Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 11:20   #61
BHPian

Bluetooth connectivity - Is it legal?

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, but I've been going through the rules and I believe that using a mobile phone while driving (even if on speakerphone/handsfree) is NOT permitted. Given that every new car is touting bluetooth connectivity, how exactly do these features get cleared by the powers that be? And more importantly, is using these features completely illegal?

I'm sure there's a line somewhere in the manual that using a mobile phone while the car is in motion may be against the law, etc, but just wanted to get some perspective.
Old 10th October 2011, 11:26   #62
BHPian

Re: Bluetooth connectivity - Is it legal?

I am confused about this as well. I mean, talking over the bluetooth whether it be the speakerphone or the handsfree is just like speaking to a co-passenger. Infact, at times when I am driving late in the night, I prefer talking over the fone so that I can stay alert and dont feel drowsy. As long as you have full control over your car with all four appendeges, it should be fine in my opinion.
Old 10th October 2011, 11:37   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Going by recent rules/guidelines, even BT connectivity is not allowed. This was what I remember for Bangalore
Old 10th October 2011, 11:46   #64
BHPian

If i remember correctly, with a single occupant in the car, the mobile phone must be switched off. Having the mobile phone on itself is not allowed. However, with multiple occupants, one can always argue that the driver is not using the bluetooth feature but it used by the passengers. That's probably the loophole, but using bluetooth (or any handsfree technology) is technically illegal in India as per my understanding.

Found the link on Mumbai Traffic Police website
http://www.trafficpolicemumbai.org/FAQs.htm

Refer this section
FAQ REGARDING USE OF MOBILE PHONE WHILE DRIVING

Last edited by sachinayak : 10th October 2011 at 11:48. Reason: adding link
Old 10th October 2011, 12:02   #65
Senior - BHPian

You are breaking law if you are driving and using the BT to make/take a phone call. Butttt, the user manual of Fiat Blue n me clearly states that upto 5 devices can be paired with BT system, and the last-paired phone will be used by the system.

That's the loophole; BT is there, but it is not intended for driver, at least in paper.

Although unrelated, the FM transmitting feature available with most GPS PND is also illegal in India. It is a (miniature) FM radio station.
Old 10th October 2011, 12:29   #66
BHPian

By the way, here is the LATEST news link for Mumbai:

Quote:

Did you know?
That a driver's licence can be cancelled under Rule of Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989 as per the procedure laid down in section 19(1)(F) of Motor Vehicle, 1988, for use of mobile phone in any form such as handheld, hands free or Bluetooth. The use of mobile phone in any manner also includes giving or receiving calls, sending messages, playing games, listening to music and taking photos or making videos.
SOURCE: Traffic cops are eyeing your lips

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Eddy : 10th October 2011 at 12:36. Reason: Thread merged. Thanks.
Old 10th October 2011, 12:55   #67
BHPian

Re: Bluetooth headset + driving illegal? Yup, details on pg. 4

I avoid using the mobile phone while driving, but I havent gone to the extent of switching it off. If I am alone, the phone is in the passenger seat or in the small storage area in front of the stickshift. If it rings, I usually ignore it. But there have been occasions when I have reached out to the phone to check who is calling. I think that is a dangerous thing to do too. There is a definite merit in the idea of switching off the mobile phone when you are driving. Total peace of mind, at least you wont be worried about who is calling or try to think of the issues associated with not picking the call...

I think I should probably use the voice mail function a bit better so that I can respond to the calls missed while driving.

There is a counterpoint too. I use my mobile phone for GPS navigation - when I am in an unfamiliar area ( another city or an unfamiliar part of the city I am in ). This needs the phone to be attached to the holder on the side of the windscreen, in switched on mode ( of course ) - and very much visible to policemen. I hadnt thought about this, but I think I will have a tough time getting out of the situation if I am caught for keeping my mobile on and seemingly active mode ( with the mobile directly in front of me ). I hope the cops are savvy enough to understand GPS.

Or is using a GPS navigation device illegal too? :-O
Old 10th October 2011, 13:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

I dont use blue tooth,however i use a belkin dock to connect my iphone to the HU,and it turn into a handsfree,i have never been stopped by cops in chandigarh,i mean how can they?,if they pull me over,i can simply tell them,i was singing a song.
Old 10th October 2011, 13:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
if they pull me over,i can simply tell them,i was singing a song.

Cops are smarter then that

Usually first thing they do is check list of incoming/outgoing calls from cell.
Old 10th October 2011, 13:35   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Cops are smarter then that

Usually first thing they do is check list of incoming/outgoing calls from cell.
Well,in my case,they wont even find the cell phone
Old 10th October 2011, 13:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

Where will you hide your iphone ?
Old 10th October 2011, 15:53   #72
BANNED

Not only BlueTooth, as per some section of the law (at least im MH) using the radio in the car is illegal. I guess 90% of the cars sold are not legal.

We have an infinite talent for first encouraging people to go beyond the rules, and then legalise them. Why can we not be pro-active rather than reactive.
Old 12th October 2011, 14:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Switching the phone off is not a feasible options , whether it be owing to office pressures or otherwise. If i actually did this , for 4 hours a day my phone might be off - when i go and come back from the office in Gurgaon

Plus you never know when there is an emergency.

I connect my aux out from the phone to the aux in on my music system resulting in all audio being transferred to the car speakers and i simply talk slightly loudly , net result , both hands on the wheels at all the times.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:52   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Plus you never know when there is an emergency.
How did people deal with emergencies before there were cellphones?
Old 12th October 2011, 16:05   #75
BHPian

If bluetooth is illegal how do car manufacturers get approval for their cars with inbuilt bluetooth like i20, Verna, Fiesta etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks