Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2020, 13:54   #331
BHPian

Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Hi has anyone done ICL? How was the experience? The doctor said my corneal thickness is too low for lasik and suggested this. This would cost around 2L due to the imported lens that has to be implanted. The doctor said at any time the procedure can be reversed unlike LASIK.

Im 35 BTW.
Old 7th May 2020, 23:22   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanth View Post
Hi has anyone done ICL?
Yes, I have done, around 260, don't know the exact number but i stopped counting after 200

This procedure is done either when the power is too high or the cornea is not thick enough

This procedure is within the eye, LASIK or other Laser Vision Correction procedures are on the surface of the eye
slicvic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 00:11   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Yes, I have done, around 260, don't know the exact number but i stopped counting after 200

This procedure is done either when the power is too high or the cornea is not thick enough

This procedure is within the eye, LASIK or other Laser Vision Correction procedures are on the surface of the eye
Great! Do you recommend someone my age to get it done? I have -9.75 in one eye and -9 on the other.

At 2L it does not make lot of economic sense if you compare with cost of contact lens and solution. But being able to wake up without searching for glasses and being able to go out without bothering about contacts would be awesome.

Since its the eye I'm just worried about the risks.
prasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 00:42   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Great! Do you recommend someone my age to get it done? I have -9.75 in one eye and -9 on the other.
I would be in a better position to answer that after seeing your scan reports. Do PM me

Quote:
At 2L it does not make lot of economic sense if you compare with cost of contact lens and solution.
The Lens comes from Switzerland, and like all CBU's is expensive. Indian lenses of a different material are also available, but the number of implants and hence the longevity has not been studied as much as the ICL. the ICL has been there for 20 years plus.

Last edited by slicvic : 8th May 2020 at 00:45. Reason: Adding information
Old 17th July 2020, 17:37   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi has anyone done ICL? How was the experience? The doctor said my corneal thickness is too low for lasik and suggested this. This would cost around 2L due to the imported lens that has to be implanted. The doctor said at any time the procedure can be reversed unlike LASIK.

Im 35 BTW.
My daughter was recommended ICL by Dr K Prasad Reddy of Maxivision, Hyderabad. He is apparently the person who brought Lasik to India in the late 1990s, and is a respected eye surgeon.

Per him, ICL is an imported lens that is implanted within the eye, and is a long-lasting solution for those with high myopia. My daughter has -8.5 power in either eye, and it has been stable for the last 3 years (Her corneal thickness is fine for Lasik also.) But it costs a whopping 3 lakhs for both eyes, which is the downer.

The other option was Smile, which costs around a lakh for both eyes. It is supposed to be an advanced version of Lasik, where the flap on the cornea is much smaller than Lasik. And the recovery period is supposed to be faster.

The last option given was Lasik, that costs below 50K.

She's decided to go for ICL because her insurance covers 2 lakhs, and we will have to pay the rest. Maxivision said they will provide a discount. The reason for choosing ICL are:-

1. It is reversible, unlike Lasik or Smile.

2. When a woman gets pregnant, hormonal changes might impact the eye, and some residual power may develop if Lasik is done. Apparently this is not the case with ICL.

3.It is easier to deal with old sight after age 45 when compared to Lasik or Smile.

The only negatives are the prohibitive cost, and that the lenses have be ordered from Switzerland. This apart, only one eye is operated at a time, and the other within a couple of days. Therefore a longer absence from work is needed.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 18:44   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
My daughter has -8.5 power in either eye, and it has been stable for the last 3 years (Her corneal thickness is fine for Lasik also.)

The other option was Smile, which costs around a lakh for both eyes. It is supposed to be an advanced version of Lasik, where the flap on the cornea is much smaller than Lasik.

The last option given was Lasik, that costs below 50K.

The reason for choosing ICL are:-

1. It is reversible, unlike Lasik or Smile.

2. When a woman gets pregnant, hormonal changes might impact the eye, and some residual power may develop if Lasik is done. Apparently this is not the case with ICL.

3.It is easier to deal with old sight after age 45 when compared to Lasik or Smile.

The only negatives are the prohibitive cost, and that the lenses have be ordered from Switzerland. This apart, only one eye is operated at a time, and the other within a couple of days. Therefore a longer absence from work is needed.
For that power, even before I see a scan, go for ICL only.

Even though the lens comes from Switzerland, you'd be surprised that you will get it in 2-3 days, since Hyderabad is a stock point for these lenses, and they should have that power in their inventory.

Good luck, you are with good hands (Dr KP Reddy)
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 19:22   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
For that power, even before I see a scan, go for ICL only.

Even though the lens comes from Switzerland, you'd be surprised that you will get it in 2-3 days, since Hyderabad is a stock point for these lenses, and they should have that power in their inventory.

Good luck, you are with good hands (Dr KP Reddy)
Thank you very much. She's placed the order for the lenses on Saturday, and we've been given a time frame of 2 weeks maximum.

I agree with you on Dr KP Reddy. I've known him for the last 17 years and he's very professional and skilled.

Incidentally, my son underwent Smile surgery by Dr KP Reddy on Saturday, and was found to have perfect vision when he went for a check up this morning (2 days after surgery), except a mild glare. He found it a lot more bearable than what was described by the late Sam Kapasi on the initial pages of this thread. Perhaps that is because technology has advanced in the last 15 years.

To sum up, after his preparations for the Smile surgery were done (took around 30 minutes), Dr Reddy took him to the OT at 1150 pm, and he was out by 1215 pm! The only discomfort he felt was very, very mild when he had to stare at a green light during surgery, and after that when the doctor was probably cleaning his eyes. He did not get any burning smell.

And around an hour later, while at home, he felt some irritation in the eyes (as if a sand particle was inside each eye), but that was for around 90 minutes only. Hourly eye drops (3 different ones) have stabilized his eyes. He has another scheduled check up this Saturday. So far so good.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my son's eye power was -3.5 in each eye. Hence he opted for Smile.

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th July 2020 at 19:23.
Old 20th July 2020, 19:36   #338
BHPian

Quote:

She's decided to go for ICL because her insurance covers 2 lakhs, and we will have to pay the rest. Maxivision said they will provide a discount. The reason for choosing ICL are:-
Hi, Mine is a similar case as your daughter. I have -9 power in each eye. However, when I enquired about LASIK around 3 years ago, I was told that it would not be covered under Insurance since it’s a cosmetic change. Can you please provide further details about the insurance claim?
Thanks.
Old 20th July 2020, 19:57   #339
BHPian

Quote:

Incidentally, my son underwent Smile surgery by Dr KP Reddy on Saturday, He found it a lot more bearable than what was described by the late Sam Kapasi on the initial pages of this thread. Perhaps that is because technology has advanced in the last 15 years.

Dr Reddy took him to the OT at 1150 pm, and he was out by 1215 pm! The only discomfort he felt was very, very mild when he had to stare at a green light during surgery, and after that when the doctor was probably cleaning his eyes. He did not get any burning smell.

Indeed LVC (Laser Vision Correction) has advanced a lot compared to earlier and ReLeX SMILE has been the latest advancement, there is no burning of tissue in this procedure hence so burning smell.

In LASIK or PRK, the Laser literally 'burns' (Technically - Photoablation) the corneal tissue.

Also SMILE does not involve a flap - the laser gives a 3 dimensional cut in the cornea and a 'lenticule' is extracted. Since there is no Flap the comfort could also be much higher
slicvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 20:08   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi, Mine is a similar case as your daughter. I have -9 power in each eye. However, when I enquired about LASIK around 3 years ago, I was told that it would not be covered under Insurance since it’s a cosmetic change. Can you please provide further details about the insurance claim?
Thanks.
Good question. Even when I inquired 17 years ago, Lasik was considered cosmetic and not eligible for insurance. But in recent times (not sure when), some companies have started covering it, provided the power is more than -5 or -7 in each eye. It differs from company to company.

I wish this was the case long back, so that even I would have undergone it.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 14:21   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
I got Femto LASIK done two and a half years ago by Dr. Nitin Dedhia Mumbai.
I had -8.75 and -6.25 and I went for insurance claim, got exactly half amount back of what was spent. I think for numbers greater than -7 insurance would be covered. My right eye had -8.75 and i have slight dryness issue in right eye every now and then I use systane ultra eye drops. Left eye does not have any dryness issue. But overall very satisfied.
sagpatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 17:54   #342
ike
BHPian

Are these corrective surgeries performed on people who are diabetic and hypertensive? Apologies if this has been answered earlier. Also, is there a minimum threshold in terms of power to qualify for corrective surgeries, as in are minor powers also corrected?
Old 21st July 2020, 21:37   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I got Femto LASIK done two and a half years ago by Dr. Nitin Dedhia Mumbai.
I had -8.75 and -6.25 and I went for insurance claim, got exactly half amount back of what was spent. I think for numbers greater than -7 insurance would be covered. My right eye had -8.75 and i have slight dryness issue in right eye every now and then I use systane ultra eye drops. Left eye does not have any dryness issue. But overall very satisfied.
Thanks for the information. However, after coming across the post the other day I searched on the internet and found out that only three companies provide insurance coverage for LASIK. Religare, Bajaj Allianz and ICICI Lombard. Was your insurance provider among the above three?
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:01   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But being able to wake up without searching for glasses and being able to go out without bothering about contacts would be awesome.
Yeah, I was of the same opinion too, was pretty keen on getting the corrective surgery done a few years ago. But ended up not going for it mainly because my Ophthalmologist recommended against it. Possibly because of something specific to my retinas, as I was undergoing retinal hole treatment with him at the time. But his opinion was that if I could manage fine with glasses and contacts, why go for a surgery. Reluctantly agreed with him at the time because I was very keen on living life without glasses and I absolutely hate the process of putting in and taking out contact lenses!

But I did find that I'm able to manage completely fine with glasses indoors and contacts outdoors. In fact, even did a mountaineering course for 30 days with 14 of those in the mountains and on long treks, sleeping in tents, etc where I was using contacts the whole time!

(This is not meant to persuade anyone against going for LASIK, just to provide a different point of view from personal experience.)
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 13:20   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information. However, after coming across the post the other day I searched on the internet and found out that only three companies provide insurance coverage for LASIK. Religare, Bajaj Allianz and ICICI Lombard. Was your insurance provider among the above three?
I have New India policy, I had consulted with my agent who handles my insurance, he said you will not get a single rupee back. However I insisted that we should at least try. I had a letter from my surgeon stating because of high numbers I can get frequent headaches and he had advised me to opt for LASIK. Honestly I did not expect any refund but to my surprise got back half the amount.
sagpatel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks