Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:59   #16
BHPian

i don't see anything wrong with the proposal, as mentioned in the article this sounds like the most obvious reason for a symbol

Quote:
one reason could be India's growing influence on global economy.
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

First ask the government to issue distinguishable coins, the latest Rs.5 coins get passed off as Re.1 coins many a times, all thanks to the reduction in width.
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:56   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
First ask the government to issue distinguishable coins, the latest Rs.5 coins get passed off as Re.1 coins many a times, all thanks to the reduction in width.
Seriously! The new Rs.2/- coins are also a disaster, and can easily pass for Re. 1/- coins.
Old 4th March 2009, 00:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

I bet the winner of this contest will have a good "political influence"
Old 4th March 2009, 07:36   #20
BANNED

I can see that they are going to come up with something ridiculous and there is going to be a furore and they will silently put this whole idea to sleep .

Probably someone in the Finance ministry is not getting the attention he craves
Old 4th March 2009, 07:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Let me see.

Nobody accepts the Rupee at any money exchange bureau outside India and the only place it is useful outside India is where there are Indian businessmen to do havala like in Hong Kong, Dubai and Singapore.

Oh wait I've got the perfect international symbol!
Attachment 107292
I can hear the rupee crying Kabhi Bebasi Ne Maara

Cheers
M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 4th March 2009 at 07:59.
Old 8th April 2009, 13:10   #22
BHPian

A quick update: Economic Times has come up with 19 symbols for the rupee, and it's holding a poll for deciding which one the public thinks is the best. That one goes to the Finance Ministry for approval.....

The Economic Times: Business News, Personal Finance, Financial News, India Stock Market Investing, Economy News, SENSEX, NIFTY, NSE, BSE Live, IPO News

I liked the 16th one the best! Voted for it.. Looks like a good combination of the English letter 'R' and the Hindi letter 'र'.... and easy to write too....

Old 13th April 2009, 14:31   #23
BHPian

New Rupee Symbol

Saw this in the Economic Times.
Not heard of this before. Anyways, I did not like any of the designs suggested. Most of them are complicated to draw. I'm sure there are people here who can come out with a better symbol

Click Here

The Government of India wants your help. It has invited the public to suggest a symbol for the Rupee. Just as the Dollar is universally denoted by $‚ the government thinks the Rupee should also have its own unique symbol that captures a sense of India’s history and culture.Listed below are 19 suggestions from Our team of designers. Please vote for the one you find best. Our Design Team will present all these symbols ‚ along with the Our Design Team viewers’ preference‚ to the Ministry of Finance . And‚ if you don t like these and have a symbol of your own to offer, mail it to us at editoret@indiatimes.co.in So hone your design skills and choose the right symbol for the Rupee.
Old 15th July 2010, 12:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: Rupee now has a symbol:

Read more here:

Rupee has a symbol! IIT-ian's design selected : Rediff.com Business
Attached Thumbnails
Design Rupee Symbol - Win Rs 2.5L - It is Done!-15rupee1.jpg  

Old 15th July 2010, 15:41   #25
BHPian

Good symbol ..!, D.Udayakumar, student from Gowhati IIT has designed it.He will get 2.5 Lak as reward.
US DOLLAR ,British POUND, japanees YEN, and EURO, after these now its the time for Our INDIAN RUPEE.
Proud to be an indian.
Old 16th July 2010, 11:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that symbol perfectly captures India's history and culture.
Old 16th July 2010, 11:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate the design of Rupee. Now we have Rupee symbol along with most influential countries symbols in world.
Old 16th July 2010, 11:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

That's a really great design. I dont think it could have been any better. Congrats to UdayaKumar. Hope this symbol will be soon made available in Unicode and keyboards. I am still not sure of the intend of this logo though. INR is not even listed in the top 20 currencies that we see on various money exchange centers across the world, except probably in Gulf countries. Printing this on currency notes and coins will give it good publicity within the country. It needs to be seen how can they make it recognizable outside.

That brings us to the question of how do we promote a currency? While increased tourist flow may give it some recognizability, in international monetary markets it is all about influence. Even the export juggernaut China could not yet manage to make its currency very popular, may be because it is pegged to USD.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:14   #29
BANNED

I like it. When can we expect in Unicode? How to get the fonts with it or update once character in the font.
Old 16th July 2010, 15:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

he goes in history books.

congratulations to him!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks