Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: SEAT BELTS
Not very specific about wearing seat belts (including me) 7 4.58%
I definitely wear it. But will not insists others 24 15.69%
Will make sure both driver and passenger in front have to buckle. Will not insist on rear passenger 94 61.44%
I will make sure all the passengers have belted up 28 18.30%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 11:52   #46
Team-BHP Support

Recently I did something stupid.
Pushed my wagon r into a turn at a speed not quite correct for that turn.

The car started a power slide.
I am sure that if I did not have my seat belt on, I would have slipped off the seat.
I was anyways getting pushed into the door.
The seat belt ensured I was firmly held in place while controlling the steering and praying.
Old 17th September 2009, 12:17   #47
Team-BHP Support

I don't feel comfortable driving a car without a seat belt. So, city or highway, I always wear it. I also make sure that the person sitting in the passenger seat wears his belt.
On the highway, if the car has rear seatbelts, I make sure that the passengers in the rear seat wear theirs too. I'm not very particular about this in the city.
Old 17th September 2009, 12:26   #48
Team-BHP Support

I have seen plenty of cabbies in Bangalore who pull the seat belt right to their hips, but refuse to lock it in place. If they can do that much, why don't they go all the way?

A friend of mine once told me that when they do meet with an accident that they're responsible for, they can make a quick getaway from their seat and this wouldn't be possible if the seat belt is locked in place! The nerve!
Old 17th September 2009, 12:40   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A friend of mine once told me that when they do meet with an accident that they're responsible for, they can make a quick getaway from their seat and this wouldn't be possible if the seat belt is locked in place! The nerve!
The stupidity.

Ask your foolish friend to google for
Seatbelts Ejected

I hate people who ignore science in this case Newton's laws over their own ignorant gut feel.

Last edited by bblost : 17th September 2009 at 12:41.
Old 17th September 2009, 12:51   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

For everyone who thinks that seat belts are not necessary for city driving; just how fast do you think you need to be going before you risk rearranging your face and bones, possibly fataly, in an accident?

For everyone who thinks that rear seatbelts are not necessary, or only for highways, watch this:

Old 17th September 2009, 13:00   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The stupidity.

Ask your foolish friend to google for
Seatbelts Ejected

I hate people who ignore science in this case Newton's laws over their own ignorant gut feel.
He was actually referring to the cab drivers in Bangalore when I had mentioned the same thing to him. He injected some humor into it. He said that the cabbies don't fasten their seat belts because they can make a quick getaway from their seat in the even of an accident that they're responsible for
Old 17th September 2009, 13:20   #52
BANNED

These are the steps I follow:
1. Unlock the car.
2. Get into the driver's seat.
3. Close the door and lock it from inside.
4. Fasten the seatbelt.
5. Start the engine.
6. Check/tell front passenger to fasten his/her seatbelt compulsorily.
7. Check rearview mirrors and side mirrors
8. Have a quick look at the dashboard and drive.

By doing this, my car has idled for some time, and I m comfortable in the seat.
I insist on the front passenger wearing the seatbelt if it is my car,and the rear passengers on a ring road or a highway.
If I m sitting in someones car, I wear my belt and tell the owner/driver to wear it only once. The rest is left to him/her as I have seen egos bruised if I stretch the point with them.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:44   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I insist on the front passenger wearing the seatbelt if it is my car,and the rear passengers on a ring road or a highway.
Then you put your own life at risk on other roads. See Youtube above.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:46   #54
BHPian

I have been using seat bealts since 1998 and has become a habit. Actually I find something is missing if my seat belt is not on. I make sure that family members in the front are buckled up. If it is a friend or a relative I insist that they put it on, but leave it if they are adamant about not wearing one. On the highway I try to ensure that even the back seat passengers are buckled up.

Strangely I have a cousing of mine who probably spent 30 years of his life in India and the last 10 years abroad. For him it is kind of funny why drivers in India buckle up in city driving conditions. He rarely buckles up while in India. More of an attitude problem.

A school friend of mine lost his wife and 4 year old kid in city driving conditions. My friend was doing about 40-50km while the culprit, yellow board cab driver in a Tavera, coming in the opposite direction and overtaking from the worng side banged into his car at more than 80-90kmph. The kid being in the back seat was not wearing a seat belt. She was literally thrown across to the front windsheild and had a fatal head injury.

Many a times I have seen cars with airbags and children in the front seats. The families in such seem to well educated and decent. The manual clearly mentions that children can be killed in case of a collison and airbag deployment. Wonder if it ignorance or arrogance
Old 17th September 2009, 13:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

There is no question of not wearing a seat belt for me. More of it’s a habit for me.
On Highways I insist that all members front & rear are belted. In normal city ride condition I insist that the front seat passengers must use seat belts.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:33   #56
BHPian

I generally am alone on the drives ( routine daily commute is 150Kms) and wear the seat belt the moment i start the car. With family, it's compulsory for the Front seat passenger to wear a seat belt.
Somehow, they always object to the rear seats belt. Will have to followup i guess.

Very close Friends of mine were saved due to the seat belt and a friend lost his wife in the same accident.
Old 18th September 2009, 10:45   #57
Senior - BHPian

I've seen videos where passengers without seatbelts are thrown-off and have their heads hit the other (belted) passengers. Guess it's risky for you even if your co-passsenger is not belted. Would post the link to such a video after googling
Old 18th September 2009, 11:56   #58
BHPian

Our New buy, VW Jetta, has a seat belt buzzer even for front passenger. An absolute delight when travelling with non-conforming elder family members.
Old 18th September 2009, 12:13   #59
Shivashara

I will insist on seat belt for front passenger and have never asked for rear passenger in city driving but from now on I will ask rear passengers also if speed is greater than 80 kmph.
My nephew and his wife were badly hit in skoda and they were sitting behind without wearing seat belt, their son was driving and daughter was in front passenger seat, were wearing seat belt and saved with miner injuries.

Last edited by Shivashara : 18th September 2009 at 12:23.

Old 18th September 2009, 22:15   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will ask rear passengers also if speed is greater than 80 kmph.
Watch the video I posted. That is city-street driving, it would be a 40Kmh (well, 30MPH) limit, and reconsider that. Just, simply, make it an always!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks