Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 15:31   #31
BHPian

Hello Mods,

Its time to change the title of the thread to " Rupee has a symbol now" Please advice
Old 16th July 2010, 17:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Yes, me too liked the new symbol. Somehow, it is appealing to me more of a Hindi word than a word in English.
Old 16th July 2010, 20:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonian View Post
Good symbol ..!, D.Udayakumar, student from Gowhati IIT has designed it.
Correction. He passed out from IIT Powai and was due to join IIT Gawhati as a lecturer.

I loved the symbol and and Kudos to Udaya Kumar for his efforts. I hope to see it on my keypad very soon among the $ and pound symbol.

However 2.5 L is a little too little. I hope he covers the rest in Advertisements and interviews.

I really really liked the symbol and what it represents.
Old 16th July 2010, 21:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Slashdot Your Rights Online Story | India's New Rupee Symbol Won't Show On Computers

Quote:
"It will take at least 18 months for encoding in Unicode the symbol for the Indian rupee that was approved by the Indian cabinet on Thursday. But it may be over two years before the rupee symbol starts showing on computers and mobile phones, analysts said. Many vendors are also undecided whether they will offer the new symbol on keyboards and keypads, or as additions in software to the character set supported by their devices. Nokia, for example, welcomed the move by the Indian government to have a symbol for the rupee. But a company spokeswoman said it's too early to comment on how the symbol will be implemented, whether on the phone keypad or on the character list."
Welcome to reality.
Old 16th July 2010, 21:21   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post

Apologies, I have not read /. ; do not read since long.

But, let us be realistic - we have a symbol, alright, but unless we start to use it in the digital world without proper standards, we are bound to end up in a mess.

Keyboards cannot send out the RS symbol by themselves - the appropriate code needs to be supported by the driver. The keyboard driver(s) cannot send out arbitrary codes at their whims and fancies; else the code sent out by the driver written by you will be different from the driver written by me. And the fonts need to have the glyph (symbol) for the new sign.

And that decision has to be taken by a standards body.

That body is is the Unicode Consortium.

The government made the decision yesterday; the proposal is before the Unicode today. (they did not wait for the government to submit a proposal). What better treatment can you expect from an International standards body?

The proposal will move in parallel in both Unicode and ISO / TEC 10646.

Once the standards are decided - 3 to 6 months maximum - the software creators need to get newer versions of software, (or patches) and fonts out. This will take maximum of 2-3 months on Free/Open Source platforms like Ubuntu / Red Hat / Fedora / *BSD, etc. may be another 3 months for Microsoft.

Of course, creating / midifying an existing font and other software is a trivial job, but you need to have the code point fixed. A formal decision is a formal decision. There is no substitute for that.

Hardware? No really, no need not change any hardware.
Old 17th July 2010, 22:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Hardware? No really, no need not change any hardware.
But why is Nokia talking about keypads? I am not able to comprehend that.

Quote:
it's too early to comment on how the symbol will be implemented, whether on the phone keypad or on the character list.
Old 19th July 2010, 19:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

There is an article on Rediff that why was it a soft launch ? Crap! Why ?! You want to spend millions on the celebrations and burn money for nothing ?! I am happy the governement did not make a big deal of it and didn't waste public money.
Old 29th July 2010, 01:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

For those who want to use Rupee symbol.

1. Download this file (.pdf) and rename it to (.rar). Tbhp server does not allow rar file.

2. Unrar with Winrar.

3. Follow Instructions.

HOW TO USE THE FONT ?
1. Open any word processor like MS Office or Open Office.
2. Select "Rupee Foradian" from Fonts list
2. Press the [~] on your key board to get the rupee symbol.

Rupee_Font_Installer.pdf (Rename to .rar)

Design Rupee Symbol - Win Rs 2.5L - It is Done!-rupee.jpg

Last edited by SirAlec : 29th July 2010 at 01:11.
Old 29th July 2010, 19:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Symbol is good but takes 3 strokes. Would have preferred something in 1-stroke or 2-strokes. I feel even if top stroke is dropped, it still retains its identify.
Old 29th July 2010, 19:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

^^ I feel the top stroke gives it more character. Forward motion types.
Old 29th July 2010, 20:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

HOW TO USE THE FONT ?
1. Open any word processor like MS Office or Open Office.
2. Select "Rupee Foradian" from Fonts list
2. Press the [~] on your key board to get the rupee symbol.

That's not the right way to implement a symbol. The new rupee symbol should be a Unicode character and not some font. You never have to download a font to see Dollar $, Euro (€), Yen (¥) or Pound (£). The new rupee symbol should get approval from Unicode Consortium to make it a standard.

Actually there is already a Unicode symbol for INR registered. The Unicode for this symbol is U+20A8. Probably we need to replace this existing symbol with the new one. That would be the best way to introduce our new rupee symbol and it will also make sure that existing documents which are using the old symbol will automatically upgraded to the new one.
Old 29th July 2010, 20:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

@SirAlec - Thanks for sharing. The font rocks
Design Rupee Symbol - Win Rs 2.5L - It is Done!-re.jpg
Old 29th July 2010, 21:27   #43
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Correction. He passed out from IIT Powai and was due to join IIT Gawhati as a lecturer.
Correction again, it is not Gawhati, it is Guwahati.

I love the symbol. It is quite Indian. A right combination between English 'R' and Devanagri 'Ra'. Excellent.

Congrats D. Udaya Kumar.
Old 29th July 2010, 21:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
That's not the right way to implement a symbol. T
Ofcourse everybody knows that.
But for some of us who want to use it in current situation its the best and easiest way. Instead of pasting an image on text.

I am glad some folks worked pretty hard on this and released it in just few days of the announcement.

Hurray to them.

Last edited by SirAlec : 29th July 2010 at 21:34.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:53   #45
BANNED

SirAlec - please do not create incompatible data.

Somebody is using the Rs. symbol; somebody is using the ` mark. somebody is using the code for ~. Somebody is using the PUA (Private Uuse Area).

And all the data created using each font will be mutually incompaible. Means, if my document created using the Rs. sign is opened by a guy who has the new symbol at the ~ mark will not see the rupee symbol. Do remember that ~ is sometimes used as the "approximation" sign.

And sometimes, the guy in Pakistan will want to see the Rs. sign as is, not the Indian sign. So, please wait for a few weeks, till the time Unicode comes out with a standard - the process is already underway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks