Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Motorsport drivers, Aeroplane pilots, etc are always connected to some communication device and they are doing just fine. Just my 2 cents
In motor sports and all, the communication will be all about what they are doing thus they will be alert.

But the communication on cell while driving may be an entirely different topic, which can lose your concentration/reflex action.
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:27   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Most roads are not wide enough for someone to fully occupy and completely slow down one full lane.
No Sire, i always light up on broad roads. Firstly, i rarely smoke in the car ( maybe once or twice a week) and usually light up at whisper valley to gachibowli or when i just step out of MS in Gachibowli.

I drive on extreme left so as not to block traffic while enjoying spoiling my health
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:20   #48
BHPian

Doesn't this mean that people driving Punto or Linea are breaking the law ?
Old 7th September 2009, 11:16   #49
BANNED

Blue & me and Traffic Police.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:29   #50
BHPian

As per today's TOI news paper report the transport commissioner for Maharashtra Mr. Deepak Kapoor has made it illegal for any person on the drivers seat to be found talking on the mobile phone, using text messaging services, listening to the music or watching images/ vidoes from the mobile either directly or through headphones or even handsfree/ bluetooth headsets. The notification has clearly mentioned that it is applicable to even to persons seated on drivers seat in a stationary vehicle. The penalty is an immediate permanent cancellation of the driving license. The only saving grace is that if the traffic cop sees you violating the above notification but you switch of the use of handset before the traffic cop actually confronts you the penalty imposed is 3 months suspension of driving licence. The gist of the notification is that the driver of any motor vehicle should have his mobile switched off from the moment he sits on the drivers seat to the moment he gets off the drivers seat without even peeping into to read sms or missed calls.There is apparently a directive from the central government to all the states higlighting on the increasing number of accidents due to use of mobile phones by drivers of motor vehicles.
Old 7th September 2009, 16:22   #51
BHPian

Get your license cancelled for taking on your cellphone.

Source Mumbai Mirror dated 7 Sept. 2009.

Caught in a traffic jam and itching to speed-dial a friend for a rant? Well, don’t. Starting today, calling, sending a text message or even listening to music through earphones while in the driver’s seat will cost you your driver’s licence – forever! It doesn’t matter if your vehicle is stationary at a traffic signal, you’re still culpable. What’s more, you cannot use your hands-free, play games, take photos or shoot videos on your phone either.

A circular sent out by State Transport Commissioner Deepak Kapoor to all 45 divisions of the Regional Transport Offices (RTO) and other transport offices in the State, including the Mumbai Traffic police, says that those caught using mobile phones while driving will stand to forfeit their licence for good. Kapoor said that drivers in a stationary vehicle in a traffic jam or at a traffic signal also come under the rule.

He added, “For the first time such harsh punishment has been decided upon for those using mobile phones while driving. The circular has already been dispatched to all concerned departments and we have clearly laid down the rule that once the driver sits in the car, he cannot touch his mobile phone until he leaves the driver’s seat. If he flouts the rule, he will be liable for the punishment decided upon.” However, Kapoor clarified, this rule only applies to the driver and not to other occupants of the vehicle.

The move came following a letter sent by the Central Government to the transport commissioner indicating that use of mobile phones while driving motor vehicles carried a potential risk of accidents and had been proved to distract the driver, increasing the probability of accidents.

According to the letter, the special committee set up to look into the petitions by Rajya Sabha members on the issue, had taken a very serious note of the fact that use of mobile phones in motor vehicles was on the rise, leading to accidents.

Kapoor said, “Acting on the letter, we recommended that the use of mobile phones while driving be banned in any form and in any manner. We have now directed the officers to disqualify a driver under Rule 21 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989, as per the procedure laid down in Section 19 of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988’ (see ‘Road Rules’).”

Kapoor added that implementation of the punishment would depend on the traffic police officer. “If the driver hangs up before the officer reaches him, he may only have his licence suspended for three months. But if the driver is using the phone when the officer nabs him, he will lose his licence forever,” Kapoor said. He said he would review the cases every month.

Accident-prone Mumbai

Figures for Mumbai are the highest in case of motor accidents. In 2008, Mumbai registered 29,780 road accidents. The figure for Maharashtra was 75,520, which means one-third of the accidents occurred in Mumbai alone.

“The accident rate is higher here because of the density of vehicles on Mumbai’s roads,” a senior traffic officer said. There are already 3,637 motor accident deaths recorded in the State between January and April 2009.

He said, “There are no separate figures available for deaths caused due to mobile phone usage, but yes they have been found to play a major role. Using mobile phones while driving distracts the driver, making him/her unable to make quick decisions in emergency situations.”

Road rules

Rule 21 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989 as per the procedure laid down in Section 19 of Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 reads: a driver can be disqualified for using a mobile phone in any form, which includes hand-held or hands free mobile or operated with the help of Bluetooth or permanently installed and integrated into the wiring of motor vehicles, and also the use of mobile phone in any manner which includes making or receiving calls, sending messages, playing games, listening to music and taking photos or making videos.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th September 2009 at 16:41. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, avoid copy pasting from external sites and font editors. Thanks
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2009, 23:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

While I appreciate the authorities' concern over the hazards of talking on the cell phone while driving, I feel cancellation of one's licence is taking it too far. This is infringement of basic liberties, and should be opposed tooth and nail. I mean, you may as well hang the guy.
Is it really possible for these people to impose such draconian laws at their whims and fancies ? There are sooo many more causes for accidents while driving, and talking on the phone is just one of them. Nobody's sure of any statistics to prove any percentages, and the authorites are simply trying to get at the easiest source to throw power.
Why not get at the root causes of accidents in India - look at them - lack of education, easy availability of commercial licenses, bad road markers, scant regard for highway ethics, corruption at each and every level, jaywalking - chiefly because of non availability of pavements to walk on.. I could go on till the cows come home.
Alas, nobody, but nobody can teach our powers that be.
Old 8th September 2009, 14:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

Is this law applicable only in maharashtra?
Old 8th September 2009, 14:41   #54
BANNED

I think the use of mobiles by the driver is banned across the country. Enforcement varies. Of course remember even listening to the radio is against the law. I think they tried to enforce it (in Mumbai!) about a year ago.

In my view use of mobile on earphone and esp. BlueTooth should be legalised.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

If blue tooth is also illegal, then what about talking to ones co-passengers while driving? Unless one takes the vows of a trappist monk or something, I really dont see people putting a stop to talking to their co-passengers/ family etc while driving.

in that case there should be no front seats for car that is driven by ladies.
They just dont stop talk . no offense meant.

But I do feel that bluetooth reduces the distraction to the minimum with both hands on teh steering wheel.

however our law makers are not educated enough to understnad this.

I do agree that if u talk too long on a a phone, irrespective of u talk direct into a mobile phone, use a wired headset, bluetooth headset or even irrespective of you drive or you are doing somethign else. You end up being distractd.

the person on phone receives more attention than the car.

its more of a logical and smart choice left to the driver based on his analysis of the risk associated,whcih people rarely do.

i was caught by a cop at the ghatkopar signal and he tried to fleece me of 1600 bucks on trying to slap me atleast 5 different charges. he was just trying to extract more money from me.

finally settled on 400 consdiering that yes i was talking on the phone (engrossed so much that i ended up not seeing the cop flaggin me down.)
finally the cop followed me for abt a km and stopped me.

Man ....was he peeved at me and i had to pay for his golden fuel that costs a few Thousands rupees per litre. He took 400 buck for following me for 1 km.

I have a bluetooth car kit from parrot bought back in feb 09 but not yet installed. I guess that will never cause me a problem. since the cops cant make out what the parrot device is in my car
Old 8th September 2009, 17:56   #56
BANNED

What a moronic rule. I will keep a switched off spare mobile phone on the dash and wave it when a cop comes to check. With my other cell on silent tucked inside my pocket.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:40   #57
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sad things happen only in India.

TOI news today.
Use your cellphone,but lose drivers licence

Traffic Police Demand Strict Implementation Of 2009 Regulations

[SIZE=1]Nitasha Natu | TNN [/SIZE]

Mumbai: Despite a seven-month old-circular issued by the state transport department instructing all Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) to disqualify the licences of motorists caught talking on cellphones while driving,no action has been taken to date,say senior police officials.In an effort to rectify this,senior traffic officials will be meeting members of the state Law and Judiciary Department on Tuesday to demand stricter implementation of the existing law.Between October 2009 and March 2010,1,186 licences of motorists pulled up for driving and operating their mobile phones were sent to the RTO,but not a single one was cancelled or suspended.
We do not have the power to disqualify the driving licences of offenders.After a driver is caught violating the rule,we send his licence to the morning court, said DCP Nandkumar Chaugule.The court either fines the driver or suspends his/her licence for a period of time.Once the licences are returned to us,we forward a photocopy of to the RTO.But to date,the RTOs havent disqualified any driver.
In September 2009,the Government of India issued a letter informing state governments that the use of cellphones while driving was now included under Rule 21 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules,1989.Subsequently,the state transport department instructed all RTOs in Maharashtra to disqualify a driver according to procedure laid down in Section 19 of the Motor Vehicle Rules,1988.Phones include hand-held,hands-free,operated through bluetooth,permanently installed or integrated into the wiring of the vehicle.Dialling and receiving calls,texting,playing games,listening to music,taking photos and shooting videos on phones is also not allowed while driving.The rules apply even if the vehicle is stationary,in a traffic snarl or at a traffic signal,for instance.
Another worrying trend is the growing number of motorists who think it is all right to drive and use their phones.In 2008,24,845 cases were recorded against offending motorists;in 2009 the number stood at 24,922.RTO officials who did not wish to be named said the process of implementing the law is currently going on.
Initially,drivers would be prosecuted Section 250 (A) of the Maharashtra Motor Vehicles Rules,1989.It was a compoundable offence offenders were fined Rs 100,given a receipt and their driving licence was returned to them after inspection, said Chaugule.

AROUND THE WORLD

Laws across the world on use of cellphones while driving: In the United Kingdom,from 27 February 2007,motorists who are caught using a handheld mobile phone while driving will have three penalty points added to their license in addition to the fine of #60.Israel,Japan,Portugal and Singapore prohibit all mobile phone use while driving,including use of hands-free devices New Zealand banned hand-held cellphone use from November 1,2009 Many states in the United States have banned texting on cellphones while driving.Illinois became the 17th American state to enforce this law

WHAT THE LAW SAYS

Up until September 2009,erring drivers could be prosecuted under Section 250 (A) of the Maharashtra Motor Vehicles Rules,1989.Offenders were fined Rs 100.Their driving licence was returned to them after inspection NOW: The Indian Government issued a letter informing state governments that the use of cellphones while driving was now being included under Rule 21 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules,1989,as it constitutes nuisance or danger to public life.Subsequently,the transport department instructed RTOs to disqualify a driver according to procedure laid down in Section 19 of the Motor Vehicle Rules,1988
Phones include hand-held / operated with bluetooth,permanently installed or integrated into the wiring of the vehicle.Making and receiving calls,texting,gaming,etc,are not allowed
Old 7th April 2010, 01:56   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Sad things happen only in India.

TOI news today.
Use your cellphone,but lose drivers licence

Traffic Police Demand Strict Implementation Of 2009 Regulations

[SIZE=1]Nitasha Natu | TNN [/SIZE]

Mumbai: Despite a seven-month old-circular issued by the state transport department instructing all Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) to disqualify the licences of motorists caught talking on cellphones while driving,no action has been taken to date,say senior police officials.In an effort to rectify this,senior traffic officials will be meeting members of the state Law and Judiciary Department on Tuesday to demand stricter implementation of the existing law.Between October 2009 and March 2010,1,186 licences of motorists pulled up for driving and operating their mobile phones were sent to the RTO,but not a single one was cancelled or suspended.
That's about the only good thing to come out of this. Canceling a license forever for speaking on a bluetooth headset or through the stereo's speakers? These guys (whoever is responsible for the stupid law) are out of control. What a bunch a losers.
Old 7th April 2010, 19:33   #59
Senior - BHPian

People getting stopped and fined for using handsfree and bluetooth is this some kind of a Joke?
I have seen bikers and car drivers using cell phones right in front of the traffic police and nothing was done to them.

The other day I even saw a biker with his wife and kid stop on the right most lane to take a call
there was a police guy standing a few meters away and they did nothing!
I honked like mad man and drove away.
Imagine, who would expect a biker to stop at the right most lane?

Last edited by Captain Slow : 7th April 2010 at 19:34.
Old 11th April 2010, 13:34   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
The notification has clearly mentioned that it is applicable to even to persons seated on drivers seat in a stationary vehicle.
What kinda CRAP is that? If you can't even pull over and talk, that just doesn't make sense anymore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks