Team-BHP - The Regional movies thread!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Regional movies thread! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/56597-regional-movies-thread-45.html)

Varsham (Malayalam):

An average movie, although socially relevant- but not up to the hype created. Rather confused thought process and story telling IMO, but the lead pair combination of Mamooty and Asha Sharath really manages to pull it off.

A one time watch.

Ormayundo ee mugham [Malayalam]

Anvar Saadik's first attempt at a rom-com. Unfortunately nothing stood out from it. A borrowed story line, no genuinely funny scenes, extremely predictable story line and very mediocre acting by Vineet Srinivasan. Overall a movie that can be avoided. I was pretty bored watching it.

Rating: 1.5/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by barathvajan (Post 3150570)
Soodhu Kavvum - One word Awesome
Rating - 4 / 5

Any other good movies?

Did anyone watch 'Iyobinte Pusthakam'? I really want to go for that and a one word review will do. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 3582776)
Did anyone watch 'Iyobinte Pusthakam'? I really want to go for that and a one word review will do. :)

Heard from my friend in native the movie is worth a watch if you don't complain about movie with slow pace, it is a typical Amal Neerad film with a brilliant portray of old times. Also he had specially mention that Jayasuriya's performance was outstanding / mature. This movie is on my list to watch and I wish theaters in Bangalore will be playing it until my return on end of this month.
Let me know your view if you have a chance to watch it this weekend.
Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 3582776)

Watched it and liked it. It is easily one of the best Malayalam films of 2014.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 3582746)
Any other good movies?

Hoping you are asking for Tamil movies, here you go:

Jigarthanda
Pannaiyarum Padminiyum
Vaayai Moodi Pesavum
Thegidi

Another recommended movie to me was 'Kadhai Thiraikadhai Vasanam Iyakkam' which I haven't seen yet.

Telugu - Chandamama Kathalu is actually good. Missed it due to bad reviews. Now available on Youtube officially. Catch it if you can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayans80 (Post 3583222)
Hoping you are asking for Tamil movies, here you go:

Jigarthanda
Pannaiyarum Padminiyum
Vaayai Moodi Pesavum
Thegidi

Another recommended movie to me was 'Kadhai Thiraikadhai Vasanam Iyakkam' which I haven't seen yet.

Jigarthanda and Vaayai Moodi Pesavum? seriously?!
i would suggest to skip these two including "Kadhai Thiraikadhai..."; and rather add "Sathuranga Vettai", "Madras", "Poovarasam Peepee" and "Goli Soda".

Slightly going OT.

Rajnikant's latest offering "Linga" is insured for a whopping 200 crore rupees:Shockked:. This includes the production cost and loss of revenue in India and overseas.

Details in the link below:
http://www.business-standard.com/art...0600213_1.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anand123 (Post 3562455)
Kaththi - Samantha looks cute and just serves as an eye candy as in every hero oriented mass
Overall, Kaththi is a well made entertainer with a good social message.

My Rating- 7/10

She had no role in the entire script.. IMO they could've done away with such a character and kept the play focused on the story. Did you notice.. she dint have a dialogue to utter in most of the scenes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 3600371)
Slightly going OT.

Rajnikant's latest offering "Linga" is insured for a whopping 200 crore rupees:Shockked:. This includes the production cost and loss of revenue in India and overseas.

Details in the link below:
http://www.business-standard.com/art...0600213_1.html

Saw Linga, with not much expectations other than it being a Rajnikant movie. But was still disappointed.

One- It felt like Rajnikant's take on the Vijay starrer- Kathi. Lot of similarities. I guess it is just a co-incidence like the new Honda City and Suzuki Ciaz, but I felt bored with the storyline.

Two- The climax was extreme. The stunts, the action everything seemed to be made with the intention of proving all the Rajnikant jokes right. The graphics work were not upto the mark either, for such a big budget release.

Not a bad watch for a Rajni fan, but others will not like it much. Some of his other recent movies like Endiran, Shivaji etc were far better as entertainers.

Oka Laila Kosam (Telugu) - Watched it with zero expectations and kinda liked it. Its an above average movie with some good moments here and there. A watchable movie.
My Rating- 6.5/10

Bachchan (Kannada) - Had loved Sudeep's performance in telugu movie Eaga and decided to watch one of his kannada movies. Sigh! It's basically a revenge drama narrated in an abnormal way. The so called 'mass scenes' are so cliched and boring. Didn't like it at all.
My Rating- 4/10

Cousins (Malayalam) - If you've seen any of the director's prev movies (other than Vishudhan), you'll have an idea on what to expect. A silly story line, one liners in almost every scenes (most of them doesn't fails to evolve laughs), colorful visuals, especially the songs. Heard that a whopping 1 Crore was spent for a single song! Overall, its a below average flick. Watch it for timepass.
My Rating- 6/10

Rabhasa (Telugu) - Another mass masala flick from Jr. NTR with the same old story line and most of the scenes would give you a deja vu feel. Watch it only if you liked the hero or any of his previous films.
My Rating- 5/10

Lingaa (Tamil) - It's a watchable movie for die hard Rajini fans. Others give it a miss. Climax is such a torture.
My Rating- 6/10

Seconds (Malayalam) - Seconds is an average movie, at best. It starts with the murder of 3 strangers in a lift and a girl getting arrested for the crime. The rest of the first half is dedicated for the character establishment of the four of them. This part would literally test your patience and performance of Vinayakan is the only saving grace. Second half deals with the murder mystery and what's supposed to be a thriller is narrated in a lousy manner. Even the villain, the main suspense element, didn't make the desired impact.
The basic plot of the movie was interesting and in the hands of some able director, this could have been a watchable flick.
My Rating- 5/10. Watch it at your own risk!!

Angels (Malayalam) - Angels is a decent thriller. It's about the hunt for a serial killer with the backdrop of a tv show. Indrajith has done his role in his usual style and Asha Sarath was good as thr tv show host. It's Joy Mathew who gets most of the screen space and he excels as the arrogant preist. Cinematography and Editing is notable. Jakes Bejoy's music was superb. Script is strictly average but debutant director Jean Markose has managed to present it in a decent way.
My Rating- 6.5/10. Worth a watch.

Watched "I" again today, with my family this time. While I was totally disappointed on the first occasion, I was bowled over today.

I don't know if it is the too much expectation or the normal storyline or the dumb Inox theater experience that spoiled the experience on first occasion.

But today, like Rahman's music, it just grew on me and gave an altogether different experience.

The movie is a visual spectacle on screen, efforts of thousands of finest of finest technicians having worked for 3 years, packed for 3 hours.

I realized, it indeed takes more than one watch to grasp the enormity of work that had gone in.

Take a bow Shankar sir, you are a master story teller as always. Don't know if we would see another director who can bring in such depth of grandeur with substance in film making. Your works need more than just a pair of eyes.

While a lot of us talk about watching movies like Interstellar twice or thrice to understand what is being told as story.

Films like "I" needs to be watched multiple times to understand and learn the art of cinematography, stunt choreography, costume Designing, etc, etc.

And, how can I miss talking about Vikram. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of his, for I believe acting is more than just donning different getups and altering weight in extremes.

But in this film, he is just impeccable as an actor, both in performance and in getting under the skin of the role. Shirts off to Vikram, literally!!

I think Rahman is like some God's music agent to people, he just comes in and gives God's music and goes home. Ennodu Nee Irunthaal, both the visual and the song is Rahman and Shankar going creatively wild. A spectacle, a spectacle of the highest order!!

And, P.C. Sreeram sir's work will go into the encyclopedia of Cinematography. Nothing more to say!

Watch "I" in theaters, in good theaters. Watching "I" in a normal theater will be like watching a Mercedes Roadster all covered with dirt and cobweb.

Mersalaytan ba!!!

Totally agree with CliffHanger on "I". Very good production quality and superb acting from Vikram.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliffHanger (Post 3627789)
Watched "I" again today, with my family this time. While I was totally disappointed on the first occasion, I was bowled over today.