Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 11:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Is Mongol available on DVD?
And seems like I need to get home "Home".
Old 17th June 2009, 12:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
BBC's planet earth series
All BBC's Planet Earth series by David Attenborough is extremely pleasing to te eye. Also Life of Mammals.

Movies are many, but some I can recall are LOTR, Mission, Last of the Mohicans, Forrest Gump, Fargo, Dark Knight, Abyss. Repelling was Apocalypto. Please this is my view, and some exclusions/inclusions may not sit well with others.
Old 17th June 2009, 14:46   #48
BHPian

I've got more than 150 dvds. Some of them..
Prestige
Macena's gold
Apache
Batman begins
Superman retuns
Stealth
X men 1,2 and 3
Pearl harbour
Riddick 1 and 2
Mission impossible 3
Fast and furious all parts
Star wars all the parts
Gone in 60 secs
The rock
The rundown
I can't even count there are many.
Only 5 blu-rays
Batman the dark knight
Quantum of solace....

I have special theatre room with accoustics and sound proof material as glass wool.
Harman kardon amplifier
Jbl 5.1 home theartre system.
Sony 52" W series full HD LCD.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:16   #49
BHPian

Not sure if it was mentioned before - A good movie for its effects and sound is "The Incredible Hulk"
I just finished watching it and its truly worthy to be in any HD collection!

Last edited by jassi : 14th August 2009 at 17:17.
Old 19th September 2009, 21:18   #50
BHPian

Here are two links on the top blu-rays to own - guess i need to update my HD collection

10 Best Blu-ray Movies for Home Theaters - by Digital Trends 2009 09/19

Top 25 must-have Blu-ray Discs | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews
Old 20th September 2009, 10:10   #51
BHPian

Apple has some really stunning HD trailers on their site.
Apple - Movie Trailers
Old 21st September 2009, 03:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Where are you guys getting all these BD and HD movies? I see discussions around variety of movies here in HD, are all of them available here in India? where are you guys buying them from? or is it possible to rent or something?? Really interested to know the source.
Old 21st September 2009, 09:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Where are you guys getting all these BD and HD movies? I see discussions around variety of movies here in HD, are all of them available here in India? where are you guys buying them from? or is it possible to rent or something?? Really interested to know the source.
Ketan - if you are in bangalore, just walk into any landmark or planet music store. eg. there are hundreds of bluray discs at landmark inside inox jayanagar.
Having said that, i would say 70% of my blurays (especially trilogies, etc) are bought dirt cheap (10-20usd) from the US - hence I have retained two PS3s to play indian and US BD collections - note that BDs have 3 regions - americas/singapore/japan, europes/aussie, piracy countries (india, pakistan, etc)
Another option is digital 1080p or 720p downloads. There are both legal and illegal options available I guess. You can easily find on the net a lot of HDTV recordings of concerts or discovery programs Ofcourse your BD player needs to be able to play HD files (the PS3 plays most HD files - mpg, ts, m2ts, avi etc)

Last edited by jassi : 21st September 2009 at 09:21.
Old 21st September 2009, 11:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jassi,
I shall try Jayanagar Landmark, I normally go to Landmark at forum and most of the time spent is at books section, I shall find out if these BDs and HD movies are available at Landmark, Forum. My simple setup has got 3LCD RPTV, Xbox 360, Philips 5996, Onkyo HT and I recently bought Xtreamer.
Most of the time, I love watching old hindi and some english movies, but I also like to watch movies with good / great Picture and Sound effect.
Old 21st September 2009, 11:38   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jassi,
I shall try Jayanagar Landmark, I normally go to Landmark at forum and most of the time spent is at books section, I shall find out if these BDs and HD movies are available at Landmark, Forum. My simple setup has got 3LCD RPTV, Xbox 360, Philips 5996, Onkyo HT and I recently bought Xtreamer.
Most of the time, I love watching old hindi and some english movies, but I also like to watch movies with good / great Picture and Sound effect.
3lcd rptv is a good tv, that was my last display myquestion where do you intend to put in the BDs? it seems you don't have a bluray player or PS3? xstreamer is only for hd downloads i guess
and yes forum landmark has plenty of bd movies
Old 21st September 2009, 11:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Yes, my Xbox and Philips DVD does the streaming but plays very limited no of formats.
Thats the reason, I went with the Xtreamer and my understanding is it should play good no of formats.

Xtreamer does support max of 1920x1080 resolution, however my TV is HD ready and going to play them in 1080i I believe, but that should not make a huge difference between 1080P and 1080i as long as I have good viewing distance (thats my understanding).

Xtreamer should help me with various file formats - variety of HD files, such as TP, TS ,TRP and M2T,M2TS.MTS files, but also MPEG1/2/4 , Divx (3/4/5/6), Xvid, DAT, ISO, DVD (VOB, IFO) and MKV(X.264),AVC HD, WMV9, ASF, H.264,MOV,MP4, RMVB, FLV, etc. They will continue to add more formats with the upcoming firmware if there are any left.
I read people ripping BDs and playing them using Xtreamer. Setting up a NAS will be the next project so I can dump all my DVDs (some old CDs) to it for convenient playing.
The only thing is I will have to rip the BDs and other disks to my HDD to play them using xtreamer - It can access the computer DVD drives over home network and stream media directly from there, that is one thing I have yet to test / verify.
Sorry for OT on this one, I shall continue to discuss media with good PQ/SQ here.

Last edited by Ketan : 21st September 2009 at 11:58.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I read people ripping BDs and playing them using Xtreamer.
still unclear - you need a bluray drive somewhere to pop the bluray disc in the first place, before you rip its contents out

I am watching xmen origins wolverine in full hd right now. Excellent visual/sound effects on a lot of scenes, must have in your HD collection!
Old 13th October 2009, 19:06   #58
BHPian

My Favs to watch on my Onkyo 5.1 HT (Standard 29" CTV & DVD)
1. The Rock
2. Air Force One (as mentioned by Nikhil - the fighter scrabble is a perfect test for 5.1)
3. The Matrix
4. Face Off
5. Mission Impossible II
6. House of Flying Daggers (Fantastic Visuals and Sound)

Is there a place in Bangalore to rent BD. In the old days when DVDs used to cost Rs 2000+ a few places used to rent them out. Is the same possible with BDs.
Old 28th December 2010, 19:11   #59
BHPian

Re: Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS

reviving an old thread - i am watching Avatar in Full HD on my new samsung plasma (50c550) and my jaw dropped when i saw the blacks and colors from this movie on a fully tuned setup. Avatar is a must have in your HD collection!
Old 26th October 2019, 01:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS

Trying to revive this again after long time, where are you these days, Jassi!
I did not have an opportunity to get a plasma display, bought an FALD after my 3LCD RPTV and it was just alright to watch all type of content on it. local dimming really helped with the movie experience.
However, recently I have bought LG OLED (C8) and certain movies are really enjoyable, I also moved to Marantz from Onkyo and do try to see if Dolby Atmos is sounding better than usual 5.1! Yet to get all height channels utilized though.
I still dont have a BD player, but most content I watch is using streaming services, with my ATV4K device. It's doing a decent job. Netflix has good amount of 4k/UHD/DV content and if I'm watching more than a few movies, I'm running out of data (350GB) on ACT towards the end of the month.
Guys, please share if you are watching great content in terms of audio/visuals on your home theater systems. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks