posts. We as a society are responsible for weakening our women folks.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:42   #52
BHPian

My personal advice would be to stay away from such issues which till that point is not affecting you. If you put your head into it, god knows what is going to come out of it.

There could be so many scenarios out of it. Think of all the possible dirty outcome which you will be bringing upon yourself for nothing and scoot the place.

If you are not bothered about you and the people who loves you then i guess there won't be any inhibitions for anyone in going ahead and being a filmy hero.

Mind your business and stay clear for things you can't handle.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:09   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
My personal advice would be to stay away from such issues which till that point is not affecting you. If you put your head into it, god knows what is going to come out of it.

There could be so many scenarios out of it. Think of all the possible dirty outcome which you will be bringing upon yourself for nothing and scoot the place.

If you are not bothered about you and the people who loves you then i guess there won't be any inhibitions for anyone in going ahead and being a filmy hero.

Yes, perfectly said but only until you/your near ones become the target of it.
We have to speak out fearlessly unless we want the cities to be over run by criminals.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post

Depends On Personal Opinion and The way a person is Brought up, I have been taught not To act indiferrently and Run away like a Chicken!! Simple Logic God Forbid it could be someone we cherish thats at the recieving end and GOOD SAMIRITANS decide to act Indifferent and mind there own business. This is Simply my opinion.
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:06   #55
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
Uh....never, ever, interfere in the private matters of a couple, no matter how violent they get. If you intervene physically, you might find that the victimized party (usually the female) actually hold you (the knight in shining armour) to blame more than their spouse. That's how it works.

Also, it is just an assumption that they were hubby and wifey. Could be any 'other' type of relationship disguised to appear as such in public. Don't interfere, if someone really needs help they'll ask for it. Lots of things go on in every society that we do not like, people indulge in fetishes and elaborate role-playing too.

Intervening in such matters will only cause more misery for all concerned.
I would not get involved in any way. This may be a drama too. We never know. I agree with the above quote and also as some one said "if they ask for help, then there is a point for some one to help" That too I would think it should be the Police.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
This may be a drama too. We never know. I agree with the above quote and also as some one said "if they ask for help, then there is a point for some one to help" That too I would think it should be the Police.
Sad state of affairs, but you can always assess the situation and take a call accordingly. If for example you are in a bus and the incident occurs, the chances of it being a drama are negligible and your life is usually not at stake. Whereas if you spot something at a secluded location, you might be doubly cautious.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:52   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I have always advocated raising girls who kick back in retaliation than break down and cry. We Indians would rather suppress our girls emotional and physical strength, than empower them to be independent (for the fear that they will bring shame to the family). Just think how difficult it is for a girl to get permission for a 5 day trek compared to a boy child. And that makes them susceptible to all kinds of abuses.
Hear hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post

She kept feeling horrible till the next batch of ladies started coming to a spot on the platform where the ladies compartment halts. She narrated the entire incident to the ladies/friends and the 2 guys were hammered mercilessly till their clothes tore. They tried fleeing initially but were caught by some other guys who thought they were pick pocketers.
WOO HOO! More power them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
The Indian society is possibly the harshest on women. The very definition of an Indian women is laced with words like sacrifice, suffering, kindness and forgiveness, so no wonder every man here feels he has a natural domineering right over any women here.
HELL yes! I watch all these stupid serials on TV and movies where women themselves subject themselves to the most abject humiliation possible without standing up for themselves and it just makes me angry. When will these wimps stop waiting for a man to come and save them? I think. I only hope I can imbibe the right values into my kids, male or female!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Once I saw an old drunkard fondling a school girl in a bus between Manipal and Udupi.
That was the only time I hit some one. And I left that old pervert bloody nosed. Other travellers in the bus started clapping. Before getting off the bus I yelled back at them. Shame on you - waiting for other person to help and then clapping.
Nowadays I close my eyes, ears, etc when on the road.
Great job! But why pray do you close your eyes, ears etc.? The world needs more guys like you. Like someone observed, sometimes people are only not helping because they don't see anyone else helping!
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:58   #58
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Sad state of affairs, but you can always assess the situation and take a call accordingly. If for example you are in a bus and the incident occurs, the chances of it being a drama are negligible and your life is usually not at stake. Whereas if you spot something at a secluded location, you might be doubly cautious.
I truly appreciate your point here, but it is just my thought and how I would handle the situation. With that being said, I will never suggest any of my friends (including you) to get involved (just because, I would not want them to face that dangerous situation).

I would not take a chance. Sometimes it might be pickpocket as one of my friend was cheated. The person standing right next to her in a crowded bus opened her vanity bag and started transferring items to the decent looking lady's(thief) bag. The moment my friend realized it, the lady theif proceeded to the door and alighted from the running bus (though slow at a signal) and vanished into thin air. By the time she raised an alarm everyone inside the bus was ready to help, but then where is the thief?

Especially inside a bus, if you raise an alarm against a pickpocket here in Tamil Nadu the thief will spit on your face(I had never experienced, touch wood, never wanted to too). Your immediate reaction is the wipe it off. If you do that your face will start to bleed because of the bits of blades in saliva.

Be aware and stay away! Please! People around us are getting really tricky now-a-days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks