Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2020, 22:16   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Laser Eye Surgery - LASIK discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I have New India policy, I had consulted with my agent who handles my insurance, he said you will not get a single rupee back. However I insisted that we should at least try. I had a letter from my surgeon stating because of high numbers I can get frequent headaches and he had advised me to opt for LASIK. Honestly I did not expect any refund but to my surprise got back half the amount.
My daughter also has New India and the TPA is MediAssist. Lasik is covered for 1 lakh (both eyes together), and ICL for 1 lakh per eye. However the power should exceed -7 in each eye, which made her eligible.
Maxivision was charging 2.5 lakhs for both eyes, so we ended up paying 50K from our pockets. We had to deposit a lakh 3 weeks ago to order the lenses from Switzerland. They took 15 days to come.

The first eye was done on Aug 15th and the second one today. Yet to get final amounts, but I guess the above figures are correct for ICL.

And yes, she got a 6/6 in the test today for the eye that was operated on Saturday. Will know about the second eye in the follow up test tomorrow.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 12:24   #347
KPR
BANNED

I'm 35 year old and have power of -5 in both my eyes. I wear glasses mostly and contacts only while playing badminton. Now that I've done my pre testing and found all parameters good to go ahead for Lasik. Just that I'm a bit nervous to give my eyes to a machine. Should I do it or continue living with specs and contacts for that power. Just wondering whether to go ahead enjoy a new specs free life or live with it.
My queries are

1. Will a failed Lasik procedure cause permanent loss of vision ?(nervousness as it is an elective surgery)
2. What will happen in later years if I get cataract say at above 50 years of age?
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 13:13   #348
BHPian

Couple of years back (May 2018), I got my lasik operation done from Centre for Sight in Safdarjung (New Delhi). It was painless process of about 5 mins (both eyes). Now after 2 and half years not using any kind of specs (expect sunglasses), I think it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'll definitely recommend it to anyone who is thinking going glasses free. Btw vision was around - 3 in both the eyes.
TB16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 21:42   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
1. Will a failed Lasik procedure cause permanent loss of vision ?(nervousness as it is an elective surgery)
2. What will happen in later years if I get cataract say at above 50 years of age?
I was your age too when I got it done. You will feel nervous even the moments before they make you sit on the operation chair, after all its your eyes.
When you get it done, you would think why I didn't go for this earlier? I had planned to do when I was 25, but somehow I chickened out that time and now got it done recently a year ago.
I don't even feel that I used to wear glasses and its a changed world now. Driving, sports, day to day life, everything is more enjoyable. I had dry eyes for initial few months only and now its all good.
The technology has advanced a lot these days and doctors have gained expertise after handling so many cases. My doctor had done 60K + surgeries.
Go for a reputed Doctor and you should be fine.
Good luck!!
lightning535 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 23:32   #350
BHPian

Quote:
I got Femto LASIK done two and a half years ago by Dr. Nitin Dedhia Mumbai.
I had -8.75 and -6.25 and I went for insurance claim, got exactly half amount back of what was spent. I think for numbers greater than -7 insurance would be covered. My right eye had -8.75 and i have slight dryness issue in right eye every now and then I use systane ultra eye drops. Left eye does not have any dryness issue. But overall very satisfied.
Woah. So cool to hear this. Can you tell me the approx cost for the procedure? I'm 38 years old and I have -7 in both eyes and boy do I wish to wake up and see the world without specs. And I love swimming, in pool and sea both. The speedo prescription glasses ain't working for me.

Also, can someone recomend a good doctor to consult in Bengaluru?
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 14:53   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Woah. So cool to hear this. Can you tell me the approx cost for the procedure? I'm 38 years old and I have -7 in both eyes and boy do I wish to wake up and see the world without specs.
Hey, I paid about 1.25L for both eyes. I would suggest you to take a couple of opinions as you are already 38 and in about 4-5 years (generally speaking) you will have reading glasses. I got LASIK done when I was 33, right now I am 37.
Good luck and update on what you decide to do.
sagpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 23:54   #352
BHPian

Hey guys, any long term review on Trans PRK. Any side effects related to night driving or glare in general, dryness, irritation or blurred vision?

I have eye sight of have -1.25 in one eye and -3.25 + 1.25cyl in the other eye and due to thin cornea, doctor has advised Trans PRK. People I know have undergone femtolasik and are happy about it. But I could not find reviews on Trans PRK.

And also, any reviews on Narayana Nethralaya in Bangalore? How does it compare against LV Prasad Eye Institute in Hyderabad?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by neelkumar : 29th January 2022 at 23:56.
Old 26th April 2022, 16:08   #353
BHPian

Does anyone have any reviews for the best place to get LASIK done in Ernakulam, Kerala? I would love to hear reviews from someone who has done LASIK in Ernakulam and from anyone who has had recent experience here.
Old 26th August 2022, 01:08   #354
BHPian

Quote:
I got Femto LASIK done two and a half years ago by Dr. Nitin Dedhia Mumbai.
I had -8.75 and -6.25 and I went for insurance claim, got exactly half amount back of what was spent. I think for numbers greater than -7 insurance would be covered. My right eye had -8.75 and i have slight dryness issue in right eye every now and then I use systane ultra eye drops. Left eye does not have any dryness issue. But overall very satisfied.
Hi, how was your experience with Dr. Nitin Dedhia. I am planning to get the SMILE procedure done for my eye from him. Have around -9 power in both the eyes.
Old 26th August 2022, 13:08   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi, how was your experience with Dr. Nitin Dedhia. I am planning to get the SMILE procedure done for my eye from him. Have around -9 power in both the eyes.
Does Dr. Dedhia perform SMILE at OJAS?
I am not sure, I also wanted to go for ReLEx SMILE. But 4-5 years back they were not doing it. They only had bladless LASIK.
The entire staff at OJAS is very professional and slightly money minded.
You have to pay first then only things will start moving, which is not the case with other doctors. But since 3 of my cousins got LASIK done from him and also one of my relatives (who is also an eye surgeon practicing in the UK) had trained under him and vouched for his skills, I decided to go with Dr. Nitin Dedhia at OJAS.
When I got my LASIK done, I was told that I will get 1 year follow up and check up at free of cost but that was not the case. For the last follow up which was 3-4 days before completion of 1 year, they made me pay for check up(approx INR 5000). They will simply say "our policies have changed and you will have to pay". So if you happen to get your surgery done, get everything in writing like for how much time the follow up/check up will be without any additional fees.

Your first LASIK consultation will be with Dr. Nitin Dedhia, he will perform the surgery as well. Mind you he is one of the best eye surgeons out there so no complaints in that regard. But follow ups will not happen with Dr. Nitin Dedhia. His assistant doctors (who are equally talented) will do the follow ups/ check ups. You will have a hard time getting his appointment for follow ups. You have to be very Firm that you want to get Dr. Nitin's appointment only.

You have mentioned that you have -9 powers in both eyes. You will be eligible for insurance claim, tell them upfront and they will prepare the documents for you easily. But is your number stable? I have heard if your number is not stable you may get numbers back though no such issues with me so far but one of my cousins got numbers back after a couple of years. She had -10 or more before LASIK and currently she stands at -1.5 or so. Also ask for dryness after LASIK, I still have to use eye drops once a day for this. So check if you already suffer from dryness or not.

So, go for initial check up and LASIK consultation at OJAS take a second opinion with someone else (heard Dr. Rupal Shah at newvisionindia is also very good).
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 11:40   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Does Dr. Dedhia perform SMILE at OJAS?
I am not sure, I also wanted to go for ReLEx SMILE.

You have mentioned that you have -9 powers in both eyes. You will be eligible for insurance claim, tell them upfront and they will prepare the documents for you easily. But is your number stable?

So, go for initial check up and LASIK consultation at OJAS take a second opinion with someone else (heard Dr. Rupal Shah at newvisionindia is also very good).
Thank you so much for the response.
Yes they do perform SMILE now as told by the doctor over the phone. In fact, they have a more modern procedure than SMILE that they perform now (not recalling the name).
Yes my number is stable now. I have been hovering around -9 since a long time.
I have already consulted with Dr. Rupal Shah in Vadodara and got the preliminary tests done there. Though, the price they quoted for SMILE surgery is more than twice the price quoted by Dr. Nitin Dedhiya.

Also, how much did you pay for your lasik?
Old 29th August 2022, 14:10   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for the response.
Yes they do perform SMILE now as told by the doctor over the phone. In fact, they have a more modern procedure than SMILE that they perform now (not recalling the name).
Yes my number is stable now. I have been hovering around -9 since a long time.
I have already consulted with Dr. Rupal Shah in Vadodara and got the preliminary tests done there. Though, the price they quoted for SMILE surgery is more than twice the price quoted by Dr. Nitin Dedhiya.

Also, how much did you pay for your lasik?
Did Dr. Dedhia himself confirm about SMILE? If not and you want only SMILE surgery, please reconfirm once again. One of his assistants told me as well that the procedure will be flapless and bladeless, then I confirmed with Dr. Dedhia and he told me it can not be flapless as he needs to create a flap to correct the numbers. If they have started SMILE, then its a different thing.

I was quoted 1.25L for both eyes, he gave Rs. 10k discount since i was referred by another eye surgeon which I mentioned about in my previous post. Final amount that I paid was 1.15L.
Old 30th August 2022, 00:13   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Did Dr. Dedhia himself confirm about SMILE? If not and you want only SMILE surgery, please reconfirm once again.
Yes, Dr. Dedhia confirmed this himself. In order to be doubly sure I will ask him once again about the SMILE procedure.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 21:57   #359
BHPian

Hi everyone, I have an option of going for Contoura Vision or ICL procedure to remove my eye power of -8.5 in both the eyes. My insurance will cover costs for both the procedures(in ICL I may need to put small amount from my pocket). My question is which procedure should I go for given my eye power? Also, is there any risk in ICL procedure given the lenses are implanted in the eyes.

Thanks.
Old 15th September 2023, 18:17   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone, I have an option of going for Contoura Vision or ICL procedure to remove my eye power of -8.5 in both the eyes. My insurance will cover costs for both the procedures(in ICL I may need to put small amount from my pocket). My question is which procedure should I go for given my eye power? Also, is there any risk in ICL procedure given the lenses are implanted in the eyes.

Thanks.
Totally depends on the corneal thickness and curvature, I'm sure your doctor would have made the right decision.
idoctor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks