Team-BHP - Advice needed for a newbie dog owner. The Enzo Diary...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Advice needed for a newbie dog owner. The Enzo Diary... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/60195-advice-needed-newbie-dog-owner-enzo-diary-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy (Post 1374430)
Pics of Duke please Dueller - asap !

You got married ? When ? Congratulations man !

N_C, thanks. :) I got married in December '08. You've met my wife (then my GF) when we all met up in 2005/06. I'll post pictures of Duke as soon as I get home. Currently at work with no MMC reader.

Cheers!
DueLLeR

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy (Post 1374430)
Pics of Duke please Dueller - asap !

Meet Duke. Pictures taken with phone cam, please excuse quality.

P.S. Tejas, sorry for hijacking Enzo's thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DueLLeR (Post 1374306)
Tejas, congrats on getting Enzo! In fact, I got my black lab puppy on the same day; i.e. Friday, the 3rd of July!

Congratulations!!!

Quote:

On Saturday, we took Duke to the vet who gave him his first shot of 1-in-7 vaccination. The vet also gave deworming medicine, which is to be added to his food once every 10 days.
I was told to deworm him every month with drontal plus (quarter tablet)

Quote:

Because we live in an apartment where Duke has a lot to chew, we got him to accept being tied up right from day one. He did bark for a while, and as suggested by my vet, we ignored him.
Never tied him up. Will try it now.

Quote:

He has successfully torn apart a thick door mat we put for him to sleep on and loves biting hands, legs, shoes, rags etc. To avert this, we try and divert his attention from the 'human item' to his chewy or dog ball. You could also try getting the puppy chewies and/or biting toys available at pet stores.
Problem with chew sticks is that his stools get messy and difficult to clean. With just pedigree, it's very easy to clean up. I used to give him those but stopped. A carrot has started working wonders keeping him occupied for an hour atleast.

Quote:

Last night, while bending over to play with him, he caught hold of my neck chain and kept pulling it. It took quiet some distractions by my wife to 'free' me! Both my wife and I have hands full of scratches from his sharp teeth.
Ya, that's a problem. I sometimes literally have to pry open his mouth so he let's go of my jeans. Apparently, he's also very happy with gay sex being legalized and has started dry humping my leg! :D
As for the scratches, you bet i have plenty!!!

Quote:

Another habit we're trying to discourage is excitement over food. Duke gets on a barking frenzy when we're eating, even if he has just been fed. We ignore his barking and pretend we can't hear him. After doing this for three meals, he's much better. Now, he simply looks at us with the 'puppy face' as if begging for a morsel.
That's one issue i have not faced. I have taught him to sit and only if he sits for 30 seconds without moving does he get his food.

Quote:

We plan to never feed him human food.
Same here.

Quote:

How old is Enzo exactly? From your pics of Enzo, I concur Duke is about 10% larger. It would be fun to see the pups play each other!
He'll be 8 weeks this coming sunday.

Quote:

Take a look at Effective Dog Training & Puppy Training Methods, Approaches & Tips and How To Train A Dog, dog training tips and techniques for home based dog trainers. I'm reading up tips on obedience and behavior training there.
Yup seen it. Gone through all site.
In fact this site below is very helpful too:
The Walk - The proper way to walk your dog - Dog Walking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1373280)
Enzo went on a chewing spree for 3hours till he's finally sleeping now.
Other than crating, tying or using a rolled paper, I don't know what to do. At my wits end. He doesn't like any of his toys to chew. My hand is scratched like mad. No amount of 'no', voice modulation or catching his muzzle is working. What to do? Suggestions?

Neem oil, other repulsive stuff are supposed to work. Its just a part of growing up lol. ( lve lost 3 mobile 'bones' (Phones), a coupla remotes, a Rayban... etc. ) If ur not a veggie, give tejas plenty of real bones meat/beef. They love it. keeps them occupied (and ur phones safe :D). They will grow out of the habit in a few months. You could also play with tejas for an hour or so, that would tire him a bit. Ive seen that when they get a good work out they dont go about chewing things! Hope this helps. I guess every Doggie is different and is a little terroist in his/her own way!! But we could never stop loving them can we? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaeJay (Post 1374814)
Neem oil, other repulsive stuff are supposed to work. Its just a part of growing up lol. ( lve lost 3 mobile 'bones' (Phones), a coupla remotes, a Rayban... etc. ) If ur not a veggie, give tejas plenty of real bones meat/beef. They love it. keeps them occupied (and ur phones safe :D). They will grow out of the habit in a few months. You could also play with tejas for an hour or so, that would tire him a bit. Ive seen that when they get a good work out they dont go about chewing things! Hope this helps. I guess every Doggie is different and is a little terroist in his/her own way!! But we could never stop loving them can we? :)

Thanks. I will chew bones and "play with myself"... lol:
I'm Tejas, dog's Enzo...

But seriously, i play with him for 15 odd minutes and he tires himself out and goes to sleep. Started leash training him today.

Quote:

DueLLeR : One of the pups has extensive hair loss on the back. What happened?
They should recover. If reqd, use a little soframycin there.

Quote:

Tejas@perioimpl : Problem with chew sticks is that his stools get messy and difficult to clean. With just pedigree, it's very easy to clean up.
* Try a diff brand of chew sticks.
* Pedigree - mentioned esle where by another TBHP-ian that these are designed to give a more solid poo.
Quote:

Tejas@perioimpl : That's one issue i have not faced. I have taught him to sit and only if he sits for 30 seconds without moving does he get his food.
* Use that 30 second wait period as the basis for getting him to wait for longer periods. Gradually start making him wait at different places like going through the door / gate, crossing the road, getting in /out of the car. His learning to wait will come in very handy at various times.

& Thanks for those links.

Bombay guys. Urgently require a dosmetic help for baby sitting Enzo during the day.
Also enzo's sibling is up for adoption. Pm me if anyone interested.

Hi Tejas......

This is praveen from Chennai.

I am in Mumbai on Tuesday 13th night and will be around of two days.

I will be staying at bandra. Would love to come see Enzo. Call me on 09840926523. Send me an SMS of your number. So I can call.

for the record: I own a lab and have trained her myself with a little help from Chennai police. Would love to help in whatever way I can.
Had a a GSD earlier.

Reason being while a majority of the advice here is perfect, a little change in some others can help

Enzo...must be zipping around the house....clap:

bad news guys. dad's getting severe bronchitis due to enzo... i may have to give him away. i'm seriously harrowed!!!

@OEM, thanks, sending you a sms. we can have a mini meet also... why don't you start a thread?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1379606)
bad news guys. dad's getting severe bronchitis due to enzo... i may have to give him away. i'm seriously harrowed!!!

@OEM, thanks, sending you a sms. we can have a mini meet also... why don't you start a thread?

Are you sure? It might not have to do with lab hair. For a quick check, check between the paws and behind and inside the ears.

As for the thread, why just a thread? You'll see a complete diary coming up....birth/adoption, grooming, vacination, training, travel, inapartment behaviour, behaviour with strangers, outside behaviour, travel behaviour, mood swings ...generally a first person account with my dog/daughter.

I am there tomorrow. Will give you a call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1373280)
Enzo went on a chewing spree for 3hours till he's finally sleeping now.
Other than crating, tying or using a rolled paper, I don't know what to do. At my wits end. He doesn't like any of his toys to chew. My hand is scratched like mad. No amount of 'no', voice modulation or catching his muzzle is working. What to do? Suggestions?

You ever watch the dog whisperer? When dog is doing bad behaviour he sort of cups his hand and gives it a gentle dig just behind the front legs (check youtube there are bound to be lots of videos of this).

Congratulations!!reminds me of a friend who had a lab too, a golden retriever to be precise. Her name was Sara and she was incredibly affectionate. It's surely a good breed!! Take care of Jazz!!

He's now rechristened Enzo.
He's currently chilling at the farm. Made a mistake by taking him there once and now he hates coming to the city. He just loves the free open spaces at the farm where he can chase butterflies and what not...
First two days after coming back from a farm trip, he's always whining... Come a weekend, he's at the door sitting, knowing that it's a trip to his fav place...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1403487)
He's now rechristened Enzo.
He's currently chilling at the farm. Made a mistake by taking him there once and now he hates coming to the city. He just loves the free open spaces at the farm where he can chase butterflies and what not...
First two days after coming back from a farm trip, he's always whining... Come a weekend, he's at the door sitting, knowing that it's a trip to his fav place...

Tejas - i thought you were gonna give Enzo away cos of dad's allergies - did that get sorted out. Excellent :thumbs up
Good to know that enzo is enjoying at the farm - make sure you keep a check on the ticks which may come from grassy adventures :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jassi (Post 1404197)
Tejas - i thought you were gonna give Enzo away cos of dad's allergies - did that get sorted out.

That's why the farm thing has worked out... more time at farm, less time with dad!

Farm is jointly owned by my uncle and us; and uncle is retired and goes every weekend and takes enzo along.