Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/45546-guide-eating-out-hyderabad-secunderabad-cyberabad-4.html)

afaik sahib sindh sultan is name after the three train engines which were the first to cross the indian borders or something like that.

chutneys is ok food wise, you get much better south indian food in places in shanbagh or kamat's or gayatri bhavan.

how about barbeque nation? food was better compared to grill room,

anyone got a penchant for sizzlers here? bluefox used toserve the best sizzlers once upon a time, yoko sizzlers was better to that sizzler chain of ohri's

kakatiya buffet is good overall so was the buffet at okra (now stopped i guess), peshawari was awesome, dunno why they closed it down.

novotel coffee shop is a good place to hang out, good food, the bar has good hookahs.. not too much formal crowd

ok, coming back to just food wise:

did anyone try poorna's beside the yousufguda stadium? a small shutter which serves amazing south indian breakfast.

there is a small restaurant on raj bhavan road called kritunga, serves good non veg from what i have heard. amazing veg biryani too.. since my office is on raj bhavan road.. most of the staff get thier food from here.

btw any bhpians been to dhudar dhaba before it closed down? the puma store came up in it's place.

more as remember, good thread mobike :)

Best samosas and chat type food is at Tiwari's at the crossing of Panjagutta Road, Raj Bhavan Road & Khairtabad Road. This is next to Concorde motors at Hyderabad.

Great sweets & snacks. They serve a good rendition of the Mumbai Pav Bhaji.

Lassis are good, snacks are great. The Samosas are the best there.

Talking about snacks, have someone been to the sindhi colony road during evenings? Amazing street side vendors selling some of these snacks :

Samosa Ragda
Cutlet Ragda
Paani Puri
Pav Bhaji
Chole Bature
Kachhi Dhabeli
Kulfi/Regular icecreams of different brands
Followed up a lovely "Calcutta meenakshi paan" from Dimpy's A/C Paan Palace:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 976277)
Talking about snacks, have someone been to the sindhi colony road during evenings? Amazing street side vendors selling ...snacks :

I used to be a regular there. Just love the atmosphere of that place, and the chaats served there are excellent!

Cheap booze with yummy (and inexpensive) food:

Blue King Bar (Sudarshan theater complex, RTC X Rd)

Bar One (a chain, spread in many suburbs)

one in Ameerpet (is it amaravathi? dont remember)

Palate Tips Bar (Vikrampuri, Sec'bad)

Maharaja Bar (Paradise - used to be famous for dancing girls too before the ban)

..and many more....come out with more names you know of!

btw, these places are not family/ladies friendly - but perfect to hang out with guys and have a great time over booze and food with minimum damage to the pocket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 975503)
There was this roadside cart which used to serve the Indo-Chinese dishes (fried rice, chicken 65,etc) on BHills Road no 12, near MLA colony, IIRC. During my jobless days in Hyderabad, my friend used to treat us at that place.

ahh... Jobless days were not considered to be pleasant, but these "Chinese bandis" were just starting and were a treat offering everything considered Chinese including soups for a steal.

Considering cash crunch scenarios, we used to pool up some money for half litre of petrol(Rs.10 approx) and some money for take away from Paradise before these Chinese stuff started.
For treats, Paradise Persis(roof top of Paradise) followed by ice cream at a parlour opp Begumpet police station, followed by pan at Ameerpet(One pan shop used to sell a cold pan next Divya Shakti apts entrance)
then home.

If we used to be crazy in college days, just sneak a ride to Tankbund. There was no necklace road then, but the Khairtabad fly over, and the NTR park road were there. And some ice cold Thums Up on a cold December night with a "kings" to share. Next to the lake of course

Those were the days...
Just got nostalgic discussing food on this thread. Hope mods dont mind...

I love Ice cream past midnight on Necklace road, till the cops used to drive us away.
There is a cafe at Lakdi-ka-pul which serves tea and biriyani even past midnight, ofcourse with the shutters closed. You just need to know how to get in through the secret entrance/exit located at the rear.

Seriously, i miss those days!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel (Post 976493)
Cheap booze with yummy (and inexpensive) food:

one in Ameerpet (is it amaravathi? dont remember)

Palate Tips Bar (Vikrampuri, Sec'bad)

I agree, since the frequency of drinking is more, need to keep researching for cheaper places with good food.

Ameerpet one, i think you must be refering to "Golden Cave" next to ICICI Bank.

Palate Tips@Vikrampuri was the venue for many improptue drink meets of some of us Hyderabadi tbhp folks.

Some more awesome places for cheap/reasonable drinks are

Madhushala ( King of cheap and great food), next to haiking in Hyderguda : Blenders Pride 1 Peg is 100 Bucks and you order 2, third is free. So effectively it is Rs.66/Pegclap:

Little Hearts:A Punjabi run bar which is bang opposite to Haiking in Hyderguda. Good Food and cheap booze

Gokul : In Kacheguda, opp to old prabhat theatre, one of my favorite joints till a few years ago.

Host: At daimond point, Sikh village, not very cheap, but amazing food and "Best Biryani in a Bar"

Golden Deer : In Ranigunj, before the bridge after crossing the tank bund road. Was the venue for one of our drink meet and i am popular there and can draw a 15% discount ( heehe). Great Biryani and second best sambhar rice ( next to only Mega City, Basheerbagh)

Sudharshan Bar & Resturant : Naryanguda Crossroads. Great food and booze.

I can rattle off another 15-20 names, will do it maybe in a later post:uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 976787)
I love Ice cream past midnight on Necklace road, till the cops used to drive us away.
There is a cafe at Lakdi-ka-pul which serves tea and biriyani even past midnight, ofcourse with the shutters closed. You just need to know how to get in through the secret entrance/exit located at the rear.
Seriously, i miss those days!

That is cafe lucky on the turning which is opposite to Central court. We used to love their biryani a lot and as you rightly said, good joint for late night biryani's. But, i haven't been there in several years now.

Guys, been to "Punjabi by Nature" last evening but there was a waiting for 1 hour so decided to move to "Terrace Bay" at Somajiguda Crossroads.

Btw, i never been to Punjabi by nature before but just happened to browse the menu at the counter at waiting area was appalled to see the prices. They go something like this

Dal Makhani : Rs.295
Veg Starters : Rs.375
Non-Veg Starters : Rs.495
Nan : Rs.95

Whew, that pricing was enough for me to back-tail out of there.

Terrace Bay, is a very nice ambient restuarant on the 5th floor with glass windows through the restuarant for beautiful view of hyderabad night. I ordered for the following :

Tawa Fish ( Rs.225) : Really juicy and full of masala, just the way i like it
Garlic Naan & Mirchi Naan ( Rs.45 each) : Quite nice
Dabha Murg ( Rs.200) : We made him take it back as we didn't like the look of the dish
British Chicken Tikka Masala (Rs.200) : It was very rich, creamy, juicy chicken tikkas but, i am little raw at heart, i still love the Papa-ji-ka-dabha wala chicken tikka masala.

No beer served as it was a dry day, but then i had stocked Foster's mini in the car and we knew the situation so had a couple of cans on the drive

All in all, a good place for a romantic dinner with your better half!

Terrace Bay is a good restaurant, indeed, and it is not far from my place. I prefer the outdoor tables, though.
Food is good, but the soft drinks are exhorbitant--I remember paying Rs 50 per coke my kids had taken.

aadix--Kritunga is quite near to my place, but I did not see a single soul in it when I ventured into it a month ago. So I've never sampled their food. Since you say it is good, I will give it a shot.

As a non drinker I have found Narmada Bar and Restaurant Basher Bahg to serve some very good food.
Bheja Fry, Cutlets coming in with honours.

But its an old school bar. Wooden benches, dingy lighting. One can almost expect the cops and robbers to show up any minute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 976877)
As a non drinker I have found Narmada Bar and Restaurant Basher Bahg to serve some very good food.
Bheja Fry, Cutlets coming in with honours.

But its an old school bar. Wooden benches, dingy lighting. One can almost expect the cops and robbers to show up any minute.

Is it the same one, opposite to Cafe Bahar? If yes, i think i went there a few years ago and it is more than old school, its ancient. Only for hard-core drinkers, you know the quarter bottle, plain water and peanuts type:)

I cannot stand that type of ambience as i prefer the ambience a little reasonable.

punjabi by nature has huggeee quantites.. food is good.. now that the bar opened up guess it will have a much bigger queue.

vnabhi, the kritunga am talking about is the one opp to the honda service centre, is it the same one?

btw which chinese bandi on rd 12? there are two and both of them are awesome!

talking about bandi food, there is a small stall beside ganpati complex, amazing mysore bondas in the morning

hey anyone like the blue diamond paan here?

btw any reviews on poison?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadix (Post 976914)
btw which chinese bandi on rd 12? there are two and both of them are awesome!

The one near MLA colony. Sorry i cant give better directions. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadix (Post 976914)
punjabi by nature has huggeee quantites.. food is good.. now that the bar opened up guess it will have a much bigger queue.
hey anyone like the blue diamond paan here?

So the quantities are huge in Punjabi by Nature? It better be at the price they are charging.

I pack a minimum of 5 paans when i am having chinese grub at Blue Diamond. 2 for me, 2 for my wife, 1 buffer if either of us need another onelol: . I hope your talking about the one outside the Fateh Maiden Stadium. Another few favorite paan centers are :

1) Palace Heights
2) Paan shop opposite to erstwhile Skyline Theatre
3) One of the favorite now is the small one oppsite to Haiking Restuarant in Hyderguda

My all time favorite is a very very small one near to papaji ka dhaba. Called Uday cafe, the paan shop owner has seen some very good business from our friends group. Daily 200 bucks minimum in paan and ciggarates during college days.

Has anybody tried the "Bade Miyan Kebabs" on Tank Bund Road?

There is another fake outlet at the end of the road not that one. I am talking about the one that is in middle of tank bund on the lower side opposite to the water end.

Amazing melting in mouth : Meat Sheek Kebabs, Chicken Kebabs, paper thin roomali rotis and their unique coriander chutney with loads of onions. The pricing is Rs.30-Rs.50 per plate.

Though i see the quantity has take a huge beating offlate. Nevertheless, a must experience for kebab lovers:)