Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 20:40   #61
Team-BHP Support

Two parts to this solution

Cut demand - most of this is through cattle grazing, growing crops to feed cattle, firewood - if we reduce our meat intake also our population growth. (I will not say turn vegetarian). I met someone who is trying to incentivise villagers to use solar power for cooking

Regeneration - Bar cattle from certain parts of the lands. I was shown pictures in Gujarat of near deserts being transformed into lush fauna by banishing cattle and human traffic
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 16:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Sigur Ghats

I am sure many of the people who have driven up the Sigur ghats would have seen the bison view point. Adjacent is a small road that winds down. There are no boards, signs or any indication that a road lies ahead. Last Sunday I went down this road. The forest has been cut to make way and runs through a small stream. Cattle were grazing on the slopes and there was a small shack there. I got into a heated argument with the person there and he claimed it to be a private land. I told him to call his owner and will settle it with him rather than haggle with him. Yes, he wanted me to pay Rs.500 for coming down the road. I shared my most decent vocabulary with him and told him to call his owner, the guy sobered down and just left from there.
Attached a picture to show something thats being cultivate in the valley. Just for your information, nothing of this is visible from the main road.

I am copying and pasting the same post in another thread here that supposedly has activists who were responsibile for shutting down night traffic on this route. Isnt this more important?
Attached Thumbnails
Saving our Forests : What the individual can do-11102009.jpg  

Old 25th May 2010, 14:47   #63
Senior - BHPian

I read this article in today's paper and i was
Lalbagh to lose trees for a ‘Sentosa’ look

As most of you may know, Lalbagh is home to various species of birds.

Last edited by amitoj : 25th May 2010 at 14:49.
Old 25th May 2010, 14:53   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Those who haven't please see the movie called "Home" by Yann Arthus Bertrand. Its a most beautifully filmed documentary about how we are destroying this beautiful planet, our home. You could see it off youtube.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I read this article in today's paper and i was
Lalbagh to lose trees for a ‘Sentosa’ look

As most of you may know, Lalbagh is home to various species of birds.
Oh god, they are again commercializing Lalbagh? 10 full grown tree is a big no, when will we be able to cop up this loss?
Old 25th May 2010, 15:39   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Oh god, they are again commercializing Lalbagh? 10 full grown tree is a big no, when will we be able to cop up this loss?
If you look at the aerial view from Google Maps below, it has already lost a significant amount of trees from its Eastern side. Now they may be targeting the areas around the lake. God save them!

PS. This may be a pretty old image considering the updating frequency of Google Maps. Current reality can only be worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Saving our Forests : What the individual can do-lalbagh.jpg  

Last edited by vasoo : 25th May 2010 at 15:41.
Old 21st March 2020, 19:50   #67
BHPian

Re: Saving our Forests : What the individual can do

Waking up this old thread..

500 hectares of forest, 2 lakh trees, Kali tiger reserve, hornbill conservation project all in danger now.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le31122449.ece

Last edited by _chikku : 21st March 2020 at 19:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks