Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 11:05   #901
Team-BHP Support

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Frozen peas work best when added in frozen from - separated into individual bits, not as a lump - about 5 min. before end. This way the peas become tender, don't overcook and retain their brilliant green color.

!
you are absolutely correct. However, I have seen many people desire the gravy taste in peas also. If you give just one whistle, peas do not overcook.
I personally prefer the gravy taste, though I also pan cook the peas such that they retain their green color and sweet taste esp in dry vegetables, like Cabbage-peas.
However, in things like Aloo-Mattar, I prefer the slightly broken pea
Old 30th April 2013, 11:21   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... However, I have seen many people desire the gravy taste in peas also. If you give just one whistle, peas do not overcook. ...
The problem is the seed coat on the pea - only water goes through, that also very slowly. Perhaps crushing the peas (enough to break that seed coat) will help in letting the gravy in. Try lightly crushing the peas (in a kitchen towel) with a rolling pin before cooking.
Old 30th April 2013, 13:53   #903
BHPian

Going slightly OT here, but this is in the interest of food lovers. Masterchef Australia 5 has leaked this: http://www.masterchef.com.au/meet-th...ontestants.htm

Now on topic, I want to know if there are any Sindhis in this thread? Here's a simple thing that sindhis love with Dal-Rice or Sai Bhaji + Tukka Aloo + Brown Pulav or any rice dish. It's called Papad ka churma.

Papad ka Churma (for 2 people)

1. Roast 4-5 (Urad) papads. Make sure that they haven't burnt.
2. Crush these roasted papad into tiny pieces (But not powdery)
3. In a pan heat up some oil.
4. Add crushed papads and mix a pinch of salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chillies in it.
5. Stir the mix for 3-4 mins in high-flame and take it out.

It's ready!

You can also add pieces of green chilly and coriander or dry garlic to change the flavour.

Let me know if someone tries it out.
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:54   #904
Team-BHP Support

My Mixed up dinner last night.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-dinner.jpg

1. Pita Bread: My sister in law flew in from Dubai, got me a packet.
2. Hommos: ~Rs 100 from Ratnadeep supermarket.

Spinach and Paneer:
Actually prepared this for lunch and had some of it leftover.
Blacked spinach by dropping in boiling water. 2 mins later, dunked it into ice water.
Fried some paneer in butter, grated some garlic over it.
Added the blanched spinach. Tossed in some salt.

Grilled Tuna:
I loved this. My daughter found it a little chewy so she ate it like chewing gum and then spat it out. My wife was ok with it but she is not a fan of Tuna. Likes it in Subway sandwiches. Can someone help me with that recipe, please!

I ground some black pepper, added olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and dill leaves. Mixed it all up in the mixie.
Coated the tuna fillets with this.
Left it for approximately 30 minutes.
Grilled it with a little oil on a stove.
Old 4th May 2013, 12:02   #905

Make fresh cottage cheese. Do not strain much.
Add some cheese spread and add finely chopped capsicum and carrots.
Add some olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar.
Mix them all together. Season with salt and black pepper powder.
This is your healthy breakfast.
Optionally you can garnish with grapes and pomegranate seeds.

Here you go:

Attached Thumbnails
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_3938.jpg  

Old 6th May 2013, 15:50   #906
Senior - BHPian

Is it alright to use refined oil (Sundrop for example) while marinating chicken breasts to make chicken tikkas later on. I plan on deep freezing the marinated chicken breasts and only take out few hundred gms every day to make the tikkas for lunch.
Old 7th May 2013, 11:34   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is it alright to use refined oil (Sundrop for example) while marinating chicken breasts to make chicken tikkas later on. I plan on deep freezing the marinated chicken breasts and only take out few hundred gms every day to make the tikkas for lunch.
There should not be any problem.
You can also do away with oil and use normal (or slightly sour) curd as a base for your marinade.

If you plan to use a little bit at a time, I would suggest that you separate the pieces for each use. That way you will not have to disturb the rest.
Old 7th May 2013, 11:51   #908
Senior - BHPian

@Aroy: Thanks, I used Saffola Gold, 1.5 tbsp for 500 gms of chicken and they turned out okay when I cooked them today morning.

I used it along with curd as my experience without oil hasn't been very good in the past, the tikkas turned out rubbery and wouldn't even cook properly. Also, 1.5 tbsp of oil across 3 meals isn't that bad for the health I figured.
Old 7th May 2013, 16:21   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
... use normal (or slightly sour) curd as a base for your marinade. ...
Quote:
... I used it along with curd as my experience without oil hasn't been very good in the past, the tikkas turned out rubbery and wouldn't even cook properly. ...
1. If one intends to freeze and use portions, curd is a real bad idea - it changes the flavor over time, and one lands up with pasty stuff (after thawing) that doesn't fry / roast well

2. Marination is best done in 2 parts, one before freezing (dry spices, ginger, garlic etc.) and one immediately after thawing (fresh stuff like curd, cream, lemon, green coriander paste etc.)

3. Oil doesn't change anything in the marinade (no flavor, only slows surface drying) till the chicken goes over heat, so it is fine before or after freezing

4. Rubbery = overcooked! Undercooked cuts easily. But yes, a bit of oil while roasting prevents the chicken from becoming dry and tough. It actually reduces cooking time (by sealing the surface)
Old 7th May 2013, 16:52   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. If one intends to freeze and use portions, curd is a real bad idea - it changes the flavor over time, and one lands up with pasty stuff (after thawing) that doesn't fry / roast well

2. Marination is best done in 2 parts, one before freezing (dry spices, ginger, garlic etc.) and one immediately after thawing (fresh stuff like curd, cream, lemon, green coriander paste etc.)
What would be a good alternate to deep-freeze the marinade & chicken and still be able to use all ingredients while cooking?

I'm sharing the recipe below, the objective is to deep freeze the chicken with marinade, take out a small portion and thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before grilling it in convection the next morning.

1. Put the chicken pieces in a bowl, add lemon juice and keep aside for 5 mins.
2. Mix the marinade ingredients (ginger & garlic paste, curd, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, tandoori/chicken masala, green chillies (minced) and oil)
3. Mix the chicken and the marinade and let it marinate overnight
4. Cook the tikkas the next morning

I can avoid curd altogether because I have no idea how it contributes to the final output.
Old 7th May 2013, 17:18   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... deep-freeze the marinade & chicken and still be able to use all ingredients while cooking? ...
1. If you are going to freeze it, don't add salt. Salt draws out the water, and so does freezing. You will get chicken which has lost a lot of water after thawing - and that water cannot be restituted.

2. First prick the pieces all over with a fork. Then apply lemon juice and let rest for 10-15 min

3. Then, add the dry spices and g&g paste - everything in your recipe except curd and green chilly mince. Add the oil and mix once again thoroughly till the surface is dry / oily

4. Separate into portions. Get bamboo skewers (thin long sticks like they use with Satay), which you can thread through the portions. Separate pieces with an onion segment (one layer, quartered). Wrap each stick in cling wrap and freeze

5. When you want to cook, remove from freezer and thaw with the cling wrap on. Remove cling wrap. Curd adds a tangy surface to the tikka - difficult to replicate otherwise. If you want to use curds (should be thick - best is hang in cloth for a couple of hours), you can apply now along with green chillies and a bit of turmeric and chilly powder. Grill.

BTW, Convection is not a good idea. The hot circulating air dries the tikkas in a jiffy. Just use the grill till done, turning it a few times and basting with a bit of oil/ghee on top with a brush or rag.
Old 7th May 2013, 17:30   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. If you are going to freeze it, don't add salt....
With about 400 gms of chicken left in the freezer I think the damage is already done. I just called up my mom and asked her to put it in the refrigerator instead. Will grill the entire chicken tonight itself and make a simple onion & tomato curry (along with the usual spices) and have this not so good alternate to chicken tikka masala.

Thanks for the tips!

BTW, would freezing in an airtight container and thawing in another airtight container not do the same thing as the cling wrap?
Old 7th May 2013, 18:43   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... would freezing in an airtight container and thawing in another airtight container not do the same thing as the cling wrap?
The culprit is not the air around, it is the adhesion of the frozen surfaces due to moisture that was there on the surface *before* freezing! Ice on plastic slides off easily and doesn't adhere to it.
Old 7th May 2013, 18:57   #914
BHPian

Does anyone have an easy recipe for Nihari? I love the dish, but with the amount of oil it has, eating low grade oil in Nizamuddin on a regular basis has to be a bad idea.

Ps.: I don't have a grinder, microwave or oven.
Old 7th May 2013, 20:24   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Does anyone have an easy recipe for Nihari? I love the dish, but with the amount of oil it has, eating low grade oil in Nizamuddin on a regular basis has to be a bad idea.

Ps.: I don't have a grinder, microwave or oven.
And neither does the Nihari waala at Old Delhi!
(I have never tasted Nihari of Nizamuddin, so I don't have a great idea about it)

1. The first and foremost thing to get THE TASTE of nihari is to get beef shanks. (Or lamb/mutton if you don't prefer beef)
2. You need to be extremely patient while cooking these - under non pressurized conditions it may take 6-8 hours. Under pressurized conditions it may take 2 hours or so.
3. The basic spices: (Old delhi style) Red chilli, Coriander, Black pepper, Aniseed, Cumin, Clove, Turmeric, Star Anise.
4. Lots and lots of ghee to fry all of the above with ginger paste.
5. Once you've fried the stuff, you add water and let it stew (this is that part that requires patience).
6. You can add the optional spices (cardamon, mace, nutmeg, cassia/cinnamon) at the end as powder once you are ready with the stew.

I have deliberately not given any quantity of spice, since its individual taste ...

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th May 2013 at 20:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks