Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 00:50   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post

Having a GPS device alone wouldn't help. They should also have a radio link to relay back the co-ordinates to some base station. But when the radio link itself has gone, the GPS would be of no use. Also unless they are embedded in a non-destructible and self running unit like a blackbox, it wouldn't help much in case of a crash
Nope,if the copter had a gps tracking device it would had been much easier to pin point the copter location.No need to relay back coordinates and all.
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

YSR Reddy found dead, 4 other bodies found. NDTV.
Also this : Andhra CM killed in helicopter crash: Rediff.com news

Last edited by prince_pervez : 3rd September 2009 at 11:13.
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good Lord!! May their soul R.I.P. I have no love for the politicians but for the sake of humanity I was hoping that they be found. What a tragic end.

Back to the discussion, its really sad that the chopper wasnt even fitted with a tracking device. Maybe if (big if) the wreckage was found earlier we could have saved some lives. Hoping that the aviation industry the govt and the babu's in general wake up to the situation now.

Wishing for strength to the family of those who died in the crash.
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

May YSR's soul R.I.P. !

We as a nation are not prepared it mainly is because of the various bureaucracy and babudom. And add to that the state of our police forces ( Atleast in Hyderabad) which is nothing to write home about. I stay about 100M from CM's house and the whole place is a mess because of the traffic jam caused by other self claimed VIP's and their coterie's.

When will we learn and try to be pro-active?
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

RIP Dr.YSR
Massive search concluded exactly 24hours after the helicopter went missing.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

May the souls RIP! :(

All you people flaming india, helicopters etc - this things happen everywhere. Hopefully we will learn from the mistakes.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

May GOD give peace to departed souls in the helicopter crash

Two things annoy me

1. Disasters come and go, but we never learn to anticipate them, prevent them, reduce the impact of the disaster

2. our leaders openly say, "We pray to GOD, Allah, Jesus etc, instead of saying what they are going to do to prevent the next one.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post

Well..coming back to the topic, our disaster preparedness has proven to be next to nothing. It simply doesn't exist.

Its a pity and disgrace that we have to take help from US to find even a missing helicopter.

Our disaster preparedness is not upto US standards - I agree, but you can't say it is nonexistent. We are constantly improving and it is better than in any other developing nation. When a calamity occurs, there will be some panic - be it terror strikes in Mumbai, London bomb blasts or US cyclones.

Regarding US help for locating the helicopter, it is a rumour and nothing of that sort happened.

If our political system is in a rotten shape, each and every one of us is responsible. It is a collective failure.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
Our disaster preparedness is not upto US standards - I agree, but you can't say it is nonexistent. We are constantly improving and it is better than in any other developing nation. When a calamity occurs, there will be some panic - be it terror strikes in Mumbai, London bomb blasts or US cyclones.
I agree to this but the learning is too slow and most often bottlenecked by the bureaucracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
If our political system is in a rotten shape, each and every one of us is responsible. It is a collective failure.
+ 10 to that. Its high time educated people need to take interest in public governance and either join themselves or support the right ones. With freedom comes responsibilities which we shy away from.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

+ 10 to that. Its high time educated people need to take interest in public governance and either join themselves or support the right ones. With freedom comes responsibilities which we shy away from.

I am fully supporting your view, hope that change in attitude will develop soon.
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
Nope,if the copter had a gps tracking device it would had been much easier to pin point the copter location.No need to relay back coordinates and all.
Baba, a GPS device lets the user know his own location. It does not let the world know the user's location. So, what difference would it have made if the chopper was carrying a GPS if its own location was not being transmitted. What would have really helped would have been the ELT. The fact that the ELT did not go off is a serous lapse which will need close scrutiny.
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Baba, a GPS device ..........
ha ha ha ..sorry man cracked up on that. Is that his real name ? Sorry no offenses.
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:44   #28
BHPian

RIP YSR. May his and co-passengers soul rest in peace.

These high profile cases only makes the reality out loud. No disaster management coupled with no synergy in comms, over-enthusistic media and more so 'stone age' tactics. The safty measures, planning and value of human life are paramount in developed world.

Why so much force needs to get involved? I was reading/watching the news with amusement on the 5000+ ground troops+IAF deployment. The lack of preparedness, technology adaption and sophistication in this age, makes the natural/man-made disasters strike harder.
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:33   #29
BANNED

We are definitely not. After all we beleive in out fate and Karma. Also we are convinced that God is an Indian and that calamity strikes someone else.

One question, what did they expect the Sukhoi's to do?
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:40   #30
BANNED

Karnataka government announces two days mourning

Quote:
An emergent cabinet meeting chaired by Home Minister V S Acharya in the absence of Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa, who is on a tour to China also decided to declare a statewide holiday tomorrow.
Holiday

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks