Team-BHP - The Regional movies thread!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Regional movies thread! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/56597-regional-movies-thread-54.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiren (Post 3784426)
I wanted to watch this movie Unfortunately they have not released this movie in Mumbai/Pune . :(

That is kind of surprising seeing how well it is doing abroad. Have they not released it at all or did it come and go already? If it is the former, I'm sure it'd be released soon.

Loham-Malayalam- A very confusing film

There was huge hype and build up to the release. Ranjith-Lalettan combo, Lalettan looking the best he has been in the recent past, a pretty good teaser and trailer and a theme that is very much relevant today (gold smuggling).

Unfortunately after a decent start, it all went downhill. I have never seen a movie with so many characters with little or no relevance to the plot. Most of the movie seemed to be a sequence of guest appearances (So many known names appearing as insignificant characters and at most for a scene or two). And by the middle of the 2nd half, I pretty much lost track of who is what and what exactly is happening.

The most impacted by all this was Lal himself. When you go to see a Mohanlal entertainer- Especially the kind promised in the trailer, you expect to see a lot of him. Unfortunately due to the huge amount of characters, his screen space seemed limited- especially in the 2nd half. A pity, since he seemed to be in top form. Great job done with whatever material he has at his disposal.

Siddique shines with his performance and one liners. Andrea does a good job in the limited role she has.

Overall, would have been acceptable watch from a new/lesser known writer/director. But from Ranjith- who has given us several gems in the past, it was quite difficult to digest.

Watched LOHAM yesterday. I like it, even my wify too.

Yes Laettan's screen presence was much less due to the n number of characters, but then whenever he was on the screen he was dazzling.

Now wait starts for KANAL & PULIMURUGAN:D

Cheers!

Vinu

Watched Loham yesterday at Q Cinemas. Liked it. The first half was good. The second half not good. I did not understand the reason why so many characters were brought in. If you do not try to solve the puzzle and just enjoy the movie, it is quite enjoyable. The movie seems to be a super hit already. The Q cinemas hall was packed. Not even a single seat was vacant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltoLXI (Post 3767452)
Watched the film last weekend in Fun cinemas. I was surprised when I tried booking in other multiplexes only to find all were booked to capacity.

Forget Bangalore, I didn't get tickets on last weekend here at Boston. Managed to get a ticket on a weekday. Very good movie by the new team :thumbs up

Rangitaranga: Am i the only person who feels this movie is way too much hype. Sorry but i watched a couple of Malyalam movies recently which set my standards on acting and story and i just felt this was lacking in the movie. Let me say my issues before i get blasted.

First half starts great. Story pace is good.
Actor: Decent job but could have been way better.
Actress(wife): Tries hard to play a cute role but doesnt fit in.
Actress 2: Does a decent role

My issues: Second half has 2 songs in like 5 minute intervals. Story is simply twisted to get a connection between folks. There didnt have to be couple of those twists as you are left wandering was it just made to say "Wow, what twist."
The main actors relationship was kind of weird from the get go and towards the end i was left with a shock with "Did that just happen?".

The thriller part was nice but leaves a couple of stuff unanswered. How did half the stuff shown in it happens?

The villains play a good role in this movie and that was a good break, but this movie sticks to making fun of the accent of folks in mangalore which can get a bit exaggerated.

2.5/5 Improve the effort and you can get better movies.

Coming to malyalam movies, god am i surprised! Been watching a couple and i am amazed! The following were what i watched and recommend.
Bangalore Days
ABCD
Neram
Mumbai Police
Ayalum Njanum Thammil
Drishyam - Mohanlal was fabulous!

Could someone provide more recommendations please on malyalam movies?

Maddy

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddy42 (Post 3786429)

Coming to malyalam movies, god am i surprised! Been watching a couple and i am amazed! The following were what i watched and recommend.
Bangalore Days
ABCD
Neram
Mumbai Police
Ayalum Njanum Thammil
Drishyam - Mohanlal was fabulous!

Could someone provide more recommendations please on malyalam movies?

Maddy

That could end up being a long list. :) . If you scroll back a few pages, there are several good recommendations.

Few of my personal ones (All from 2013-2015):

If you liked Mumbai Police, you should like the following thrillers/semi thrillers

Memories
7th Day
Ivide
Traffic (Slightly older one)
Passenger (Slightly older one)

Feel good films like Bangalore Days

Ustad Hotel
Om Shanti Oshana
Vikramadityan
Oru Vadakkan Selfie

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddy42 (Post 3786429)

Maddy

Few from my side

-Apothecary
-Munnariyippu
-Thira
-Shutter
-North 24 Katham
-Memories
-7th Day
-Varsham
-Usthad Hotel

For cinemotography
- Iyyobinte Pusthakam

Few decent - feel good movies

-Om Shanthi Oshana
-Premam
-Oru Vadakkan Selfie
-Punyalan Agarbathis

Good female lead performance
-Mili
-Artist
-How Old Are You
-22 Female Kottayam

For child artists performance
-Philips and the Monkey Pen
-101 Chodyangal

If you liked Drishyam - you should watch same director's debut movie - Detective (released in 2007) - it was a flop movie, but pretty good.

Watched kannada movie UPPI2 (Christened as Upendra 2 in telugu)

This much anticipated sequel comes after 15 years, while the first part dealt with self (naanu), this one deals with yourself (neenu)

After a harrowing selfish life, the protagonist naanu (Upendra) has now become a monk in Himalayas, and later returned to his grassroots to become a selfless man in service of other people in his village, the other people are now taking disadvantage of him.

Lakshmi, a psychology student goes in search for him, to figure out neenu's ways of life.

Mandakini, wife of a billionaire has left a verbally tricky will to his daughter, with condition that she has to marry neenu

Saleem, the Dubai don is behind mandakini's property, employs all methods in the book to grab the property for himself.

Find out what happens by following their journey, riding through some twists and turns, weaving the past (naanu), present (neenu) and future (unknown) clap:

Finally Rangitaranga is getting released in other cities :).

Kunjiramayanam (Malayalam) - This was one of the most awaited movie among the Onam releases. Debutant director Basil Joseph, who had directed some notable short films, has taken a simple story and presented it well. Vineeth, Dhyan, Aju, Srinda and all other actors have done justice to their roles. The main heroine who appears in the climax scene felt like a miscast. Songs syncs with the overall mood of the film. Cinematography was good. It’s a simple, feel good movie.
My Rating- 7/10

Thani Oruvan (Tamil) – This is Director M.Raja’s 1st original movie (All his previous movies are remakes) in his career and he has made sure that it’s his best till date. The protagonist being a cop, movie is an action thriller. It’s basically a cat and mouse game between the hero and villain. The performance of the villain, Arvind Swamy, is the main USP of the movie. He commands a screen presence which can be matched only by Ajith. Jayam Ravi has played his part well. Heroine Nayantara surprisingly gets a well written role rather than just appearing in songs. Cinematography is impressive. It’s an engaging thriller with all essential commercial ingredients. Recommended.
My Rating- 8/10

Thani Oruvan (Tamil), Rangitaranga (Kannada) and Bahubali (Telugu).

All three movies made for an entertaining watch and definitely recommended. Thani Oruvan was the biggest surprise though and the pick of the lot.

Thani Oruvan - Watch it just for Arvind Swamy. This guy is beyond fabulous!

Yeah my friend was insisting I check out Thani Oruvan. Booked tickets for tomorrow.

Vikramadithyan - 6/10
Well, an ok ok movie I would say. Usual masala and stuff.

Natholi Oru Cheriya Meenalla - 7/10
Found this more interesting. Some interesting elements in the movie - like the characters from a book coming to real life etc.

Caught Thani Oruvan on Saturday. I don't follow the language much but I think I understood most of what I was seeing on the screen. Wish there were subtitles (Cinepolis, Bangalore)