Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2014, 20:58   #1291
BHPian

re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

I have begin to dislike one of my (and my son) favorite dish, tandoori chicken which I order from local restaurant. So last week I tried to make it my way using charcoal on grills but the end result was not good.

So I have decided to buy a OTG with a budget of around 5-6K but I am confused between two models of Morphy Richards. One is 26 RC-SS and other is 24 RSS. This OTG will also be used for other usual OTG stuff.

Apart from capacity what else is different in these two models?
Old 4th June 2014, 21:39   #1292
BHPian

Recipes/Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP-Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
I have begin to dislike one of my (and my son) favorite dish, tandoori chicken which I order from local restaurant. So last week I tried to make it my way using charcoal on grills but the end result was not good.

So I have decided to buy a OTG with a budget of around 5-6K but I am confused between two models of Morphy Richards. One is 26 RC-SS and other is 24 RSS. This OTG will also be used for other usual OTG stuff.

Apart from capacity what else is different in these two models?

Experts to comment, but I think smaller size OTG may give you better results, I missed on this fact and ended up buying a large OTG, I don't find the results very great and moreover it takes longer to cook

OT - is there a thread here on bread making at home, I am considering to buy kenwood bread maker, need some first hand experience, and also how to source ingredients

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP

Last edited by Anupam : 4th June 2014 at 21:43.
Old 5th June 2014, 06:59   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I have decided to buy a OTG ....
I think your purpose will be better served with the low profile 'electric tandoors' like these:
http://www.smartmartretail.com/Produ...s.aspx?id=MzU1

http://www.homeshop18.com/home-pro-e...8540/cid:3612/
Old 5th June 2014, 11:27   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
... Will the addition of the dhal not change the color of the dosai.
No, it doesn't - too little even to give a yellowish tinge. Soaked Chana Dal has a light cream color when ground with water.
Old 5th June 2014, 16:57   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I think your purpose will be better served with the low profile 'electric tandoors' like these:
http://www.smartmartretail.com/Produ...s.aspx?id=MzU1

http://www.homeshop18.com/home-pro-e...8540/cid:3612/
I was suggested by expert tbhp members to stay away from these types of tandoors.
Old 5th June 2014, 17:31   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... stay away from these types of tandoors.
Correct. These are terrible products with quality much worse than the branded OTGs. There only advantage is cheap price, which is due to the fact that they are much smaller than the smallest OTGs on the market. All these so called 'tandoors' have an interior volume of less than 10L, and you will never be able to put in a whole chicken or even a whole fish or vegetables.

Granted that the smaller volume allows for a lower electrical rating, but the closeness of the heating elements to the food means external charring without the insides being cooked. Also, the thermostats used in these boxes are usually out by 30C or more, i.e. if you set 180C, it will actually be 150C or 210C.
Old 5th June 2014, 17:53   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Correct. These are terrible products with quality much worse than the branded OTGs. There only advantage is cheap price, which is due to the fact that they are much smaller than the smallest OTGs on the market. All these so called 'tandoors' have an interior volume of less than 10L, and you will never be able to put in a whole chicken or even a whole fish or vegetables..............
Yeah I remember you told me this last year.
Any idea what could be the difference between these two OTG models? The only different spec with 26RC-SS is barbecue tray cum wire grill. This may mean that it has barbecue tray/grill to barbecue food but all OTG do have grill to place the food.
Old 5th June 2014, 18:44   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correct. These are terrible products with quality much worse than the branded OTGs. .....
I would disagree here. A two years manufacturer's guarantee does not point to a 'terrible' product!
I have had tandoori made in such ovens and the results are nothing short of excellent, compared to the best that I can ever manage in my conventional oven!

Tandoori chicken in particular turns out superb! A small 'desi' chicken (600 gms or so) can go in whole, else it needs to be cut up.
Many of these electric tandoors come without a thermostat; you regulate the cooking by partially taking out the tray or turning the elements off for a while.
These ovens reach much higher temperatures than any OTG can. Perfect for searing and sealing in the juices, after which the cooking can be done at a slower pace.
Once you have tried tandoori chicken made in such an oven you'll want to get one for yourself; I mean the oven, not the chicken!
Old 5th June 2014, 18:46   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The only different spec with 26RC-SS is barbecue tray cum wire grill. This may mean that it has barbecue tray/grill to barbecue food but all OTG do have grill to place the food.
That is "ullu banawing" language. Yes, there has to be a trivet / tray to keep food on - in any oven. The only difference between the 26RC-SS (26 liters) and the 'tandoors' in the links is just the internal volume. And bad materials. In the 26RC-SS everything except the heating elements is made of Stainless Steel, the 'tandoors' have mild steel components, and a chrome plated grill.
Old 10th June 2014, 13:59   #1300
Team-BHP Support

A very simple cake.

Take a glass cup with approximately 200 ml capacity. This is going to be your standard measure.

1. Take around 50%-70% of sugar in that cup and grind it in a mixie.
2. Take 1.25 times of whole wheat flour.
3. 1 tsp of baking powder. Tip: test baking powder by putting a pinch of it on your tongue. If it does not sizzle..its old.

Mix these three dry ingredients. Its best if your sieve the flour and baking powder to ensure a uniform mix.

1. Beat three eggs.
2. Add sunflower oil. Approx 60% of the standard cup.
3. Add 3 drops of vanilla essence.
4. Whisk it really well.
5. Start adding the dry powders and keep whisking.
6. May need to add some water to get the consistency. Its should be like a nice custard.

Preheat oven.
Put your batter in a oiled baking dish. Bake for 30-40 mins at 160-180.

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-img_20140608_185953581.jpg
Old 10th June 2014, 14:55   #1301
Senior - BHPian

I've been trying to bake a simple coffee cake for a couple of times and both turned out less fluffy! The cake is not rising up as desired, there is still scope for improvement but I do not know how; what could be the reasons? My mom used to make super fluffy cakes in the old conventional oven, but she has not tried one yet with the microwave.
Old 10th June 2014, 15:22   #1302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I've been trying to bake a simple coffee cake for a couple of times and both turned out less fluffy! The cake is not rising up as desired, there is still scope for improvement but I do not know how; what could be the reasons? My mom used to make super fluffy cakes in the old conventional oven, but she has not tried one yet with the microwave.
1. Buy fresh baking powder. Check manufacturing date.
2. Sometimes if you beat the eggs too much...they go flat. Try and get this right.
3. Pray.
Old 10th June 2014, 15:31   #1303
BHPian

Goat Meat in Bangalore

Quote:
Go to your neighbourhood butcher / mutton shop, and ask for Meke Mamsa (maykay, not meek; sheep is kuri). He will either have it, or will get for you. Possibly you never asked, or they didn't understand you. You can also check with Auchan - they usually sell goat meat.

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP App
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Thanks for that.

Neighborhood shop only sells sheep. Will check at Auchan.

What about Johnson market?
Self Quote and a confirmation:

To get Goat Meat I have done two things:

1. Johnson Market and be specific about a Goat
2. Also available at Hypercity (has Goat Mutton written on its label)
Old 10th June 2014, 15:35   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
1. Buy fresh baking powder. Check manufacturing date.
2. Sometimes if you beat the eggs too much...they go flat. Try and get this right.
3. Pray.
* Baking powder was fresh.
* I did a thorough beating of everything. Will correct this.
* LOL. Apart, there should be something that goes wrong.

I used milk instead of water, butter instead of oil and maida flour instead of whole wheat flour. You used only 1 tsp baking powder! That was enough? And almost 1:2 ratio of sugar to flour, did it turn out very sweet?
Old 10th June 2014, 16:26   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
* Baking powder was fresh.
* I did a thorough beating of everything. Will correct this.
* LOL. Apart, there should be something that goes wrong. ...
2 possible reasons for failure:
- Your oven was not hot enough (temp control knob error, or not preheated for long enough, or door open for too long) or microwaves not heating the batter fast enough
- You had left the batter around for too long before putting into oven

Baking powder (a mix of soda bicarb and citric acid) starts releasing CO2 as soon as it hits water. Substituting water with milk is not such a good idea, as the fat molecules in milk will insulate some of the baking powder particles, reducing the reaction. Also, some of the citric acid will be neutralized with milk (calcium compounds). The longer one leaves the batter before baking, more the gas that escapes. And it is the CO2 that makes the cakes rise and become fluffy - same as the action of yeast eating sugars in flour in making bread.

If the oven temperature is too less, the top surface of the batter doesn't cook fast enough to make the top of the cake seal preventing the CO2 from escaping. If the surface sealing happens fast, the cake rises.

If liquid is less in the cake, the top surface cracks and CO2 escapes - and cake ultimately collapses after rising.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks