Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 14:21   #31
BHPian

The quality of LEVIs has gone down and the prices have been jacked since sometime around 03-04 or thereabouts!

Another thing I've noticed and this is really annoying - LEVI's in India will NOT sell you jeans with different leg lengths anymore - they used to do this prior to '03/'04 e.g. waist 32" jeans would come in leg lenghts of 30", 32", 34" AND the jeans used to cost less ! AND the worst part is that the other manufacturers stopped making separate lengths too (Lee and Wrangler also stopped giving out separate lengths - BUT ONLY in INDIA - somewhere around the same time!)

MOREOVER they WILL sell LEVIs in the US and other countries with different leg lengths ! You can check out on Amazon and see this for yourself!

Nowadays - LEVIs makes jeans in India that are of a single length - 34" and alter the jeans if you need it any shorter ! I can understand a low cost jeans manufacturer doing this for economies of scale - fair enough . BUT for an expensive PREMIUM brand to ask folks to alter their jeans when they buy is absolutely pathetic ! I have since then stopped buying LEVIS in India - If you look around at Indian brands you can get the same quality if not better for 1/4th the price!

Anyone know anybody at LEVIS - please point them to this thread !

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 19th August 2009 at 14:24.
Old 19th August 2009, 14:30   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
LEVI's in India will NOT sell you jeans with different leg lengths anymore - they used to do this prior to '03/'04
^+1

The same exact reason i stopped buying Levi's around that time. The material used for the pockets inner is pathetic.

Quote:
Anyone know anybody at LEVIS - please point them to this thread !
There is one member right on here
Old 19th August 2009, 14:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a EMI scheme for these Levis jeans. So you know how good it is selling.
Old 19th August 2009, 14:35   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
OT, but during the recent IPL matches, my 9 year old son wanted a CSK jersey and pestered me to go to a nearby adidas store (or was it Reebok - I forget, both of them are situated side by side). His size was available but minus the cap, and the price was close to Rs 1000. I was irked, but just bought it calmly as I did not want to curb the child's enthusiasm. After all, we all understand peer pressure, don't we!

Just a few days back, he again wanted a foot ball jersey, I forget the team but with Beckam's name embossed. He kept at it till I again went to the store with him. To my relief it was not available and we got ready to leave. The little fellow was dancing around desperately trying to pick up something else, he did not want to leave empty handed! Then his eyes lit up as he saw a stack of caps, and he gleefully pulled out the CSK cap from among them and waved it at me. I took it from him and was shocked when I checked the price - Rs 999.95 ! I put it back, dragged my son back to the car and took him to a friendly neighborhood shop, where we bought a similar cap for Rs 60.00. I am convinced the price is not justified, however superior the material used may be. It is a simple cloth cap, after all. We are simply made to pay for the label.
Ranganathan Street, T Nagar.

If your son is crazy about these transformer, ben 10 dolls and so on. Check out the Saravana stores there. Stuff available at a few hundreds in big shops is available at less than a 100 bucks here. Do check out the larger stores as well. I am not referring to the platform shops.

MODS:
This is a public service announcement.
Money saved on boys toys, can be spent on mens toys like Stage 2/ Petes etc.
Old 19th August 2009, 14:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

If not Levis which other brand?
I am very impressed with the quality of WOODLANDS jeans picked by my bro from 100ft road showroom last month. forgot the model no. But quality seems to be very good.
Old 19th August 2009, 15:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
.....I've been wearing Levis since the late 60s (not the same pair).........
If they were the same pair, what an ad for Levis that would be! .
Old 19th August 2009, 15:08   #37
BHPian

Certainly not!
Levi's has moved all manufacturing of uppers ( shirt, T's and the like) to contract manufacturers who produce their own nonsensical designs and just stamp the levi's logo on them.
You can find much better stuff and hugely better designs here in England or in the States at any levi's store. The only reason I am not buying them is that even after I spend tons of money when I come back to India it will be the same brand as on the shirt of the guy next to me whose design is probably best suited for a pocha! Not worth it, considering for the same amount of money I can buy some of the big label brands.
Old 19th August 2009, 15:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everybody, I knew this was just not me. However the Leela galleria store stocks imported Levis. As mentioned earlier they have served me good and do not come with the floral prints in the inner pocket cloth and have very subtle designs.

Has anyone noticed that the tailor within the store who normally is assigned to alter was found seaming the pants. Now this gives me serious doubts whether they make the pants in-store.

Even I think it makes sense to buy them from abroad.
Old 19th August 2009, 15:47   #39
Team-BHP Support

Regarding leg length argument, actually everybody shortchanges in India. For example shoe makers do not sell 10.5 11.5 etc., half sizes, while all over the world half sizes are available. I do not think there is some genetic code in India which ensures population does not have half sizes.
Many people I know will either wear a slightly loose shoe, or slightly tight shoe because half size is not available
Old 19th August 2009, 16:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What is the price difference approx ?
The US made ones cost somewhere around AED 450 - 500.
The Indian made ones cost around AED 250 - 300.
The Bangladesh / Vietnam ones cost around AED 150. But they are not sold in the Levis stores. These are available in those multi-brands shops.

PS: Exchange rate is AED 1 = Rs. 13.20 approx

Last edited by wheeler : 19th August 2009 at 16:07.
Old 19th August 2009, 16:04   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Regarding leg length argument, actually everybody shortchanges in India. For example shoe makers do not sell 10.5 11.5 etc., half sizes, while all over the world half sizes are available. I do not think there is some genetic code in India which ensures population does not have half sizes.
Many people I know will either wear a slightly loose shoe, or slightly tight shoe because half size is not available
and the funny thing is that given our population, even the oddest size will have lakhs of customers.

anyone saw this
http://www.mydigitalfc.com/companies...-jeans-emi-737
Old 19th August 2009, 16:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradster View Post
Certainly not!
Levi's has moved all manufacturing of uppers ( shirt, T's and the like) to contract manufacturers who produce their own nonsensical designs and just stamp the levi's logo on them.
You can find much better stuff and hugely better designs here in England or in the States at any levi's store. The only reason I am not buying them is that even after I spend tons of money when I come back to India it will be the same brand as on the shirt of the guy next to me whose design is probably best suited for a pocha! Not worth it, considering for the same amount of money I can buy some of the big label brands.

Very true, I had a friend who had a factory and he made jeans for them. Now he sold the factory. As far as I know its no more the same Levis,.their quality is gone down a lot. A brand new Jean in less than a month starts to frill around the edges. What a shame after paying so much for it. Still I love the Levis Black Jeans. The best.
Old 19th August 2009, 16:14   #43
BHPian

That reminds me , during the times the quality was still good - levi's ads used to have the slogan "quality never goes out of style" and the packaging used to carry small bits on what made the jeans better quality than others .

Now I know why they stopped using the "quality never goes out of style" slogan !
Old 19th August 2009, 16:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

I said bye to Levis close to three years back. I was not happy with the quality.

I have been using only Pepe jeans since then.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 19th August 2009 at 16:21.
Old 19th August 2009, 16:54   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
If not Levis which other brand?
I am very impressed with the quality of WOODLANDS jeans
Yup there isn't much choice either!
Right about Woodland, quality of their clothing is good but their main focus is on footwear. Also, their designs are nothing much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradster View Post
Levi's has moved all manufacturing of uppers ( shirt, T's and the like) to contract manufacturers who produce their own nonsensical designs and just stamp the levi's logo
Yes, the uppers produced by Levis are pathetic, I did not find a single piece worth buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
shoe makers do not sell 10.5 11.5 etc., half sizes, while all over the world half sizes are available.
Tell me about it, I suffer from ill fitting shoe all the time!
Only local manufacturers make made to order shoes with perfect size but design, finesse are missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have been using only Pepe jeans since then.
Pepe used to be ok some years back but their sudden movement towards mass production has meant that design & quality have suffered.

BTW, a friend of mine has a shop in which he brings stuff which has been export surpless or has some minor fault, not visible unless one tries to find. He has all the major brands - Fcuk, Tommy, Amber, Diesel, Levis, Lee, etc. with proper tags but the prices are like 300-500 bucks only!
I tried some of them & they fit like original ones & the quality also seemed good. I asked him again & again if it was duplicate stuff but he maintained that its not duplicate but exports surpless/rejected or the local companies which produce it with license, produce similar extra stuff & push it in the local market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks