Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 14:51   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Soya Chunks Gravy - A veggie special :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
... 3. Heat oil, add Brinji leaf, ...
What is 'Brinji' leaf?

Wow, that is almost the same masala as Roghan Josh (mutton, chicken) of Kashmir. The essential differences are:
1. Roasted, grated copra instead of fresh coconut
2. Kashmiri chillies instead of regular red ones
3. A bit of cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and mace ground into the paste for the aroma! (Adding Garam Masala powder never has the same effect, even if the ingredients are the same)

I make the same gravy and bake / steam a whole cauliflower in it (Musallam Gobhi).
* Unless you are an insectatarian too, do soak the whole cauliflower in water with a large amount of salt to eliminate the green wiggly-wigglies that are present usually
* Cut away as much of the thick stems without disintegrating the 'flower
* Before putting on the thick gravy, roast the whole 'flower with a bit of oil till you get that aroma
* Cook the 'flower upside down in the gravy, so that it reaches deep into the flowerets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I like those lumps. ... I love Coconut.
I do too. I still remember the usual vendor's cry at light points and bus stands in Delhi "Gola giri, kachchi giri". Looked deliciously refreshing, but I could never get past the DelhiBelly-preventive programming my mom had done in my brain since childhood - "DON'T eat uncovered stuff and stuff soaked in water". Just had to resort to buying whole coconuts to satisfy the craving!

Last edited by DerAlte : 5th July 2012 at 15:01.
Old 5th July 2012, 15:00   #647
Senior - BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

DerAlte; can you please share your recipe for rogan josh? would also appreciate any other meat recipes that you think are worth trying out if you have already posted it here, let me know and I will search again
Edit

How to cook soft rice (as against separate grain cooked rice)
with the same amount of water in the pressure cooker, get 3 whistles on normal flame and a 4th one on low/ sim flame.
assuming for normal rice, it is just 3 whistles

soft rice works better when had with chutneys, ghee, etc. I prefer soft rice anyway.

Last edited by selfdrive : 5th July 2012 at 15:25.
Old 5th July 2012, 15:10   #648
BHPian

Re: Soya Chunks Gravy - A veggie special :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What is 'Brinji' leaf?

Wow, that is almost the same masala as Roghan Josh (mutton, chicken) of Kashmir.
3. A bit of cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and mace ground into the paste for the aroma! (Adding Garam Masala powder never has the same effect, even if the ingredients are the same)

DerAlte, "Guten Apetit"!!!

The Bay leaf is called "Brinji Elai" (Elai = Leaf) in Tamil. Just got both mixed up as we call it as "Brinji Leaf" at our regional homes.

And good to know this curry goes parallel to the Roghan Josh Recipe. I must say this is one of the best what my wife cooks in veggies, Yummy!

Rightly mentioned about the Garam Masala my friend, I have realised too it in each of my cooking sessions. The Garam Masala may have exactly the same ingredients, still when we add these spices in our best combinations & grind it - wah wah wah - it is the best in its true sense!!
Old 6th July 2012, 16:28   #649
BANNED

Any idea I can buy the type of bread used in Subway Sandwiches?
Old 6th July 2012, 16:39   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Any idea I can buy the type of bread used in Subway Sandwiches?
buy or make?

you can buy it in Bakers basket or relevant bakery chains.
If you want to make it, I will try to dig out the recipe. which one did you want, Italian?
Old 6th July 2012, 17:18   #651
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
buy or make?

you can buy it in Bakers basket or relevant bakery chains.
If you want to make it, I will try to dig out the recipe. which one did you want, Italian?
No, no. Buy only!!!
There is no baker's basket in Bombay - any other place where I can get these - I checked in my neighbourhood bakeries, they don't seem to have this kind of bread.
Old 6th July 2012, 17:38   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
There is no baker's basket in Bombay - any other place where I can get these - I checked in my neighbourhood bakeries, they don't seem to have this kind of bread.
well, then Pune seems to have an eclectic mix of bakeries because I have seen this in quite a few places.
Sometimes, a similar kind is also available in some supermarkets which have bakeries. Never tried that though.

I will try to bake one if I find time this Sunday and then return to you with results. I made pizzas (including dough & base) a few weeks ago and they seemed fine. Now I need to take the next step.

Last edited by selfdrive : 6th July 2012 at 17:39.
Old 6th July 2012, 20:46   #653
Senior - BHPian

I was preparing mirchi pakoda today evening to surprise my wife, and after all the big chillies got over, there was still some gram flour batter left. So I cut a small brinjal and made pakodas out of it.

My wife took a bite of one piece, and the juices squirted out. The taste was horrible too. She looked at me as if to ask, "do you love me only so much?".

Moral: brinjal pakoda? NEVER.
Old 7th July 2012, 17:37   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I was preparing mirchi pakoda today evening to surprise my wife, and after all the big chillies got over, there was still some gram flour batter left. So I cut a small brinjal and made pakodas out of it.

My wife took a bite of one piece, and the juices squirted out. The taste was horrible too. She looked at me as if to ask, "do you love me only so much?".

Moral: brinjal pakoda? NEVER.
We make Brinjal Pakodas, but we slice the brinjal, so that we get thin Pakodas, like the potato ones. Brinjal Pakodas are an integral part of Bengali feast, so next time try them out with thin slices.
Old 7th July 2012, 19:04   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
... Brinjal Pakodas, but we slice the brinjal, so that we get thin Pakodas ...
Different variety of brinjal than ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
... So I cut a small brinjal and made pakodas out of it. ...
Eeeuw! You must have used the small oval ones with mottled skin (the usual Bangalore brinjal). This is not suitable because it is denser and has a stronger taste. What is good for badanekai ennegai or huLi is not good for Pakoda.

Try it with the larger purple ones like @aroy described, you will regain faith! And try putting a wee bit of ajwain (oma) or jeera or kalajeera / kalonji (black onion seeds) in the batter - now THAT will give you the authentic north / east Indian taste in the pakoda.

In Bangalore, 'brinjal is brinjal is brinjal ...' is not true - there are 7-8 varieties commonly available in the veg markets. Other than the usual large north Indian ones, the others are not suitable for north / east Indian dishes. In north India, the unique purple brinjal color is a valid name of a color (baingani). In south India that would be confusing - one sees anything from purple to green to yellow to white, and stripes and spots as combinations!!!

That reminds me - has anyone tried pakodas made of flowers of any of the gourd family (pumpkin / lauki / heerekai)? Since kitchen gardens have vanished in most places, I guess this would be a real rarity now. All around the Mediterranean, they make a slightly different version - stuffed with herbs and crumbly goat cheese like feta, coated with batter and crumbs and deep fried or baked. Yum!

Last edited by DerAlte : 7th July 2012 at 19:05.
Old 7th July 2012, 21:10   #656
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I tried the small brinjal with purple and white skin. I also have the green-white brinjal (what we call gulla in Mangalore), but did not try them for pakoda.

I have bottlegourd at home. If wife permits, I'll try tomorrow when I try big purple brinjal.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:15   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That reminds me - has anyone tried pakodas made of flowers of any of the gourd family (pumpkin / lauki / heerekai)? Since kitchen gardens have vanished in most places, I guess this would be a real rarity now. All around the Mediterranean, they make a slightly different version - stuffed with herbs and crumbly goat cheese like feta, coated with batter and crumbs and deep fried or baked. Yum!
In North and East Pumpkin flowers are used for pakodas. The method is same as used for Spinach or Onions - cut them into small pieces, mix with batter and fry. In our locality, enterprising vendors are selling them for Rs. 2/ a piece
Old 8th July 2012, 11:21   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
... cut them into small pieces, mix with batter and fry ...
Err ... I have only seen the whole flower dipped in batter, not chopped.
Old 8th July 2012, 14:11   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
In North and East Pumpkin flowers are used for pakodas. The method is same as used for Spinach or Onions - cut them into small pieces, mix with batter and fry. In our locality, enterprising vendors are selling them for Rs. 2/ a piec
Is this the Bok ful? and no please dont chop up the flower . Simple dip, deep fry and savour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf
Yes, I tried the small brinjal with purple and white skin. I also have the green-white brinjal (what we call gulla in Mangalore), but did not try them for pakoda.

I have bottlegourd at home. If wife permits, I'll try tomorrow when I try big purple brinjal.
Maybe you can spice it up a bit with chopped chilly without the seeds mixed into the batter. That would take away the bad watery taste of the brinjal when cooked as a pakoda. One chilly not more though.
You can try having bharta. The recipe in my home requires medium purple brinjal. With a nice serving of chillies onions and mustard oil. Brinjal roast tastes awesome.
Btw since you are from mangalore can you help me with a recipe for the Mangalore bun? I only get to eat it in the canteen everyday. Not exactly healthy considering what oils they may use. But i love the bun.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 8th July 2012 at 14:18.
Old 8th July 2012, 18:55   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
... a recipe for the Mangalore bun? ...
1. Sieve together 250g of maida and a teaspoon of baking powder
2. Mash one large ripe banana and add it to the mix with a bit of sugar and salt, a pinch of cardamom powder and a teaspoon of oil
3. Make a softish dough with lukewarm water, and leave it covered in a warm place to prove for a couple of hours
4. Make balls, roll out the size of large pooris, and deep fry them till golden brown

Enjoy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks