Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 17:09   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

I love Levi's but unfortunately their fitting doesn't fit me properly plus the colors are not that great in my difficult to get my size ( 38" waist).

I love the soft and extremely light denim of FM
Old 19th August 2009, 17:14   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
but he maintained that its not duplicate but exports surpless/rejected or the local companies which produce it with license, produce similar extra stuff & push it in the local market.
My BIL owns a few garment factories in Chennai & Villipuram and makes clothes for quite a few big brands. I think its mainly the rejected stock that gets pushed into the market, because mostly the fabric is supplied by the company & in exact proportions too taking into the account the wastage. Only the stitching/washing/ironing etc is allocated here. Most times, the quantity of fabric supplied is so bang on target that they end up getting about 2-3 trousers/shirts extra.

I was shocked to see the kind of profit margins available on apparels. I bought a Adidas T for ~800 bucks from the showroom. Last time when I visited his factory, they were making the same T's and he says the total manufacturing cost for them is around 250 bucks. The rest is taxes, commission, blah blah. Unfortunately, since they hardly have any extra material left, I can't get my hands on them. Though, I do get a supply of some reject stuff from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
If not Levis which other brand?
I keep hearing good reviews about Spykar & Killer. FCUK is apparently good, but expensive. I am going shopping this Monday. Lets see how it goes. Any suggestions on what all brands to try?
Old 19th August 2009, 17:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradster View Post
Certainly not!
Levi's has moved all manufacturing of uppers ( shirt, T's and the like) to contract manufacturers who produce their own nonsensical designs and just stamp the levi's logo on them.
You can find much better stuff and hugely better designs here in England or in the States at any levi's store. The only reason I am not buying them is that even after I spend tons of money when I come back to India it will be the same brand as on the shirt of the guy next to me whose design is probably best suited for a pocha! Not worth it, considering for the same amount of money I can buy some of the big label brands.
sorry..OT
Even if your buying Armani Exchange, A&F, D&G and Versace even Just Cavalli from US/UK you face same issue here in India. Above mentioned brands are available for Rs.100-200 from any footpath stores in India. I stopped wearing my Armanis after seeing this
Old 19th August 2009, 17:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

?[/quote]
I keep hearing good reviews about Spykar & Killer. FCUK is apparently good, but expensive. I am going shopping this Monday. Lets see how it goes. Any suggestions on what all brands to try?[/quote]

where do you shop FCUK in Bangalore?
Old 19th August 2009, 17:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

The ones sold on the footpaths are never genuine.
I used to sell Hugo Boss and Diesel range of eye wear for South India, at a point of time.

The main problem to tackle were the fakes, even the big dealers used to promote fakes. The fakes were never recognizable amongst the original and the dealers used to make a killing selling both alongside.

Last edited by beejay : 19th August 2009 at 17:52.
Old 19th August 2009, 18:14   #51
BANNED

Quote:
where do you shop FCUK in Bangalore?
Garuda Mall has a FCUK store I hear. Going to check it out this Monday.
Old 19th August 2009, 18:18   #52
BANNED

Quote:
If not Levis which other brand?
How is Wrangler? Are they good?
Old 19th August 2009, 18:43   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
How is Wrangler? Are they good?
Wrangler is the cheapest pair of brand name Jeans in the states, you could buy a pair in Walmart for as little as $10. Apparently they also stock Levi's at a similar, albeit a bit higher price.

Quote:
sorry..OT
Even if your buying Armani Exchange, A&F, D&G and Versace even Just Cavalli from US/UK you face same issue here in India. Above mentioned brands are available for Rs.100-200 from any footpath stores in India. I stopped wearing my Armanis after seeing this
Armani exchange was always the cheaper armani brand. That said there are no brands which are not faked. The quality however is suspect and a dead give away. Take a look at the number of people wearing Ed hardy T-shirts, do you think all of them paid 5k for one?

I personally buy my jeans from GAS and FCUK. Diesel, Jack Jones and Topman do great fits as well (in decreasing order of pricing)
Old 19th August 2009, 18:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

thanks guys I'll try FCUK this weekend,

my waist size has gone down from 31" to 29" and am not able to wear many of my jeans. have to pick few new.

AX and D&G are the victims no.1 n 2 when it comes to fake in India.

Bye bye Levis!!!
Old 19th August 2009, 18:59   #55
BANNED

Quote:
thanks guys I'll try FCUK this weekend,
Try Oasis mall, lifestyle & Shoppers Stop @ Garuda. Let us know how it goes. I am planning to go next monday.
Old 19th August 2009, 19:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Try Oasis mall, lifestyle & Shoppers Stop @ Garuda. Let us know how it goes. I am planning to go next monday.
No offences, BUT..

You know this is the first thread where men have been discussing clothes and co-ordinating their shopping.

Old 19th August 2009, 19:29   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I think its mainly the rejected stock that gets pushed into the market,Most times, the quantity of fabric supplied is so bang on target that they end up getting about 2-3 trousers/shirts extra.
I was shocked to see the kind of profit margins available on apparels.
I keep hearing good reviews about Spykar & Killer. FCUK is apparently good, but expensive.

Still its useable/wearable because the made in/for India stuff that we get is worse than made for abroad/export, rejected stuff.

Yes the profit margins in clothing are huge. I know a couple of big manufacturers in Ludhiana who are manufactuting stuff for National/International Companies/brands & they are all rolling in cash!
Even retailers make good margins in clothing.

Fcuk is alright but I find it mimmicking a somewhat similar word, looks pretty cheap. I mean, I can't wear a Tee with Fcuk printed on it!
Old 19th August 2009, 20:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

I agree with everyone here.
Levis has gone down in quality off late(4-5years atleast).
The ones i bought in 2002-3 around and the ones i got recently(red loop) the quality difference can be felt.
Had not got jeans from out of country yet but as most of us here are in favor will try that also.
My dad has a wrangler and guess which came from US recently and seriously the quality is much better than my levis anyday.
Old 19th August 2009, 21:10   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Fcuk is alright but I find it mimmicking a somewhat similar word, looks pretty cheap. I mean, I can't wear a Tee with Fcuk printed on it!
FCUK actually stands for French Connection UK and has nothing to do with the F word as such. The fact that they chose to come out with a line of T's playing around with the word was unfortunate and as expected the line bombed.
Having said that, I am a big fan of their clothes and half of my wardrobe is FCUK!
Old 20th August 2009, 00:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Same goes with reebok and adidas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks