Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2005, 12:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

The 'Education Abroad' Thread

hi guys

i was wondering could you guys help me out here

i am currently doing my second year of my mechical engg in college here in hyderabad.the college is affiliated to osmania univ

i was wondering can i join over in the us say in like sophmore year or the junior year

ie continue on from here?,

could you guys help me out with the procedure? ie how to go abt it?

is it feasible?
i dont wanna repeat from the first year,would like to join in from the second or the third..

thx
aaditya
Old 10th March 2005, 13:52   #2
BHPian

Wish I could help.. But no idea dude...
I'm working now.. But looking to go to the UK for doing my MSc in GIS this yr end.. Applied to University of Edinburgh, Scotland.. Hope everything goes fine...

All the best to u for u'r studies mate.. hope u'r able to get help regarding this stuff...

Why dont u ask u'r univ staff, wont they help u out??!!

_CheerS_
Old 10th March 2005, 14:12   #3
Team-BHP Support

GTO would be in the best position to help you. PM him.
Old 10th March 2005, 14:43   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aadix,

1. What you aim to do is go to the US as a transfer student, and in that you want to transfer your academic credits of the first two engineering years from India.

2. It is absolutely possible, though you are past or nearing most deadlines for this fall (September 2005 semester).

3. To get a waiver of the foundation classes (first 2 - 3 semesters), you would need to document that you have already learnt that here. Your syllabus and academic performance would count the most in this respect.

If you are serious, start your preparations immediately. There is a lot of paperwork required and the timeline is atleast 15 days for the same.

If you have performed brilliantly to date, there are great chances of you starting from the third year itself (but with some extra classes to make up in the first semester). Worst case scenario, you start from the second year.

Hope that helps

GTO
Old 10th March 2005, 15:42   #5
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Hey Aadix,

That is definitely possible. I should know since I've done the same right now. I've applied for Fall 2005 semester & got admits although I'd started in November. I was in 3rd year engg of Telecom & have transferred to Mechanical/Automotive. You'll definitely get the credits transfer for your 2years. But man, you need to hurry up if you plan to go for Fall Semester(i.e Aug-Sep). You'd need the following for your application packet:

1) Transcripts from your Engg College of the semesters that you've completed.
2) Transctipts from you Junior College/High School.
3) Photocopies of Marksheets of 10th,12th, Engg College Semesters that you've completed.
4) Photocopies of the biographical page of your passport.
5) Letter from the bank stating that your father holds an A/c with them & is good for xyz amount.
5) Signed affidavit from your father (I assume he's sponsoring you) that you are his son(LOL) & he's ready to sponsor you for your education. This should be on a Rs. 50/100 stamp paper.
6) Any other extra curricular activities certificate if you have like representing your school/college in sports or anything. Believe me it helps.
7) Atleast 3 recommendation letters from your college professor stating that you're a good student & attend classes & all that crap
On the cost front it depends on what college you choose for your course. It usually ranges atleast 8-10lakhs (tuition) + living expenses apart for the first year. Subsequently, you can get waivers depending on your academic performance.

You also would need to take the TOEFL & SAT although SAT would be in all probable scenarios waived off for you by some colleges(not all) since you are already in Engg.

If by any chance you should miss out on the Fall intake for 2005, you could always apply for Spring semester (Feb- March) 2006. Give it a shot since there's still little time left but you'll need to hurry up with the transcripts.

Hope this helps you. Shoot if you have any more queries.

RJK
Old 10th March 2005, 15:44   #6
RJK
Senior - BHPian

You can apply to most colleges online with a credit card. The things that I've mentioned have to be couriered to the University separately.
Old 10th March 2005, 16:10   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1) Transcripts from your Engg College of the semesters that you've completed.
2) Transctipts from you Junior College/High School.
3) Photocopies of Marksheets of 10th,12th, Engg College Semesters that you've completed.
4) Photocopies of the biographical page of your passport.
5) Letter from the bank stating that your father holds an A/c with them & is good for xyz amount.
5) Signed affidavit from your father (I assume he's sponsoring you) that you are his son(LOL) & he's ready to sponsor you for your education. This should be on a Rs. 50/100 stamp paper.
6) Any other extra curricular activities certificate if you have like representing your school/college in sports or anything. Believe me it helps.
7) Atleast 3 recommendation letters from your college professor stating that you're a good student & attend classes & all that crap
You missed two very important components:

1. Current Syllabus. Available at the college/university where you are studying from.

2. SOP (Statement of Purpose) highlighting your strengths/background/experience, why you wish to study toward your major and college of choice. Typically a 1.5 page immaculately written word document.

GTO
Old 10th March 2005, 16:24   #8
RJK
Senior - BHPian

OH yeah! I knew I was missing something when I forgot to write the SOP. Thanks for the correction GTO.
Old 10th March 2005, 23:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

thx a load guys!

i am planning to apply for the spring sem 2006,as i dont have time now for the colleges i was planning
with my parents almost okay with the idea,i need to ace my this sem exams
will pm you guys my queries from now on.

the most significant point to be considered is that i am gonna be in third year from may onwards,ie almost end of my engg,as the fourth year is almost of 4 months for us

so should i do this? or apply for ms?
Old 11th March 2005, 11:20   #10
BHPian

@aadix
Personal Advice: Go for MS.. Since u'v come so close, just finish it off and then leave..
Old 11th March 2005, 11:33   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Depends on what is your expected year of graduation, KTs if any and your career plans afterward.

GTO
Old 11th March 2005, 14:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

i have to options in my hand

1)finish engg,go for ms, work with my dad/some other company for 3 years,then mba,get into my dad's business finally

2)leave for us,do my undergrad there,work with dad/some one for 3 years,then mba,get into my dad's business finally

my dad's with the first option,since i am almost finishing off..but has no probs with the second.

gto what's kt?
Old 11th March 2005, 14:25   #13
BHPian

aadix, me too feels that the 1st option is the best..
may be on u'r way back get a sbk or something along.. something I wish to do when i get bac from UK.....
Old 11th March 2005, 22:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO
I heradr You were studying Industrial Design
Im doing my first year of IB and want to do Vehicle Design after this
But many people say that I should do my industrial design first
Im confused
Can you please help me out
Also what do you think of coventry uni - www.coventry.ac.uk
where are u doing industrial design
Old 11th March 2005, 23:00   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey man, i study in New York and i think the most helpfull thing for me during the app were to call the schools and spk to admission office staff itself. Call and email the schools ur looking at clear all u r doubts... one thing good abt the americans is that they r very helpfull.For the admission process i think the things mentioned earlier in the post r all required but u should still call the schools and ask them what they exactly need.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks