Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2019, 14:03   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I see that there are very few tennis lovers in this forum and I being a die-hard tennis fan since Becker/Graf days, wanted to share my thoughts on yesterday's match. And I am happy to see your message
Coming to yesterday's match, I really felt bad and I still cannot believe that Fed could not convert those two match points. I admire Djoko for his overall skills, but being a die-hard Fed's fan, it was extremely difficult day for me yesterday. AFter his defeat, I could not get sleep till 3.30 :(
Same here. Sampras vs Agassi was stuff for ages and now Federer vs Nadal invokes same emotion. I was supporting Federer as usual, he didn't win, was supporting NZ and they couldn't get the trophy either. Still, imo both matches were the best I have seen in a very long time. No one deserved to lose on either side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I don't know why these new age "SMART" TVs can't give PIP option. Yesterday was so difficult trying to follow both amazing matches. My phone Whatsapp was going crazy with discussions about both the matches in different groups, so didn't use that to watch. At 8-7, when Federer broke Djokovic's serve, I thought it's done and dusted. But it went to 12-12!!!
It was a day of ties everywhere.
Exactly the same thought I was having. Couldn't watch on mobile cos of messages and Reddit discussions. So, resorted to watching Tennis on laptop. 8-7 was the magic moment. Federer had 2 championship points. He will forever regret missing out on that game. Knew then and there it may well not be his day. But, a legendary match by all counts.

On a separate note, without World cup and no Wimbledon its gonna be tough what to watch in the evenings. Seems, back to Netflix it is
Old 15th July 2019, 14:03   #182
BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

Quote:
At 8-7, when Federer broke Djokovic's serve, I thought it's done and dusted. But it went to 12-12!!!
This is the third time he has lost a match against Djoko having match points in GS, previous two occasions in US open semis. And this is the first time, since 1948, a player has lost the final in Wimbledon after having match points. So, it is all the more painful for me to accept this defeat :(

Note: I hope the moderator will not penalise me for discussing tennis in this thread!
Old 3rd February 2020, 16:14   #183
BHPian

Re: The Tennis Thread

#17. Should spark the GOAT debate again. Depending on how the season goes, could end up with a 20-20-19 score on that...

Nole wins the debate in my opinion, but we all know what is said about opinions...
Old 28th July 2020, 20:01   #184
Senior - BHPian

Watched this video today, on how Agassi got better of Becker

msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 23:25   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Watched this video today, on how Agassi got better of Becker

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ja6HeLB3kwY
Oh yeah, this is genius Agassi also mentioned this in his autobiography Open
Old 7th September 2020, 06:32   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Novak Djokovic has been disqualified from the US Open 2020 for his behavior on court!

Link

The Tennis Thread-screenshot_20200907063816.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 7th September 2020 at 07:02.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 07:22   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Novak Djokovic has been disqualified from the US Open 2020 for his behavior on court!
Was shocked to read this news today morning. Sad for the tournament. Could he have been just fined? Is his decision to lead PTPA had a bearing on the decision? These questions came to my mind immediately. After I watched the video too, it still sounded harsh, but that is probably because it is Novak Djokovic and not some lesser known names.I feel the right decision was made in the end.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 08:33   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Quote:
I feel the right decision was made in the end.
Wow! The bad times just don't seem to stop for Djoko. First, all the furore (completely justified) over the mess up on the tennis league he organized, then the players' union he floated that has met with more criticism than enthusiasm and now this.

I'm divided on how justified/not this disqualification is. He clearly didn't intend to hit it towards someone and expressed immediate regret at having hit her.

All said and done, Djoko remains the rare player who's achieved all there is to achieve, except the unconditinal love and respect of tennis fans.
Old 7th September 2020, 09:16   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Wow! The bad times just don't seem to stop for Djoko. First, all the furore (completely justified) over the mess up on the tennis league he organized, then the players' union he floated that has met with more criticism than enthusiasm and now this.

I'm divided on how justified/not this disqualification is. He clearly didn't intend to hit it towards someone and expressed immediate regret at having hit her.
Usually, players give the ball back to the ball boys/girls after the point. In this case, it was misdirected. I think a native English speaking player (US or UK) would have got off with a warning or with just a simple apology & laugh. Possibly since they can explain better and also the accent. Filmiest reason but harsh punishment.

Last edited by msdivy : 7th September 2020 at 09:22.
Old 7th September 2020, 09:21   #190
BHPian

This has always been a rule. Anytime a player has physically injured an official, it is a clear cut disqualification. Last example was Shapovalov in the 2017 Davis Cup. Sure none of the players intend to hit anyone, but we cannot deny the fact that it is dangerous and can have dire consequences. Attaching some examples of disqualifications on similar grounds.

Last edited by rahulcmoulee : 7th September 2020 at 09:44.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:13   #191
Team-BHP Support

He'd hit another one to the side just a little while before the incident (could've easily hit a ball kid), and should ideally have been officially warned then and there.

He wasn't unsighted and wasn't gently hitting it to a ball kid behind the service line (as most players do when choosing balls).

He's one of the greats of the game and needs to be better aware of his surroundings.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:50   #192
BHPian

Four-year-old video comes back to haunt Novak Djokovic after US Open incident.
4 years ago, in a post match press conference, a report did ask Djokovik the question that does it concern him that his display of frustration on ground could lead to an accident and could get him suspended, Djokovik brushed off the question without any proper answer.
This certainly will haunt him for sometime now.

More details here :- https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/fo...rama-c-1296332
Old 7th September 2020, 13:55   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
This has always been a rule. Anytime a player has physically injured an official, it is a clear cut disqualification. Last example was Shapovalov in the 2017 Davis Cup. Sure none of the players intend to hit anyone, but we cannot deny the fact that it is dangerous and can have dire consequences. Attaching some examples of disqualifications on similar grounds.
I am following tennis since more than 3 decades now and I was not aware of this rule! So, when I first read the news, I was surprised. But later I realized that there is a clear rule and players have been defaulted earlier for breaking this rule.
I also watched all the 3 videos posted here and found that the 3rd person deserve more than a default! Even after hitting the line judge, he seems to be unapologetic!

But, Djoko missed a golden opportunity here to close the gap with Nadal and Fed on grand slam numbers. I still think that he will eventually overtakes both Nadal and Fed in total number of Grand Slam wins. And also, he may break many other records before he hangs up.
One good thing about this incident is, now we will have a new Grand Slam champion at the US Open for the first time in six years. Could it be Thiem? Zverev? Medvedev? Or some one else?
Old 7th September 2020, 14:02   #194
BHPian

Maybe a chance for a slam for the new guys will be a start to elevate their levels somewhere close to the big 3. I don't like Nole but damn is he not good. Admire how he took the challenge of Rafa and Roger and became the perfect anti-player to them and dominates both.
Old 7th September 2020, 15:10   #195
Senior - BHPian

IMO the ball being angrily hit in frustration is against the spirit of the game. This is generally part of their training.

Hence, while he obviously didn’t intend to hit the lines woman (he didn’t smack the ball THAT hard, still it DID hurt her), default is the correct decision.

I'm not so sure on the principle of penalising him for the prize money being a right decision. Ofcourse he may afford it, but my opinion is on the principle of imposing the penalty.

I think Nick Kyrgios taking pot-shots is just him doing his antics in bad taste & deserves NO merit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks