Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2009, 08:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Though we welcome the judgment, but till the Sec 377 of the IPC is not amended accordingly by an order from the Union Ministry of Law, the HC judgment remains just an judgment.
I echo the sentiments already being expressed here that this was long overdue. As a matter of fact one of the points in the 102 page judgement is that it will be the law till parliament re-enacts or modifies the law.

Even though my political affiliations are not with the ruling regime, but one needs to give them the due for getting the whole issue into the public domain and advocate for its scrapping.

Just goes to show that even though we may not be making rapid progress but we are slowly getting there step-by-step.

Proud to be an Indian!
Old 4th July 2009, 09:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
wrong move.unnatural sex - all kind must be deamed illegal and criminal offence.India is not USA nor Europe or a haven of Seperatist Feminists and Gay Advocates.The Correct word to use is CRUSH gay pride.It is a disorder and disease.

India has nothing to do with the western feminist revolutions of 1970's.India must remain traditional(but not like saudi arabia!).It is Our Strength.Freedom must be conditional.Especially in this context.

Hate Me for telling the truth
Totally agree with you. Its the irresistible Indian desire to copy west. Surprisingly the various religious groups have a common ground here. My only concern is that we must not criminalize it to appease religious groups.
Old 4th July 2009, 09:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

@huntrz: don't worry bhai.They(LGBT right mongers) cannot achieve this things in India for sure.SC will just reject these kind of Pleas.A national consensus reject this kind of horrible laws(LGBT rights).

instead ,why medics want to deny Homosex as uncurable?Everything is Possible if thinks in a broader way.They want to reject it because "Gays are born gay!".But ,In future ,or may be present brain disorder will be curable.I am Positive.
Old 4th July 2009, 09:24   #34
BHPian

this is going to control the population

all jokes aside, i have a feeling homosexuality will still be looked down upon for a long time to come. new concepts like these do not digest well with the several million close minded people in our country.
Old 4th July 2009, 09:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

btw, article 377 states
Quote:
Whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal
So if it is repealed , does that mean bestiality is legal too ?
Old 4th July 2009, 09:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Well, we're talking about "consensual" activities here. I'm pretty confident a murder will not be a consensual affair between two parties, irrespective of gender.
and you think pedophilia is consensual?

Quote:
I'm sure infertile couples could have used consensual sex, but I don't think that makes it legal.
I am not aware either, but what we are discussing is what WE think about it. And then, whether government has any business directing it.

EDIT: with the doctor's office angle, all i was trying to say is that many thing that look disgusting to us may have many compelling stories and reasons behind them. We need an open mind to understand them before we pass a verdict.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 4th July 2009 at 09:41.
Old 4th July 2009, 10:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
and you think pedophilia is consensual?
Consensual intercourse with a minor is not impossible. I'm sure you are aware of Statutory Rape.
Old 4th July 2009, 10:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
wrong move.unnatural sex - all kind must be deamed illegal and criminal offence.India is not USA nor Europe or a haven of Seperatist Feminists and Gay Advocates.The Correct word to use is CRUSH gay pride.It is a disorder and disease.

India has nothing to do with the western feminist revolutions of 1970's.India must remain traditional(but not like saudi arabia!).It is Our Strength.Freedom must be conditional.Especially in this context.

Hate Me for telling the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
what's next? legalizing pedophilia, drugs or prostitution? how about legalizing nudity like the Western culture?

I am sure there will be advocates for these issues too.

Where does one draw the fine line?

I dont oppose coz I am not the society but a small part of it and I have learnt to adhere and live along the lines it adopts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
Its a disease .Have faith in GOD & enjoy what NATURE has created.We should not go against nature.
Agree partially with you guys. Though I consider it wrong and disapprove of it, you cannot call them criminals. Of course they should know the limits. As long as they mind their own business, I have no problem.
Old 4th July 2009, 10:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
what's next?how about legalizing nudity like the Western culture?

I am sure there will be advocates for these issues too.

Where does one draw the fine line?

I dont oppose coz I am not the society but a small part of it and I have learnt to adhere and live along the lines it adopts.
Devarshi, Funnily enough, lower caste women in kerala were forced to go around topless. It was only after a series of protests that the british eventually intervened and passed laws to empower these women.Its a little known aspect of mallu history. Read more about it here
Women's Development Corporation

Westerners do deserve credit for bringing at least some positive social changes. And one should not ignore ideas blindly because of their origin.

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th July 2009 at 10:54.
Old 4th July 2009, 11:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Consensual intercourse with a minor is not impossible. I'm sure you are aware of Statutory Rape.
I didn't know the term, but it only proves the point that it's considered a rape.
Old 4th July 2009, 11:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Do you think that the british did the right thing?

Government restricting what we do in the confines of our homes consensually among adults is more of a stupidity. This includes gays too. People anyways commit adultry and hence similarly Gays exist too.

But care should be taken that this thing is not brought out in the public. I wouldnt go on term it as a disease or a crime etc etc but there are things which should never be made legal.

I always wanted to eat chocolates as a child like every other child, But my mom made sure I didnt have any coz she knew I suffered a lot from cold and cough. Now what would've happened if my mom would not bind me with limits?

As I said before, where do we draw the fine line? ( Arnold wants to make Growing drugs legal. Imagine how long it will take for the law to come to India.)
CA Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Marijuana Legalization | NORML Daily Audio Stash

Off topic : my newly married friend commented ' yaar biwi ko ab tak khali ladkiyo se jalan hoti thi, ab to ladka bhi dekhega to use shak hoga."

Last edited by devarshi84 : 4th July 2009 at 11:15.
Old 4th July 2009, 11:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I didn't know the term, but it only proves the point that it's considered a rape.
Yes, it also means that just because something is consensual does not mean that it deserves to be legal.
Quote:
Do you think that the british did the right thing?
They did Some things right

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th July 2009 at 11:26.
Old 4th July 2009, 11:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Well, its a judgement long overdue i think.
Those who think that homosexuality is "unnatural", may want to read
Homosexual behavior in animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And i quote
Quote:
The natural existence of homosexuality in non-human animals is considered controversial by conservative religious groups who oppose LGBT social movements because these findings seem to point to the natural occurrence of homosexuality in humans.[1] It also counters the 'peccatum contra naturam' ('sin against nature') - after Thomas Aquinas - established since the Medieval Christianities.
But then i think their argument will be that humans are better and more evolved than animals. To which, i would say.. baah! If we are still hanging onto ideas from Medieval Christianities, then we have not evolved much, have we?

Anyway, I am happy that at least the Judiciary is doing its job in doing justice.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2009, 11:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

amitoj, the wiki article also links to
Appeal to nature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 4th July 2009, 12:18   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

You know when I started this thread it was quickly moved to purgatory by the support team.

The moderators discussed the possibility of this turning into an uneasy debate and I insisted that this was not a cause for debate. It was news that I wanted to share with you.

Whether you like it or not, homosexuality is not a crime in India and is no longer punishable in the court of law. I brought this news to you and presented it as a progression.

I understand that there are many amongst you that do not approve of homosexuality. This needs to be respected. Many have presented a mature and sensible viewpoint, some have merely shown great immaturity by declaring homosexulaity to be a sickness and likening homosexuality to incest, bestiality and rape. (Honestly, I have many gay friends and I find this comparison way too sickening to even discuss further, it's just sad and I'd like to leave it at that)

Some find homosexuality to be western apism. I find this statement hugely amusing.
India had openly homosexual people in its earliest recorded civilizations. Most great and ancient civilizations have had homosexual references and recorded history.
Most of this ancient history was written before cross-civilation contact was established. (Unless you think the Indians were aping the Greeks then, lol)

No matter, your views need to be tolerated and respected too. This thread was not created to discuss the pros and cons of being gay. - this topic is too controversial for Team-BHP and if that is the direction this thread takes, it will be wiped out pretty soon by the support team.

I repeat - it does not matter whether you are gay, whether you approve of homosexuality, whether you think that being gay is a choice, a wonderful thing, a state of mind or a sickness. That is not the topic of this thread.

Those of you that think that people who are gay are committing a crime against our legal system should be punished in a court of law in India have reason to be sorry about this new judgement and should speak about it.

The rest of us can take pride in living in a progressive and tolerant country that has recently amended an archaic law for its people.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks