Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 10:10   #16
BHPian

I had a ticket (Rs. 100/-) for talking on the phone while driving at some signal in JP nagar. I know my driver had never been there at all. There was however a 50% possibility of him being around at JB nagar. There was a chance of error while entering the data into the system. To avoid any issues, we paid the fine as it was not worth the time and effort to dig deeper.
Old 19th October 2009, 11:02   #17
BHPian

Just a thought - you know the cops come out on year end and month end as they have to meet some collection deadlines and raise money. Now I can imagine, them sending thousand 100-200rs fine notices. Now if 999 of those 1000 ppl paid the fine, as its not worth their time and effort, they make a cool 1-2 lacs. The system certainly makes it easier for them to not slog on the road on month ends, doesn't it :-)
I am not saying this happens, but there is potential for abuse. And the example of 1000 notices is nothing - they can stagger it and send 1000 per day and make 30-60 lacs per month!
Old 20th October 2009, 16:32   #18
BHPian

The worst cameras are placed near BEL Circle. Inspite the ongoing traffic it still keeps on clicking. I have noticed this many a times. The best is the outer ring road near to Hennur. If you are below 60 no issues. If you cross 60 there you go give a smile while it takes the pictures.
Old 20th October 2009, 17:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _abhishek View Post
Dont think this is a scam.

Now a days, there are cameras installed in all major junctions. You can go to the police station and ask for the proof for jumping the signal. Its only when they have video evidence, they send the notice. If they have written the number manually, they wont send any notice.
Not always necessary. Once I got two memos from B'lore traffic police saying my car was parked on No Parking area at sampangi road, malleshwaram and second one saying I jumped signal at MG Road. For which they claim they have video evidence. To check the evidence I went to the police station located at the top floor of the Public Utility Building. Even after waiting for 1 hour they didn't find the videos to prove their claim.
Old 20th October 2009, 18:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
To check the evidence I went to the police station located at the top floor of the Public Utility Building. Even after waiting for 1 hour they didn't find the videos to prove their claim.
so you can just challenge them and the onus is on them to prove and if they can't they cancel the challan? Did the cancel the 2 challans in your case?
Old 21st October 2009, 14:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
so you can just challenge them and the onus is on them to prove and if they can't they cancel the challan? Did the cancel the 2 challans in your case?
jassi, I went there to check the evidence, not to challenge them. And I made it very clear to the police person in the counter that I want to check the video before paying the fine, as I was sure that neither had I parked my car on NO Parking area nor I jumped the signal. After 1 hour of search he canceled both the challans.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:50   #22
Team-BHP Support

I guess that is the beauty of the system, Innocent till proven guilty.

Imran good job. I hope what you have done serves as an inspiration to all of us.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
I had a ticket (Rs. 100/-) for talking on the phone while driving at some signal in JP nagar. I know my driver had never been there at all. There was however a 50% possibility of him being around at JB nagar. There was a chance of error while entering the data into the system. To avoid any issues, we paid the fine as it was not worth the time and effort to dig deeper.
This is how it works for the police department. Most of the people think its not worth the effort to verify the offence before paying the fine.
We should be aware that by doing this we are actually supporting then in collecting false fines.

Its high time we stop these cops from abusing us.
It would take consideriable time and effort to get the details checked before paying the fine, but believe me, if you are sure you havent done the offence then its worth taking the effort.

For every fine you pay/offence you do, the data is entered in their server to keep track. So why do we have to take the blame for offence not done by us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
Not always necessary. Once I got two memos from B'lore traffic police saying my car was parked on No Parking area at sampangi road, malleshwaram and second one saying I jumped signal at MG Road. For which they claim they have video evidence. To check the evidence I went to the police station located at the top floor of the Public Utility Building. Even after waiting for 1 hour they didn't find the videos to prove their claim.
Good work Imran.
If everyone goes to verify the details then i feel police will stop imposing false fines.
Old 21st October 2009, 17:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

What happens if we don't pay the fine when we receive the challans by post?

Almost every two weeks, I keep receiving a challan in the name of a lady who had rented my house before. She used to drive a Corolla and had bought it when she was staying here. I had tried to contact her for the first few times regarding this, but was not successful.

I don't think that the lady knows that there are 'n' number of challans issued in her name every few weeks. She has not changed her address in the RTO, because I am still receiving the challans by post. I do not think she has paid off any fine. I haven't received any notices at my house for not paying the fine.

PS: Maybe she knows that she is a habitual offender and goes to the police station to check for violations and pays the fines
Old 21st October 2009, 19:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
But yes, police cannot stop you to check papers etc. anymore. They can only stop you if you are committing an offence like speeding, rash driving, no number plate etc.
Rule is applicable only to traffic police, or the regular cops too? And, is this nationwide, or just in Blr?
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Rule is applicable only to traffic police, or the regular cops too? And, is this nationwide, or just in Blr?
This rule in Bangalore is according to the Karnataka State Road Transportation Act. I'm not sure if such a rule is there nationwide. Different states may have different views on this.

I think it is for all the cops, regular & traffic. But, I have seen regular cops checking papers at night in Bangalore
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

The FAQ section in BTP site clearly mentions that they are not supposed to stop someone just merely to check documents unless you are violating the law(jumping signal, no helmet, seatbelt etc.)
Here is the link,
Bangalore City Traffic Police
Following are the points taken from the site,
Will policemen stop me for checking the documents?

All the police officers have been clearly told not to stop the motorists merely for checking the documents. Only when the motorist has committed some traffic violations, he can be stopped, documents checked and penalized for non-possession. There are strict instructions against police men stopping the vehicles unless you commit some traffic violation.

Who can receive payment of spot fine?

Only Asst. Sub-Inspector (one star), Police Sub-Inspector (two star) and Police Inspector (three star) are authorized to receive payments against violation and issue a receipt. No Police Constable or head constable can issue a receipt and therefore receive a payment. They can however record the violations on the basis of which violation ticket will follow. This ticket can be settled at any of the traffic police stations or Bangalore-One center or on Bangalore Traffic Police website. Incase a Constable or Head Constable threatens you with spot fine, insist on getting receipt and the chances are that he will let you go because he is not authorized to issue a receipt or receive money.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:38   #28
BHPian

I liked this part - how do i get this master pass

What document am I expected to carry?
You are expected to carry original driving license and insurance certificate. In addition transport vehicles like bus, taxi and auto rickshaws are expected to carry permit and fitness certificate. These documents should be produced for inspection if asked for by the police officer.
Can I avoid carrying all these documents?
Yes. As per rule 87 (5) of Karnataka Motor Vehicle Rules, there is a provision of getting MASTER PASS for two/three/four wheelers from RTO which is a proof that the driver has all valid documents i.e. certificate of registration, taxation card, insurance certificate and driving license. In case one is carrying Master Pass he need not carry above documents. For transport vehicles like buses and lorry etc SPEED PASS can be obtained from RTO which is a proof that one has valid registration certificate, taxation card, fitness certificate, insurance certificate and permit etc. In case one is carrying Speed Pass he need not carry above documents.

Note from Team BHP Support
Post edited as it contained multiple font tags

Last edited by bblost : 22nd October 2009 at 14:48. Reason: font tags
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:40   #29
BHPian

Believe Jassi got his MASTER PASS now :-}
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:45   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Believe Jassi got his MASTER PASS now :-}
No he is still a Bachelor i guess