Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2011, 11:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Soft Drinks, no extra service but extra charge.

The US example really can't be used here, because they have great anti-trust/compeitition law regime. What that entails is that if there is a cartel which raises prices everywhere such that there is no free choice, then it has to be stopped. In theory we have a similar legal regime as well but its really not translated into practice, or its impractical fight it in courts. So for that reason we need strict legal safeguards for consumers.

Last edited by manolin : 10th February 2011 at 11:59.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:09   #47
Team-BHP Support

Also be aware, that in the US the courts system is very much skewed towards the consumer. In India, if you find a fly in your soft drink, you will be compensated probably a 1000rs, which is what, 100 times the cost of the soft drink.
In the west the damages awarded can be a million times the cost of the item. Here after being sold a used 50 lakh car as new, courts award a puny 2L in damages.
So abuse of monopoly and hoarding, while illegal is very easy to get away with. It is more profitable to lose in court and pay off a few lakhs, than to do things the right way.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:47   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
The US example really can't be used here, because they have great anti-trust/compeitition law regime. What that entails is that if there is a cartel which raises prices everywhere such that there is no free choice, then it has to be stopped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Also be aware, that in the US the courts system is very much skewed towards the consumer. In India, if you find a fly in your soft drink, you will be compensated probably a 1000rs, which is what, 100 times the cost of the soft drink.
In the west the damages awarded can be a million times the cost of the item. Here after being sold a used 50 lakh car as new, courts award a puny 2L in damages.
So abuse of monopoly and hoarding, while illegal is very easy to get away with. It is more profitable to lose in court and pay off a few lakhs, than to do things the right way.
I agree fully with what both of you say, but I fail to understand how it is relevant at all to a shopkeeper selling a bottle of pop or water for whatever prices he choses to.

The shopkeeper is neither a cartel nor is he a monopoly nor is he hoarding.
Also I don't think we are discussing selling a bad bottle of soda or water above MRP but a good one.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:50   #49
Team-BHP Support

No what we are saying, if there was no MRP, it would be much easier for shopkeepers to sell a bottle of water for 100rs at places where they know they can be the only source.
In a town where there is only one wholesale dealer, he has a monopoly and he can decide to price everything at whatever rates he chooses.
MRP is a big detterent, even then, some cheating goes on, imagine the circus without MRP
Old 10th February 2011, 13:29   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No what we are saying, if there was no MRP, it would be much easier for shopkeepers to sell a bottle of water for 100rs at places where they know they can be the only source.
In a town where there is only one wholesale dealer, he has a monopoly and he can decide to price everything at whatever rates he chooses.
What do you think the US antitrust laws will do about the above?
The above is not an abuse of the US antitrust laws at all.
Also a monopoly isn't illegal in the US either.

Last edited by carboy : 10th February 2011 at 13:31.
Old 10th February 2011, 13:51   #51
BHPian

I would not be so concerned with the 50 paise or the Re 1/- that a local shopkeeper charges because the amount is minimal and there might actually be a case for him i.e. he might actually be trying to cover the additional electricity cost (at commercial rates?) especially in the summer.

I am more concerned about paying Rs 50/- at Subway and such eateries and cinemas where the fleecing is clear and evident. There have no justification to charge extra. I know that there are a lot of overheads but they would not be in business if they weren't already turning a profit from their mainstream business.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:19   #52
BHPian

The duties/taxes (ED, VAT etc) are paid by the manufacturer on MRP. If any one sells above the MRP, the relevant taxes on the excess amount are deemed to have been evaded and hence action can be taken on the erring shop keeper by the central excise or VAT officials. So selling above MRP is illegal.

In case of non packaged foods like pizzas etc, there is no MRP and the shop pays tax on the sale price if applicable and hence they can sell at any price.

Similarly if a manufacturer marks two different MRPs for the same product, as long as he pays the taxes on the marked MRP, they are within the laws. They may be charged by consumer courts for deficiency of service if the same or similar shops sell both.

Another big racket I have seen this that none of the food courts in the malls have drinking water. You have to necessarily buy bottled water. Hope some one files a PIL on this.

Some time back IRCTC lost a case when they didn't provide water with curd rice from the pantry car.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:20   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydras View Post

I know that there are a lot of overheads but they would not be in business if they weren't already turning a profit from their mainstream business.
Not relevant to the thread, but just wanted to mention that in the US, it's the pop (coke, pepsi etc) & the fries which makes the money for McDonalds. They sell their burger at a loss or a minimal profit typically. Of course, this isn't bottled pop, but one which comes through the machine.

Getting back to the point of the thread, there is always a loophole around MRP.
It's widely used in stuff like some electronic stuff, electrical parts, hardware etc. The manufacture prints a very high price as the MRP.
Then shop keepers have a wide discretion of what kind of discount they should give & effectively everyone gets to sell it at whatever price they feel they want to sell it at.

For eg. Bisleri will put the MRP as Rs. 30 on their bottle. Your grocer will give you 50% discount & sell it at Rs.30. Subway will charge full MRP.

Last edited by carboy : 10th February 2011 at 14:27.
Old 10th February 2011, 17:10   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Another big racket I have seen this that none of the food courts in the malls have drinking water. You have to necessarily buy bottled water. Hope some one files a PIL on this.
So what law are they breaking by not having water which can resolved by filing a PIL?
Old 10th February 2011, 21:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand in US, Taco bell (and I think subway, chipotle and others too) have started offering free water from the same fountain where you get cold drinks.

I guess it all boils down to market forces.
Old 10th February 2011, 21:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Forum Mall in Bangalore has it. One of BBMP requirement for hotels in Bangalore is to provide safe drinking water.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
All of us must have paid government officials thousands of rupees till today for doing what they are paid to do or their "duty". So paying a rupee or two extra to the nikkar shopwalla / kirana store should not be an issue. :-)
Friend,
This attitude of ours is what infact spoiling our country. If we hang on to this attitude, we will keep blaming system after 100 years or 200 years of independence also.

Just because we did some mistake in past,we don't have to shut our eyes against all malpractices.
Old 18th February 2011, 21:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
On the other hand in US, Taco bell (and I think subway, chipotle and others too) have started offering free water from the same fountain where you get cold drinks.

I guess it all boils down to market forces.

Since when have they "started" this unheard of favor?! Free water has always been available at all restaurants that I've ever been to, whether from pop dispensers, or otherwise.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:03   #59
BHPian

I think its wrong, MSRP is MSRP. RRP (Here in Aus, that is different) Be glad you only got 100% markup, i took a friend of mine to dinner at not so flash hotel in Chennai. She ordered a redbull (I had previously paid 75rs for a can so this is what i was expecting) got the bill after the meal. 500rs.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks