Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 21:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I never order a cold drink when i get something better for a little extra, if you know what i mean
Gotcha--we are all wise men now!
Old 16th May 2009, 14:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I hope you now see the reason. My solution? I never order these from such places. Last week I ordered bulk quantities of Pizzas from Pizza Hut (corporate order). And yet I refused to order the coke from them as they wanted 30 bucks on that 22 buck bottle. Instead I placed the order with our canteen guy who happily supplied me at 22 bucks each bottle. For me that meant a saving of 640 bucks.
Zappo, Pizza Hut charges only MRP on Pepsi and Pepsico bottles and cans. This is also common to KFC, and Taco Bell internationally. This is because they are owned by Pepsico. If you look carefully while ordering at KFC, your regular Pepsi from the machine -- which is crap BTW -- costs around 30 bucks, while refrigerated 600 ml Pepsi, costs only 20 bucks, which is the MRP. But they will refuse to sell you the bottled/canned product if you are dining in. These are only for delivery or takeaway.

Jeez, I really do spend too much time at KFC.
Old 16th May 2009, 16:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
they will refuse to sell you the bottled/canned product if you are dining in. These are only for delivery or takeaway.
Makes sense. While dining in, customer is using services and other facilities.

Most other cases, it makes sense to dial friendly neighbourhood store to supply cold drinks to doorstep.
Old 9th February 2011, 11:25   #34
BHPian

Re: Soft Drinks, no extra service but extra charge.

Saw below news artcile,in the consumer complaints section of Deccan Herald ,2 days ago.
Its pure cheating and fraud by Pepsico.

Old 9th February 2011, 12:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

This very common in the bakeries, they charge about 1buck if you get the bottle from the fridge but note most of the time its hardly chilled hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
This is especially true in summers. It is almost like they want us to pay for their electricity bills
Old 9th February 2011, 12:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

PVR sells 750 ML Aquafina for 20 bucks.
INOX sells 500 ML Kinley for 20 bucks.
(Both are at MRP)

Pepsico and Coca Cola are hand-in-glove with these theaters to fleece customers. Because, outside these walls, you get a litre for 15 INR.

And these bottles carry a note 'Specially packed for Institutions'.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:20   #37
BHPian

One of my friend who is running a restaurant told me few years back that he gets 6 Rs per bottle,as profit for a 12 Rs priced packaged water.

I'm sure big chains like KFC ,reliance and others may be getting these bottles for 3 or 4 Rs per bottle.

We ,aam junta, always make noise when price of milk is increased by 50 paise,but we all feel its real "cool n happening" to drink water in pet bottles for higher price.
:sigh:
Old 9th February 2011, 13:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

The law states that anything that has been packaged in a defined standard pack shall not be charged above the MRP printed. You can approach the consumer forum in case it is charged more than the MRP. However the pricing can be discretionary if the contents are removed form the standard packaging and given to you in a non standard pack. For eg. if the vendor was to remove the cold drink form your PET Bottle and pour it into your tumbler ha can charge anything for it, but as long as the bottle is retailed to you its price cannot exceed the MRP printed. Complain and you shall be given justice. I have done it on numerous occasions when the vendor has charged me more than the printed MRP at Bus stands, Airports, Rly Stns etc. Everytime I ahve got an apology and the difference in amount. Heck even at my daughters school fete the chaps were selling these PET bottles @ INR 40/-. I complained tot he fete organsier and threatened to call the police. They paid back the difference and even others who were there then had to be charged the MRP printed.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

A can of coke outside lifestyle in Victoria layout is 50 bucks and a one liter bottle of Aquafina costs almost 35 bucks or so. Have tried reasoning with them and they say that's the price.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
A can of coke outside lifestyle in Victoria layout is 50 bucks and a one liter bottle of Aquafina costs almost 35 bucks or so. Have tried reasoning with them and they say that's the price.
Well, one thing we can start resorting to is, take the bottle from the shopkeeper, have a sip, and then pay him the MRP. If he tries objecting, show him the MRP, and tell him that he can keep the bottle if he wants to sell at rates above the MRP. This is exactly what I intend to do next time!

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 9th February 2011 at 13:32.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

I remember that there was a crack down on hotel/ restaurants ( I think Last year) where if you were serving things above MRP and there was no added service involved then they will book you for violation of some law.

The hotel staff is directed to open the bottle, serve in a glass, provide a straw etc etc in case of serving soft drinks/ water but they dont do it for whatever reason.

In case of cigarettes they suppose to open the packet, pull out a few fags and serve it on a plate with a match box, and then they can charge extra

I also remember that after this ITC started to sell its cigarettes on MRP at its hotels after this happened.

Basically I think if there is no added service involved a vendor can not sell things above MRP
Old 9th February 2011, 13:54   #42
BHPian

All of us must have paid government officials thousands of rupees till today for doing what they are paid to do or their "duty". So paying a rupee or two extra to the nikkar shopwalla / kirana store should not be an issue. :-)
Old 10th February 2011, 09:15   #43
BHPian

does each district in India have a "weights and measures" buerau or office? If so, they should be in charge of this kind of stuff.
Old 10th February 2011, 10:29   #44
BHPian

While we are on travel and in a rural area. They charge Rs. 5 extra for cooling it..! While their fridges are sponsored by the companies! and these things are now common practices taking place. No one is ready to do anything.

They think that only one cannot change it. So they either dont mind paying or they just dont buy!

GOD! Save India!

Thanks
Old 10th February 2011, 10:45   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
GOD! Save India!
In the US, there is no concept of MRP. Anyone can charge anything for anything. They do manage to survive in spite of that, so I assume we will also survive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks