Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 14:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I didn't feel a thing either. Never felt earthquakes in my life, for that matter.
Most of the people dont realize its a quake unless its of a higher magnitude. They feel like its nausea and walk on. Pray that you never have to feel a 7+ earthquake in your life.
Old 11th August 2009, 14:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Though i didnot feel it , wife confirmed she felt it as bed shook a little. My dad saw news and confirmed this morning.

Thank god no damage in India
Old 11th August 2009, 15:27   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife told me it is all foretold in the bible.

I told her, "....

Woops! Nearly broke forum rules there
Old 11th August 2009, 15:33   #34
BHPian

Even me and my brother felt it,it was raining at the time
Old 11th August 2009, 16:08   #35
BHPian

I and my wife felt it at North Kolkata,twice,about 1 min apart.The first one we felt was milder than the second "after wave"-which really made me quite serious,we had no way to escape from being buried in the concrete(Dangerous to use the elevator,time consuming to escape by stairs),if it would become serious in Kolkata.We were doing some work (sorting some intruments) at one room in our flat which is on 5th floor(its the top floor).I live in a quite big "nagari" like township-but all people and dogs were sleeping-none made any noise.Also our pet bird (a moustached parakeet) and my mom & dad were sleeping as nothing has happened.
We felt another such earthquake a month or so ago,but was much more milder.
I think being at a top floor we got an amplified wave? or really it was strong in Kolkata?
Old 11th August 2009, 17:09   #36
BHPian

Isnt there any earthquake early warning system ? Anybody know how effective there and how early can it predict an impending earthquake before it actually occurs. I dont remember any of the news channels flashing any news on the earthquake before it actually happened or did they?. I am sure with technology having improved so much people can defenitely be forewarned with such systems in place. Imagine if people living in high rises and there is an earthquake was to take place, it would lead to a major catastrophe if at all the building was to come crashing down. There should be some kind of system in place to keep atleast the prone areas forewarned so that people can take preventive measures.

Wonder how they do it in japan and other highly earthquake proven countries ?
Old 11th August 2009, 17:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Isnt there any earthquake early warning system ? Anybody know how effective there and how early can it predict an impending earthquake before it actually occurs. I dont remember any of the news channels flashing any news on the earthquake before it actually happened or did they?. I am sure with technology having improved so much people can defenitely be forewarned with such systems in place. Imagine if people living in high rises and there is an earthquake was to take place, it would lead to a major catastrophe if at all the building was to come crashing down. There should be some kind of system in place to keep atleast the prone areas forewarned so that people can take preventive measures.

Wonder how they do it in japan and other highly earthquake proven countries ?
You dont watch too much of the discovery channel do you?
Old 11th August 2009, 18:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_bmw View Post
I think being at a top floor we got an amplified wave? or really it was strong in Kolkata?
It was pretty strong in Kolkata. I was just about to fall asleep when I felt the bed rock gently laterally for several seconds. Took me a few moments to realize what was happening. My mom felt it too. The wind chimes in my house were making quite a racket, with all the windows shut. Guess that says something.
I really hope we don't see a repeat of Dec 26th 2004...
Old 11th August 2009, 18:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
You dont watch too much of the discovery channel do you?
nope..care to enlighten us.
Old 11th August 2009, 18:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
It was pretty strong in Kolkata.
At what time did it happen in Kolkata? i never felt it. i was awake till 12am.
Old 11th August 2009, 18:52   #41
BHPian

About 35minutes past 1 in the morning.
for 30 second only.
Old 11th August 2009, 20:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I and my wife felt it at North Kolkata,twice,about 1 min apart.The first one we felt was milder than the second "after wave"-which really made me quite serious,we had no way to escape from being buried in the concrete(Dangerous to use the elevator,time consuming to escape by stairs),if it would become serious in Kolkata.We were doing some work (sorting some intruments) at one room in our flat which is on 5th floor(its the top floor).

possible that at top floor you get amplified wave. I was in jabalpur on 22nd may 1997 and it was quite scary. We woke up after the beds were rocked and hit to the walls. then I could hear the after shock coming from a far distance (very fast) and shake us as it passed by, rattling the windows.

There are survival guides on net, but the most important I have seen is imagine your place after the earthquake, every thing shattered, and triangular spaces between the debris. That's where we have the highest chance of survival, like next to a heavy furniture. Not under it.

In Japan, the first thing they do is make quake resistant buildings, use soft base so it can absorb some energy. Warning systems don't work for earthquakes. Scientists have installed measurement devices at different points on earth and with that they can determine what plates are moving and where are the fault regions. But they can not predict WHEN the quake will strike. Probability of quake in certain areas over a period of say 20-50 years can be determined.
Old 12th August 2009, 01:05   #43
BHPian

vivekiny2k -you are absolutely right.planet_rocker and thebagchi -I think it was around 01:30AM yesterday.
Guys,who are ignorant but enthuistic,just search the net and read about it.
I have heard that scientists are working on how the animals can "feel" the earthquake event before,but after seing my bird's nap and around 5 street dog sleep reactionless-what I am thinking you can imagine!Also,a young dog in neighbourhood (german shepard") didnt barked.By the way,I saw some strange reactions before hand in my bird before the devastating cyclone in WB few months ago,it was sunny outside then.

Last edited by abhishek_bmw : 12th August 2009 at 01:13.
Old 12th August 2009, 01:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
vivekiny2k -you are absolutely right.planet_rocker and thebagchi -I think it was around 01:30AM yesterday.
Yep. Around 1:30 at Kolkata. Felt it too. I stay on the 4th floor.

And btw, my labrador slept through it too. Not a whimper. But then, she sleeps through most events in life

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks