Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2009, 08:31   #1
BHPian

Bangalore Traffic Fine Scam??

Hi BHPians,

Recently I received a memo stating that I had jumped traffic signal at Kodigehalli Cross @ 1920 hrs on Aug 25.

I have not even been to Kodigehalli cross or nearby area for a long time (not to BIAL too) and I was shocked to see the notice. I did complain about this on their website but no reply has been received for past 1.5 weeks.

Moreover, while logging to their website it showed me the time as 12AM for Jumping traffic signal.

I stay at Basaveshwaranagar and rarely go to that area. Do you think this is a new scam?
Old 17th October 2009, 09:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Hi BHPians,

Recently I received a memo stating that I had jumped traffic signal at Kodigehalli Cross @ 1920 hrs on Aug 25.

I have not even been to Kodigehalli cross or nearby area for a long time (not to BIAL too) and I was shocked to see the notice. I did complain about this on their website but no reply has been received for past 1.5 weeks.

Moreover, while logging to their website it showed me the time as 12AM for Jumping traffic signal.

I stay at Basaveshwaranagar and rarely go to that area. Do you think this is a new scam?
Since they note down the number manually (no photographs and such), they might have done a mistake while doing so.
Old 17th October 2009, 10:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Since they note down the number manually (no photographs and such), they might have done a mistake while doing so.
I thought the same till I received a second notice . I assure you I have totally racked my brains to check if I was there or not and it is negative. This time for Vittal Nagraj road.

I was wondering if this is a new way to make money from them.

Indy
Old 17th October 2009, 11:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I thought the same till I received a second notice . I assure you I have totally racked my brains to check if I was there or not and it is negative. This time for Vittal Nagraj road.

Indy
Dont think this is a scam.

Now a days, there are cameras installed in all major junctions. You can go to the police station and ask for the proof for jumping the signal. Its only when they have video evidence, they send the notice. If they have written the number manually, they wont send any notice.

Since you have got it second time, its better you get in touch with police and get it clarified. Hope no one else is driving with you number.
Old 17th October 2009, 11:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

Maybe someone is running their car with your number plates.

Cheap lowlifes do that.

Last edited by bblost : 17th October 2009 at 12:38.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Indy
Go to their office, wherever it is and ask them to show proof. If it is indeed your vehicle, you pay up. Else, ask them to go after the real culprit.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

A similar incident happened to me too ! Got a notice for my Omni for jumping the signal from a place where I had never even been to in that entire month ! However, decided to pay the fine online (Rs.100/-) instead of wasting more time, money and efforts in trying to justify the wrong notice issued. As a fellow bhpian mentioned, it is quite possible that while recording the violation, a typographical (read writing) error could have occured.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you haven't done already, try sending e-mails to the ones listed on - Bangalore City Traffic Police

I think the traffic control centre at the 1st floor Ashoknagar PS close to Garuda Mall is responsible for the fines based on the camera system, you might go and have a word there. They also keep proof of the captured offence.
Old 17th October 2009, 13:59   #9
BHPian

Thanks all for your replies.

I will go and check with them.

Paying fine is not the issue, I was just concerned as some of you mentioned:

1. Some maniac running around with same plates

2. Error from Police in printing/writing the Car #

3. Since SC has directed police to not to stop vehicles at the roadside unless a person has commit offense/ break rules .. may a new pattern will emerge of making money.

Will check with them and update. Thanks again.

Indy
Old 17th October 2009, 14:04   #10
BANNED

Quote:
3. Since SC has directed police to not to stop vehicles at the roadside unless a person has commit offense/ break rules .. may a new pattern will emerge of making money.

Indy
Slightly off topic. but can you tell more on this?
Old 17th October 2009, 14:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for your replies.

I will go and check with them.

Paying fine is not the issue, I was just concerned as some of you mentioned:

1. Some maniac running around with same plates

2. Error from Police in printing/writing the Car #

Will check with them and update. Thanks again.

Indy
Also check, the car model and color. I guess they will have this info as well. If the number and model and color doesnt match with your car details, then something is wrong.
Old 17th October 2009, 14:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea1979 View Post
Slightly off topic. but can you tell more on this?
I think its only in Bangalore. Not other cities. But yes, police cannot stop you to check papers etc. anymore. They can only stop you if you are committing an offence like speeding, rash driving, no number plate etc.
Old 17th October 2009, 14:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...memo stating that I had jumped traffic signal...@ 1920 hrs on Aug 25.
...their website it showed me the time as 12AM for Jumping traffic signal.
Discrepancy between the times as shown on the challan and on the website for the same offence? Take a printout and you have a reason to argue your case. Also, by Supreme Court directives (IIRC), all challans are to have details of the motor vehicles (car make, model and colour) noted when issuing the notice. In Delhi, it appears as a code (such as M-3, C-2) at the bottom right corner of the challan. You are within your rights to enquire what make, model and colour of vehicle the notice was issued against, if such a code is not understandable by you.

If the details don't match, your notice is cancelled.
Old 19th October 2009, 09:33   #14
BHPian

yeah this has happened with me twice before - one notice was for 2 years back for wrong parking in indra nagar and at that time of the year I was in US for 2 weeks, 2nd time notice was for jumping some signal in a place where I had never been to or heard of. I went and paid the fine (150rs) both times as I wasn't sure how much time I will waste if I started to challenge their decision.
Mostly an error while noting number. However I do not agree on the model, make and color matching stuff anymore, because anyone can just get that info online or sms and so can cops. They have it in their system, so they just note the number I guess and rest of the details come from their system - I saw this recently at HAL police station as I had gone there for a parking violation fine I got on wind tunnel road.
Old 19th October 2009, 09:54   #15
BANNED

I also got one such notice for taking a turn where it is not allowed but frankly don't remember having done that. Moreover the notice comes for a violation supposedly done 6 months in the past. This could be new scheme to meet their targets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks