Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 11:14   #271
BHPian

Re: It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike coz....

This happened 7 years back, after few days of my wedding. Me & wife were returning to my home in our new M800. She was having a pack of Cheetos & lovingly feeding me that as well. When the pack was over, there was some fan kind of thingy free in the pack for kids to play. She tried to fix it on the AC vent & 1 piece of it fell inside the vent but was visible.

Vehicle stopped, Fevi-Quik purchased & i stuck the thing with a pen and pulled it outside.

Wife was terrified then, but now after years of seeing me wash, vacuum & polish cars thru Sunday (& many more reprimands involving dropping food/drinks, keeping spare bangle inside dashboard etc) the incident is remembered as a light joke fortunately.
Old 30th November 2012, 12:37   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
My post may be contrary to the theme of the thread, but seriously, it is really just a car. I buy a car so I and my family can "use" it, not baby it. I would rather give up a car (or it' cleanliness) than keep friends or family hungry. Now somebody regularly spilling drinks, that's different. You just need to get stuff that's manageable in car.
Yes it does hurt when someone says its 'just a car' to an enthusiast!

Most people dont come under enthusiasts! To them its just something to facilitate going from point A to B and back! I'm not saying thats a bad thing! But its just that us enthusiasts are obsessive compulsive regarding our babies(cars)!

On topic, I hate it when the tire air top up guy rests his dirty hands on the car while topping up the air!

I have started to passively train them! I give them a Rs. 10/- tip, if they top up the tyres without touching the body of the car!(they are free to touch the tires and rims though) If they do touch the body, after the top up I just get back in the car and go!(no tips then! lol)
Old 30th November 2012, 14:15   #273
BHPian

This is an awesome thread. Just was checking the thread and how each and everyone of us think alike. Till date i had a thought whether am i the only one thinking like this.

Two more points from my side

1. When you go to the bunk to fill petrol and see the guy filling petrol leaning on your car.

2. While parking the car making sure that you leave enough gap on either sides of your car to make sure that doors of the other cars dont hit yours while opening.
Old 30th November 2012, 15:37   #274
BHPian

1. I spend hours together deciding which speaker to buy, and my dad says "Speaker hi toh hai! Same awaaz ayegi."

2. I take a longer route home, just so I can avoid a few potholes.

3. In a carwash garage, I stare at the guy who parks my car after the wash for revving the engine unnecessarily.
Old 30th November 2012, 18:31   #275
BHPian

All true! One more...
Give umpteen instructions to the service advisor on what to do and what not to do when you leave the car for service.
Old 30th November 2012, 19:00   #276
BHPian

It sucks being an enthusiast because of the climate in our dear country Being an enthusiast is not simply about your automobile knowledge, your revv-happy style of driving or your affinity to T-BHP.

It's about protecting your car's internals and paint finish from the elements very ferociously as well. However, for most metros the climate is just plain horrid. You have Delhi's extreme seasonal weather, Bombay's unforgiving monsoon's and Chennai's humidity. It's a joke to see a plaque near the door of my CBU 2009 Grand Vitara asking me to check the cabin air filter every 12,000 miles if I live in North America or every 10,000 miles if I live in Japan/Europe . There should be an India only footnote for a change/ cleaning of the filter every 5000 miles because of the dust here.
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:51   #277
Senior - BHPian

It sucks when you say to someone you have a Mitsubishi and he asks "Kitna Dethee Hai".
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:16   #278
Senior - BHPian

On the trip to Ladakh Leh Kargil, I kept doing 'Ara ra ra' at every stretch of the worst stretches of bad roads and boulders which devoured us from Srinagar to Kargil and Kargil to Leh.

So much so that I used to crawl the car to almost 1 kmph over those roads causing a huge traffic jam behind as the local cars were just used to going dhadham dhoom over bad roads.

My friend got terrified at the constant beep beep in large numbers that used to accompany us at every bad road stretch. So much so that I told him 'Increase the volume of the music, I am not going fast over bad roads, come Tata or Tatra from behind'

Ultimately it took us almost 14 hours to cover a 250 km stretch but it was well worth babying the car.
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:09   #279
BHPian

It sucks being an enthusiast because Hyundai still does not make a car for us and we still have to buy it sometimes to please the other stakeholders
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:37   #280
BHPian

i agree my lord; 99% are applicable on me too.
Old 4th December 2012, 20:50   #281
BHPian

1. Do not have money/time/parking space to satisfy the enthusiast in me.

2. I have to hear opinions from automotive morons who feel they are entitled to one since they drive a car.

"Oye this is best car in the world man. I can turn the steering
with my little finger"

"We bought a Scorpio since Xylo is a very delicate vehicle"

You get the drift.

3. I cannot buy a car with
-rear wheel drive
-400 odd bhp naturally aspirate flat six petrol
-manual transmission.
-no electroni nanies.
-within 10Lakhs.
Old 5th December 2012, 19:52   #282
BHPian

This is why it sucks being an enthusiast and forever having your nose stuck against the class OR screen in the supercars and imports thread, whichever may apply
Attached Thumbnails
It sucks being an enthusiast who cares about your car & bike coz....-hahaha.jpg  

Old 6th December 2012, 09:42   #283
BHPian

It sucks being an enthusiast because

1. I hear every little unwanted noise that the car makes, its just a few coins here and there most times.
2. I spend innumerable weekends fiddling with the tweeter position to get the perfect sound stage. Still far from it!
3. Knowing everything about the best ICE or alloy wheel brand, but not being able to afford any of it.
4. No matter how much I love a human being (read relative/ friend/ best friend), I can never let him/her get into the driver's seat. Infact the only people who have driven my car other than me is my father and sister, because they're the ones paying the EMIs.
5. I hate it when the service centre or the accessory shop guys fiddle with my driving position, it takes quite some time to set the seat and the steering and everything back to perfect position.
6. I skip a parking slot if there isn't enough gap between my car and the car next to mine, I hate when people dont care about the car parked next to theirs and open their doors without bothering about the other car. My family frowns when I keep looking for the perfect parking space and they want to shop!
7. People think I am mad because I keep changing wiper blades every now and then, just because I dont like even one streak of water on the windshield.
8. I have to fight with my father to send his car to service on time, I've even got the servicing done without his knowledge at times, my sister though, is very possesive of her car, her car is mostly neat all the time or the cleaner gets a bashing.
Old 17th March 2014, 18:51   #284
Senior - BHPian

It being Holi and you absolutely hate it when people keep splashing colored water on your car. On top of it when told not to mess and spoil other people's property you get to hear taunts from brats and losers saying ' not to touch the car as it is made of gold'

Some people have no respect for other people's property. What goes around comes around and i hope these people will learn to respect's other's stuff someday.

I am sure all true blooded bhpians blood would boil when they see their car smeared with cheap holi colors.
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:05   #285
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled into this old thread. Yes, it is bad being an enthusiast as a very few understand why you treat your car the way you do. Hating those who slam the doors to avoid eating inside the car we are also a bit scared to hand over cars to folks who might not treat them well. I don't mind someone else taking my car at high speeds, but trying to launch it from zero, also when the engine is not yet warm is a No-No. A small scratch or a ding is the end of the World. That being said, joy is derived from any car regardless of it's make. From a Suzuki Swift to a BMW M5 we know how to derive fun from them !

Last edited by TrackDay : 2nd March 2021 at 10:17.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks