Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How often do you think you need to wash your car ?
Once a week 96 48.24%
Once in a month 34 17.09%
Once in 3 months 7 3.52%
Every Service (6 months) 6 3.02%
Never 1 0.50%
Daily 55 27.64%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 18:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

@imortalz try and wash your car with ground water for six months and you will come to know
Old 28th April 2009, 20:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Ah ha. Hard water is a different story. I see what you mean.
Old 29th April 2009, 10:02   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

In Mumbai, it is daily.
Out here in the States, it is once every two weeks, with a monthly shampoo and polish.
Old 29th April 2009, 12:14   #64
BHPian

I leave it to the mercy of the raingods to clean my car exteriors & underbody (water puddles).

Once every 6-8 months, I drive her to a nearby service station and get it pressure washed & vaccum cleaned.

Mostly, all days, my other god (my father) does try to clean it up before I leave home :P
Old 3rd May 2009, 17:26   #65
BHPian

Car Wash every month ? Anything wrong with it ?

Hi All,

Since past 3-4 months, i've made it a habbit to have all my cars washed every month, even if they have done as low as 300km a month (my baleno did that on its last wash) and somehow i feel the cars feel a lot cleaner not to forget that i ensure they get polished every week as well and engine oil change is strict 5000km & Air/Oil Filter/Spark plugs every 10000 KM . I was just wondering if iam going over the line on these things and if there's any negative side to getting all this done so frequently ? Please share your thoughts about the same although as for me, i've always believed that you respect the car, the car respects you And that has indeed come as a good average by my cars (Search for my other threads about my Accord's Average).

Thanks & God Bless !
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:11   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
Hi All,

Since past 3-4 months, i've made it a habbit to have all my cars washed every month, even if they have done as low as 300km a month (my baleno did that on its last wash) and somehow i feel the cars feel a lot cleaner not to forget that i ensure they get polished every week as well and engine oil change is strict 5000km & Air/Oil Filter/Spark plugs every 10000 KM . I was just wondering if iam going over the line on these things and if there's any negative side to getting all this done so frequently ? Please share your thoughts about the same although as for me, i've always believed that you respect the car, the car respects you And that has indeed come as a good average by my cars (Search for my other threads about my Accord's Average).

Thanks & God Bless !
Are you referring to a pressure wash at a washing facility or a normal manual wash? A monthly pressure wash will help during the rains. You can increase the frequency to 2-3 months during the dry season. Frequent pressure washing may prove detrimental to the electrical connectors/system in the engine bay unless you take pains to avoid those areas and parts.

I am meticulous with my maintenance and wash my car at least once in 10 days. Oil + filter replacements are done every 6 months or 10K kms whichever is first. I too feel that the car respects you if you respect it. You obviously maintain your cars well!

Cheers!
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:41   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm confused, because you say you wash once a month, but polish once a week --- but you must wash a car before polishing!

I am not meticulous, and tend to wash my car when I can no longer see the colour!
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:45   #68
BANNED

You have made me very sad :-( My truck hasn't been washed for more than a month now..

My car & bike are lucky - they get washed everyday since they are in Madras :-)

Last edited by hrag : 3rd May 2009 at 23:46.
Old 4th May 2009, 01:03   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm confused, because you say you wash once a month, but polish once a week --- but you must wash a car before polishing!

I am not meticulous, and tend to wash my car when I can no longer see the colour!
Its the pressure wash that is done every month, otherwise they are cleaned everyday and yes, i do take care to make sure the engine bay is washed in such a way that injectors and plug contact points etc. are not wet. So with nothing wrong being mentioned, i guess its a good thing afterall to keep the cars happy with these frequent washes .
Old 28th July 2009, 01:41   #70
BHPian

What is the correct way to wash the car. Please advise
Old 24th June 2010, 15:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

How often can a car be washed?

Guys, I need a clarification. I recently renewed my car insurance through MSM for which I was offered a free wheel rotation+alignment+balancing and a free wash. While renewing, I also accepted a platinum policy offered by MSM for an additional Rs 3200, under which the depreciation component in case of a claim will be borne by them. In addition, I can have a free car wash whenever I visit them, even once a week if I so wish.

Right now I am planning to use this facility at least once a month. Can I get the car washed even twice/thrice a month without any ill effects? I intend to have only an external wash - no engine bay washing, which I intend to do only once every three months.

But in spite of me telling them not to wash the engine bay as the engine will be in operating temperature - I drive there about 15 KM just for this wash and the car goes to the wash bay very quickly with no cooling time - they do it anyway as a matter of routine. I even complained to the works manager but he says it does not matter and nothing will happen. Is this correct?
Old 24th June 2010, 19:40   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can I get the car washed even twice/thrice a month without any ill effects? I intend to have only an external wash
Even if the use "mineral water" to wash better to do it once a month.
Moisture will be there inside door and other hard to reach areas and in the salty chennai air its an easy recipe for "rust". Trust me I know from experience.

Quote:
I drive there about 15 KM just for this wash and the car goes to the wash bay very quickly with no cooling time
I'm not expert but I do agree with what you said. Common sense tells me that ain't gonna do any good. Will it be bad I don't know.
Old 29th June 2012, 08:00   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How often do you wash your car ?

Every alternate day (external) and daily in rainy days.
Every alternate week it gets an interior treatment.

Cheers!
Old 29th June 2012, 12:35   #74
BHPian

Since I installed a black and decker pressure washing system in my garage, it is a pleasure washing at least 2 of my 3 cars every day ( external only). Internal vacuuming- once a month and engine bay washing only during servicing.
Old 29th June 2012, 13:48   #75
Senior - BHPian

I usually wash my car once a week. And it is usually done with one or two buckets of water (~20 to 40 liters). I also wash the car before any long drive. If the car is not having too much of dust, I can wash/wipe the car with 2-3 liters of water. I use the Jopasu duster to remove the dust and then use a synthetic chamois leather to wipe clean the car after spraying water on the car, one panel after another.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks