Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2005, 16:18   #1
BHPian

My BRAND NEW NHC CVT in 3 feet water..

Well,very very tragic..but because of a natural calamity which struck as 37 inches rainfall in Mumbai..my car is in trouble.
It is at Somaiya hospital,Sion..I am a medical student there..yesterday,when I was about to leave,the stretch from my hospital to the Eastern Highway was in 9 inches flooded waters..so,I thought lets just wait for a while for the rains to stop,and then will take the car..but the rain Gods decided other way round,and I had to stay overnight at the hospital..well,today morning,what I saw after I woke up - hospital is an island in the middle of an ocean..the water level was around the top of the front bonnet,and I don't know whether water must have gone inside the car..no idea at all..
I decided to leave the hospital,since there was a food/water/electric crises,and I just walked all the way to Dadar,and took a cab home later on.
Well,now whatever is done is done..I wanted some tips -
Do I try to start the car whenever I go there net time(maybe in 2 days or so)..or should I just call on Fast Track Emergency road service people and get the engine cleaned of the dirt and stuff first?..
I wanted to get it towed,but guys - the water level is so high,and none of the towing vans will reach my car..so,guess I'll just have to wait.
Also,do you think water must be at the same level inside the car,like outside?..?..I don't know what will happen to my seat cover(PU Leather),and PU door trims..what do I do if the interiors are in total mess??..have bought many accessories like door trims/seat covers from outside..and not from the company.
Please suggest on my next steps I should do to get the car home safely,and further on..like whether a service is necessary from Honda(I just had my 1st free service 4-5 days back)..
Thanks,
Suraj
Old 27th July 2005, 16:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hello Suraj,

I am sorry to hear about your predicament. I guess many more people living in Mumbai probably are in the same condition as you are. In my opinion, it is better you call up Honda service and let them take over before you start your car. They are the best judge to assess the kind of damage (I hope nothing in your case) that is done to your car and let them proceed.

Thanks,
Old 27th July 2005, 16:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dont start the car..if there is water inside the engine (might have gone thru the air filter)...it will do irreversible damage....just wait....
In general...doors are water proof so I do not think that water would have gone inside the car...best of luck :-)
Old 27th July 2005, 17:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

Chances are that there is very little damge in three feet of water. Let the car stand. Check whether water went into the airfilter - best to call honda service in doubt
Old 27th July 2005, 17:43   #5
BHPian

Yeah..I just hope the doors are actually water proof,like honda have claimed..but well,I was thinking- could water enter through the other smaller passages from below-like from the gas pedal,and brake pedal..??..
Also,guys - should I call up Fast Track and get the car towed to Honda,or should I allow them to first check on the car,and they try to get it started ,and then take the car to Honda service for thorough check up of the entire engine/interior electrical components.
Any idea about expected damage cost ??..will it be so much that I have to claim in insurance?..
Suraj
Old 27th July 2005, 17:46   #6
BHPian

Water at that level might enter your engine...so dont start the car immediately. Wait for a while...it might clear up, if the water has entered some other part ensure you call the nearest dealer.
Old 27th July 2005, 18:24   #7
BHPian

Be careful!

Suraj,

Sad man, my Swift is the same vintage as your City and I imagin how I would feel in similar situation :(
Auto doors are water tight - water proof is a commonly used misnomer. Hell of a lot of difference there. Remember, there is 3 feet of water putting pressure on a dry interior - the lowest entry point of the car is under fair pressure for prolonged time.

Assume nothing and be prepared for the worst - That way you will not get further rude shocks.

IMHO, the Honda service guys taking a look-see before you gun the motor is the best advise.

Keep us posted - Take care.

Cheer-up!
Old 27th July 2005, 19:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
..will it be so much that I have to claim in insurance?..
Suraj
I guess for nature calamity insurance will not be paid. But who will decide whether it a normal rain or calamity
Old 27th July 2005, 19:28   #9
BHPian

Hi..I just checked the Insurance policy (TATA-AIG General Insurance)..they have mentioned that they do cover car damages by flood,typhoons,hurricanes,cyclones..so,I guess insurance won't be a problem..hopefully..but lets just hope I don't have that much in damage as to get insurance people in between !..I think the area will be accessible by towing vehicles by tomorrow night hopefully..and will get FastTrack to tow it direct to Honda..
Also,just wanted to know - if the seats are drenched in water..how do the honda people tackle it?..?..they remove the entire seats,wash them and then dry them??..or something else?
Also,since the car stays in water for many hours,will that affect my fluid levels,brake fluid,auto transmission,engine oil,battery??..
Many cars were leaking petrol into the surrounding water..mine didn't(atleast I didn't find such petrol like liquid floating around the vehicle)..
Also,any of you guys staying at Sion?..somewhere near Everard Nagar?..I was askin because if someone is there,and if he/she could just go and check on the car whenever they get time,and tell me whether the road is accessible now for towing the car??..atleast I'm sure the water logging won't go off today..so,maybe tomorrow..
Thanks,
Suraj
Old 27th July 2005, 21:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Since flooding is common in Mumbai, take it to a mechanic/dealer who has dealt with this problem before and knows beforehand where the problem areas are. Since its under warranty, have them replace whatever is necessary including seats and carpet.
Old 27th July 2005, 21:48   #11
BHPian

it is under warranty..but I don't think damages caused by natural calamities are covered by warranty..though damages by such floods are covered under insurance..
I guess the water levels should be less by tomorrow,and will get the car towed directly to the Honda dealer.

Suraj
Old 27th July 2005, 22:59   #12
BHPian

It is a horrible time. i think when the water drains away lot of cars will be headed to the service station and they will be too busy fixing cars.
Old 28th July 2005, 20:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

same thing happened to my Santro. I was stranded in my car for more than 40 hours.There was water upto the seat level in my car when I was stranded a bit ahead of Dadar. A taxi in a lane next to me had water upto its handles. However the real cause of sadnesss should be the loss of lives in Mumbai. Close to 200 people have lost their lives. Also several animals have lost their lives. The cattle owners in certain areas were such b@$t@rds that they didnt untie their cattle before fleeing which caused the cattle to die. had they untied them the cattle could have easily swam and been saved. On a more positive note I would like to applaud the spirit of Mumbai. Everyone is out there helping out and several copmmunities(especially the jains and gujjus) have been giving out food and water to those stranded. Transport companies have lent their trucks out to transport those stranded. I hope and pray that everyone reaches home safely and fewer lives are lost.

If anyone needs their carpets cleaned there is a company called Hindustan Carpet Cleaners that will take care of the interiors of the car including the seats and the door trim etc. They also do sofas.Those whose cars or houses were submerged can call them to rectify the problem. Their telephone number is 26820804 ? 26823693

PS I am in Powai and if anyone has any relatives or friends stuck whom I can help please let me know

JAI MAHARASHTRA
JAI MUMBAI
Old 28th July 2005, 21:28   #14
BHPian

hey srasania,sorry to hear bout your car,i dont know about the NHC but water did enter my indica till about the hand brake,it started oozing in from the handbrake and gear portions also(wat ever you call them)my sis and mom were in the car and returning home from bandra and they said that they were lucky that the moved out or the water level would have risen and drenched the seats(the water level outside was a little over the knees at that time)but luckily the car did not do any nakhras and it kept moving(the first time my mom and sis were proud of the car!)and no fluid or anything leaked(the driver had to keep revving the engine to prevent back suction and prevent water entering the exhaust)hope your car is fine though

Last edited by vandan : 28th July 2005 at 21:30.
Old 28th July 2005, 22:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

if u did not start your car ,then i dont think u shud face any problems.the car shu dstart.but water may have entered the exhaust ,so before starting you can call up Honda and enquire.

see if your air intake has got water in it,before you start as water inside the air intake can casue irrepairable damage to the engine

i think you should go for a n underbody anti rust treatment ,as your car was in water for such a long time.

and .....do keep us posted on the developments

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks