Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 18:36   #1
BHPian

Bad experience with Rediff Shopping

I have never trusted rediff shopping for any item worth >500. I have always felt that sellers on rediff are nothing but peddlers of cheap stuff.

But this time, it is not the seller, but the manipulation by Rediff that has got me really angry. I had purchased a toolkit and a footpump for my car. Both items were sub-standard. The toolkit was missing a tweezer and the screw-driver stub was so cheap, it would break if it fell on the ground!

The foot-pump had markings of 20, 40 and 60psi only! And the pump was so small, you can not operate it with your foot at all. I doubt it will inflate balloons, let alone a car tyre.

Anyways, I did not feel like returning the goods because that would mean a long wait for replacement which is not worth it. I gave an 'Unsatisfactory' rating and put the comments against the seller. This seller is a bigshot at rediff with over 1 lac items sold.

I did not get any callback from seller or rediff. Now comes the ugly part. The rating has been changed to 'Satisfactory' and the comments have been erased out. On complaining, rediff is not coming clean on how this happened. I am sure that sellers are actively conniving with rediff to change ratings, so that they look more trustworthy.

If anyone here has had such an experience, please share. I am planning to collect as many responses as possible and get rediff to seriously do something about this scam.
Old 4th June 2009, 19:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

The sellers at Rediff look very dubious, so I avoid them.

And if someone is altering the Rating & comments, the website itself is under question mark!
Old 4th June 2009, 20:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sounds really scary! Placed an order with them for a book last week. Yet to recieve it... estimated delivery time is about 45 days (apparently the book is sourced from USA). Has anybody bought books from them?

I was going to place a couple more orders... but now I'm gonna rethink...
Old 5th June 2009, 00:36   #4
BHPian

@abdriver2000: You should post the name of the seller here. At least other prospective customers will know who to avoid when shopping at rediff.
Old 5th June 2009, 01:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

^^^ It is not just the individual seller in question here... but the integrity of Rediff itself (if the story is true)!!!
Old 5th June 2009, 06:49   #6
BHPian

The products on Rediff shopping are always substandard. I had ordered a sauna belt from Rediff shopping and guess what, the belt melted in 20 min after we switched it on. Since then I have decided never to buy from Rediff.
Old 5th June 2009, 10:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
I had purchased a toolkit and a footpump for my car. .
Is it the same items worth rs 350 on rediff.
1/2 months back, i had seen this ad on rediff and planned the purchase but could not complete the transaction due to net problem. I got reminder mails from rediff but not bothered to purchase the tool kit and pump.
Its sad to learn that rediff is doing cheap practice with such cheap items.
Old 5th June 2009, 10:26   #8
BHPian

AshishPallod: You are right. This item is sold by Ojjas Enterprises. They sell other gimmicks like childrens laptops, swiss knives etc. This seller has more than 1 lac items sold to his credit but you can not see a single negative comment in the list although he has more then 5000 negative ratings. I am sure he has found a way to block negative comments.

Rediff Customer service is really acting funny. Although I had posted the comment on the day I received the parcel, they are now claiming I did not do so and the auto-comment got posted. How can they auto-comment everything as positive? That too without getting in touch with the customer?

Also this cannot be true, because I have posted comments for articles which have been bought over 1 year ago.

Last edited by abdriver2000 : 5th June 2009 at 10:28.
Old 5th June 2009, 10:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Sounds really scary! Placed an order with them for a book last week. Yet to recieve it... estimated delivery time is about 45 days (apparently the book is sourced from USA). Has anybody bought books from them?

I was going to place a couple more orders... but now I'm gonna rethink...
I recently bought some books from rediff and it all depends on the seller. For one of the books in the order, Rediff sent the request to two sellers - landmark and apeejay. The delivery of the book got delayed by almost three weeks as non of the sellers took any action not knowing who should actually take action. The representative from apeejay wrote several mails to rediff to clarify but they never responded. I had to actually request apeejay to send me the book with a condition: in case rediff doesn't pay, I will pay them.

Avoid rediff for all kind of shopping if you can. I always had bad experience with them. Manipulating with ratings is the worst thing you can do. You are not only promoting sub standard products but also lies about them.
Old 5th June 2009, 14:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

My seller is Landmark. Scary to read about all this. I guess I wont place any more orders with them. Does anyone know any other reliable site for buying books online?
Old 5th June 2009, 14:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Have used bookcurry.com - New & used textbooks, biographies, children's books, science fiction, cookbooks & more in past. Good experience so far.
Old 5th June 2009, 14:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Rediff online experience in the first place sucks. And, as most of you said, many items are overpriced and their graphical look seems quite cheap quality. And, their delivery times are ludicrous most of the times.

Ebay India, is the best place to shop online and like in any online transaction buy only from good rated sellers. In fact, i start a dialogue with seller before making the actual purchase, that i have noticed adds a personal touch and faster attention to delivery of the item.
Old 5th June 2009, 14:57   #13
BHPian

Ojjas seems to be a powerseller on rediff... I've come very close to ordering something from them but have never transacted with them... If What you are saying is true then we all should be really scared of this seller... When something like this happens - then it really shakes the confidence and trust you have on the site... I'd be more than comfortable transacting on ebay - for the reason that ebay has a far more fool proof feedback mechanism and I know no matter how big the seller be - I'd be given a fair hearing...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th June 2009 at 16:00. Reason: see note in post
Old 5th June 2009, 15:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Thanks, will check it out.
Old 5th June 2009, 15:50   #15
BHPian

I bought 2 items through Rediff shopping about 2 months back. I opted for Cash On Delivery as mode of payment, and the total value of both items was roughly Rs 1350/-.

Both items work perfectly, albeit the quality of one was poor (then again I did open it up to see how it worked, and broke it in the process)

Delivery was on time for one item, but delayed for the other. A decent experience with an online seller. However I do feel that for really cheap items, you're better off procuring it from a local market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks