Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 15:11   #871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Did your lean mass change? Weight is not the be-all barometer. Have your pants loosened up? Do you FEEL fitter?
I feel fitter yes! But my pants fit still the same and I can't see much difference in the body other than beefing up on the upper body a bit (muscle).

My eating habits are normal, eat 4 small meals daily, hardly any alcohol, the only problem being dinner is normally late and consists of 2 chapatis and dal / curry. 95% of my meals are home cooked.

Would love to have some suggestions from experts here a any help with be appreciated. Lately am feeling quite sad as efforts aren't paying off :(
Old 18th September 2013, 15:43   #872
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Lately am feeling quite sad as efforts aren't paying off :(
Could you give more details such as your height and weight?

And for the quoted part -

Be patient - Just forget about checking your weight constantly. Focus on your training. When you get out of the gym daily, check with yourself whether you pushed yourself to failure in every workout. To put it in other words, Train Hard daily. There is no easy way. Each body is unique, some yield immediate results, some may take time. Losing weight and Body building is a long learning process.

I joined gym when I was 17 and I'm a regular for the past 11years. Have seen all varieties of people in this duration. Sadly, 98% of them miss out at least one of Patience, Perseverance and Dedication.

Trust me, if you can sustain the above 3 for over a period of many years, you will build a physique that will make you stand apart and the benefits of it are immeasurable.
Old 18th September 2013, 15:50   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

Could you give more details such as your height and weight?

And for the quoted part -

Be patient - Just forget about checking your weight constantly. Focus on your training. When you get out of the gym daily, check with yourself whether you pushed yourself to failure in every workout. To put it in other words, Train Hard daily. There is no easy way. Each body is unique, some yield immediate results, some may take time. Losing weight and Body building is a long learning process.

I joined gym when I was 17 and I'm a regular for the past 11years. Have seen all varieties of people in this duration. Sadly, 98% of them miss out at least one of Patience, Perseverance and Dedication.

Trust me, if you can sustain the above 3 for over a period of many years, you will build a physique that will make you stand apart and the benefits of it are immeasurable.
Thanks. I am 5'10" and weigh around 80 or 81 kgs. This weight has been now consistent for a while and not reducing at all. I do try and mix cardio and weight training but sadly haven't seen results. I feel that my bmi ain't fast enough (also told by some coaches who jut keep discouraging to ensure that I start taking personal training from them). If there is any particular schedule that can be suggested by someone that I can follow, I will be sure that at least I tried the right thing a right now doing what I think is right.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:08   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I am 5'10" and weigh around 80 or 81 kgs. This weight has been now consistent for a while and not reducing at all. I do try and mix cardio and weight training but sadly haven't seen results. I feel that my bmi ain't fast enough (also told by some coaches who jut keep discouraging to ensure that I start taking personal training from them). If there is any particular schedule that can be suggested by someone that I can follow, I will be sure that at least I tried the right thing a right now doing what I think is right.
Well if you want to reduce the flab what you need is long slow cardio with heart rate between 130-140 at-least 3-4 times in a week. Slow and long cardio workout is required to burn visceral fat.

Try 45 minutes running at speed of 8 or elliptic exercise for 45 minutes or better if there is any group class like Zumba or steps join it.

Continue your weight training regimen as it is.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:17   #875
BHPian

Quote:

You said you are overweight by 7kg, but you have mentioned your weight to be around 80kg. Is that right?

Because, as per your height, ideally you should be 78kg (5'10" is 177.8cm) and +/- 2kg is perfectly Ok.

Clarify the above, probably then I can chart out a diet and workout plan for you.
Old 19th September 2013, 23:35   #876
BHPian

I need some help and guidance now. I am trying to get back into shape and would need to reduce 20-23Kg
I have been lifting for the past 6 years, in between had a break for around 15 months. (This incidentally was the major catalyst for my weight gain)

I have started lifting an year back. I have a pathological hatred towards cardio (courtesy broken ankles on both legs), but have started running since the last 3 months as well.

This is my current workout plan.
Running (M-F @ 0700) - 3.5 Mile in around 35-38 mins.
Weight Training (M-F any time between 1400 and 1600) - 1-1.15 hrs (Alternate muscle groups, I take as little rest as possible and at the end of the workout I am literally dead. I keep my rep count between 15-20 and do 4 sets using Moderate to Heavy Weight..
Boxing(Tue and Fri @ 1915) - 1 hour.

I am strictly watching my diet and avoid all carbs/Junk.
Diet
- BFast (0800) - Fruit(Apple/Banana) and 2 Slices Whole grain bread with Peanut Butter
- Mid Day(1030)- Snack - Protein Bar
- Lunch(1230) - 1 Cup Rice + Veggies(boiled) or 3 Rotis + Veggies
- Mid Evening(1500) - Fruit + Almonds.
- Dinner (2000) - Protein Shake (Syntha 6 or Gold Standard) in 2% Low Fat Milk with a spoon of Peanut butter.

I am 5'11 and Weigh 97 Kg and am 29 years.

What am I doing wrong? I have issues with Weight loss before, but atleast i was able to reduce 2KG/week before when i needed following a similar diet.

Would appreciate any advice for optimizing my workout/Diet plan

Last edited by ToroRosso : 19th September 2013 at 23:56.
Old 20th September 2013, 11:26   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
You said you are overweight by 7kg, but you have mentioned your weight to be around 80kg. Is that right? Because, as per your height, ideally you should be 78kg (5'10" is 177.8cm) and +/- 2kg is perfectly Ok. Clarify the above, probably then I can chart out a diet and workout plan for you.
Thanks. I checked my weight today. It's 81.4 kgs and my exact height is 5'9.2". I will really appreciate any help in this regard as I have tried whatever max I could but to no avail. Also despite working very hard on the workouts the waist has not come down by an inch even. Something which I have seen people loose quite fast.
Old 20th September 2013, 14:00   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I checked my weight today. It's 81.4 kgs and my exact height is 5'9.2".
By my calculations, your body mass index (BMI) is around 26. 20-25 is the "normal" range, 25-30 : overweight and 30+ is obese.
Quote:
I will really appreciate any help in this regard as I have tried whatever max I could but to no avail. Also despite working very hard on the workouts the waist has not come down by an inch even. Something which I have seen people loose quite fast.
Who are these "people" you are comparing with? I am about the same height as you and when I started the current round of weight reduction I was 100 kg (BMI= 32). Now am around 91 kg (BMI just slipped under 30). Needless to say it gets more difficult to get off once the "low hanging fruit" are taken care of. Plus, your muscle buildup (if you are working out) will contribute towards building your weight as well. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
You need to probably rid your mind of the mentality that watching your weight every single day will help you. Trust me, it won't. I only weigh myself once in 2 weeks these days. Otherwise the normal ups-and-downs get to you to the point that you may get demotivated to keep going.

My advice: consult a dietician to work on a healthy balanced diet for you, go to gym 5 days a week for an hour each, hire a trainer if you think you need extra help, and just keep varying your exercise enough to keep it interesting and effective. I have a friend (about an inch taller than us) who has retained his 81 kg weight of 20 years ago to this day. He eats well but wisely and exercises every single day. I would easily trade places with him rather than flip-flop my way through 10-15 kg increases and decreases that I have experienced in the same period, multiple times!

Last edited by noopster : 20th September 2013 at 14:01.
Old 20th September 2013, 14:11   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I checked my weight today. It's 81.4 kgs and my exact height is 5'9.2". I will really appreciate any help in this regard as I have tried whatever max I could but to no avail. Also despite working very hard on the workouts the waist has not come down by an inch even. Something which I have seen people loose quite fast.
Diet is more important than workout (say 80-20). Make sure you are setting right the diet part before the workout (or more focus on diet). There were many useful messages on Diet in the earlier posts.
Old 20th September 2013, 14:44   #880
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to share my recent experience with the community:

March 2013 : I am 32 and was leading a happy life @93-94kgs/ 6ft. Then one day, my wife had an epiphany of sorts and pushed me and my mother to accompany her to a gym.

March - June 2013: At first reluctant, but I started liking the idea of going to a gym early in the morning before sunrise. The gym membership was mighty expensive, so we just didn't hire a private trainer and I concentrated on doing cardio. For three months, almost 5 days every week I would do cardio for about an hour or hour and fifteen minutes. I didn't follow any advice, I did it because I was enjoying it. In between I would notice that the machines would tell me that I burnt between 500-600 calories daily. Again I didn't aim for it, the calories burnt were incidental to me. At the end of 3 months of membership I was weighing 84kgs. But most excitedly, I tested myself and I could run 8 kms at a stretch and I was confident I could run 10kms at a stretch if pushed.

July - August 2013
: Somewhere down the line in the last 3 months I had gotten interested in getting my body to shape. I had & still have dollops of fat encircling my frame. Although my BMI tells me I am fit and I am fit enough to do a 10k anytime of the day, but this doesn't mean I have got a good body. Lots of fats in the belly, chest, under the arms, thighs etc. I downgraded to a gym which was more white collar and I could get a personal trainer. For two months, I would start by doing 30 mins of cardio, followed by a 45 mins to an hour long weight training session. I missed a lot of training in August due to various planned road trips. But I could start feeling fat loss around the areas that concerned me. My weight was almost stagnant but my waist reduced, as a result of considerable fat loss from the back area.

September 2013 : I am now beginning to feel - and just feel - the muscle built up in my body. From this week, the cardio has reduced to just 10 minutes with more focus on weight training & physical exercise.

So to summarize, in past six months I have lost 9-10 kgs. At the same time I achieved it mostly by doing regular cardio exercises. But since, July I have steadily decreased the amount of cardio and have started to focus on weight training. This has resulted in considerable inch loss, with my weight staying almost the same. I must mention here I have not changed my diet in any which way and I don't heed to any diet advice. The only change that I observed was a total BAN on outside food and packaged snacks/drinks. So I eat whatever is cooked in the house.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:47   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
He eats well but wisely and exercises every single day. I would easily trade places with him rather than flip-flop my way through 10-15 kg increases and decreases that I have experienced in the same period, multiple times!
Eating wisely and well and exercising daily is the secret. Which means he isn't losing out on the joy of eating, and the exercise is something he enjoys doing. That is the key to sustaining the right habits - they shouldn't be a penance, and needn't be. And yo yo weight change is more harmful to the body than being - to a point - overweight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Diet is more important than workout (say 80-20). Make sure you are setting right the diet part before the workout (or more focus on diet).
+1 to that. Eating right is the key. Exercise is for health and fitness, and for motivation to treat your body right by fuelling it appropriately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I must mention here I have not changed my diet in any which way and I don't heed to any diet advice. The only change that I observed was a total BAN on outside food and packaged snacks/drinks. So I eat whatever is cooked in the house.
The only change? It is a significant change, this ban, that not many are able to carry out.

Last edited by Sawyer : 20th September 2013 at 16:02.
Old 20th September 2013, 16:28   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The only change? It is a significant change, this ban, that not many are able to carry out.
To tell you the truth it is rather easy to implement for me. Firstly, I work from home, so that potentially cuts down your chances of going out and thus your cravings for outside food. Secondly, being witness to a couple of instances of battle with cancer in the family, especially involving people you love dearly, we as a family have been conscious of our dietary habits. Thirdly, when women outnumber men in the household, you are guaranteed that food cooked & served at home would taste & look delicious. And that just serves a killer blow to fast/street/read to eat food.
Old 20th September 2013, 18:23   #883
BHPian

If you are in the gym and on the lookout for weight loss/gain, then your diet and workouts should get equal importance(50:50). 80:20 works well if you are on the ideal weight category and continue to maintain it by adequate exercising.

Quote:
First up, and this is for everyone - Please don't fixate yourself to 3 or 4 sets and 10 or 12 reps category. By this way, you will be more focused to complete the sets and reps, rather than focusing on doing the exercises effectively.

I follow the following -

5 sets and 15 reps at least for the first 3 sets.

Say, if I'm working out bench press for chest, the following is what I do

1st set - Normal weight, not very light

2nd set - Medium weight, max possible weight without taking any help. 15 reps and not till failure, because you need to have energy to push heavier weights in the next sets

3rd set - Medium weight, max possible weight with little help, 15 reps or till failure

4th set - Heavy weight, with good support. I do min 8 reps here and till failure

5th set - Impossible weight, with lots of support. This is failure workout and will help you get used to higher weights. Unless you are getting used to higher impossible weights, you are never going to reach there.

My workout doesn't stop here, in case somewhere I feel I didn't do it hard, I re do them till I'm satisfied. A lot of occasions I have end up doing 7-9 sets. The idea is to do the workouts properly and till failure.

Intensity - I cannot stress enough on this. One can go to gym for very many years, can shout loudly while exercising, but unless the intensity is really high, improvements will only be minimum.

A general rule again - An 80kg guy after spending 2yrs in the gym, should be able to do 80kg for bench press. If he isn't able to do that, then he hasn't worked at the right intensity levels for the 2years.

Workout 5 days a week. Workout 2 body parts a day. 80% and 20% for primary workout and secondary workout respectively. Keep the rest period between workouts to minimum. If your body cools off, the workout will not be effective. Never miss a day. In case you miss out a couple of days on trot, start with compound exercises. And in general concentrate on compound exercises more.

Daily, at the max you can spend 1.5hours in the gym. Remember, if you are very regular, you can skip doing warm ups such as swinging arms, stretching legs, etc. You can directly start with your primary workout.

Also, if you are a working professional, it is better to workout in the evenings than in the mornings. Ideally though, working out in the morning is the best.

Now to diets.

I'm not going to tell you to eat Sprouts, eat Oats, and in general, foods that we are not normally used to have. Identify the nutritional values of the foods you like and eat(not the junks) and consume them in a way so that your body gets all the required nutrients from them. I come from body building background, so the protein value for each food I take is important for me. My list below for my favorite foods

Chicken 100g ~ 24g protein
1 Indian Egg White ~ 3.5g protein
1 Indian Egg Yolk ~ 3g of protein
100ml milk ~ 3g of protein

A General rule - 1g of protein for 1 kg of your weight and more than 1.3g of protein if you are into body building.

So if your ideal weight is to be 75kg. Have 75g of protein daily from different sources.

Have 5 meals a day. Cut your carbs to minimum, say overall 5-6 chappatis spread across the day. You might feel tired over the day, take fruits and a cup of coffee to keep you active. Avoid junk and aerated drinks. This doesn't mean you cannot indulge. Once you are on the right weight, you can indulge in all your favorite foods once in 2 weeks.

My diet -

Milk 500ml at 7am

5 eggs at 8am. You can avoid egg yolks for the moment. But remember, a life can start from egg yolk, so it is really nutritious.

At 11am, a small plate of Rawa Upma

At 1pm, 4 chappatis, 100g chicken and a cup of curd

At 4pm, Fruit salad and Tea

5.30 - 7.30pm, I workout

At 7.30pm, 200g of chicken

At 9pm, 4-5 egg whites

At 6'3" and 90kg I have the above regime. You can chart out your own regime, of course with little guidance from experts who can visually inspect you. Approaching a dietitian is a good idea, but it is very difficult to stick to their diet plan. My sister is a popular dietitian and a Ph.D. at that. She has vast experience and a popular clientele. But I've never consulted her. Reason - She is inherently tuned to suggest conservative diet plan to avoid any risks, and most of the food she suggests, you hardly feel like eating them. But yes, I do get my technical doubts cleared by her.

* some popular beliefs

- Body can absorb only around 20-25g of protein from single meal
- Best to have dinner before 7.30pm
- There should be at least 2 hours gap between consecutive meals
- 2hours gap between your last food intake and start of workout

Now, to your waist size that is not decreasing.

In body building, gents do carb loading during weekends i.e. They take a lot of carb rich food to generate enough energy for the week. And on Monday, they start with their weakest body part. Reason - You have lots of energy from the weekend and can really kill that weak body part. So, start off your Monday with workouts concentrating on your waist. Check with your trainer on the workouts you do. Remember it is not about the number of exercises you do for your waist line, it can be just 3 exercises, but should be done really effectively.

Remember - In gym, the best source for valuable information is from people who have been there and done that. Rest all is mostly crap. So identify the right person, most trainers generally talk crap. I never advice supplements and other shortcuts, with patience and perseverance weight loss/gain can be surely achieved, of course there will be exceptions if there are issues genetically.

Finally, I already stated this in some other post - You are your best tutor. A barbell curl can yield wonderful results to me but not to you. It is you who have to analyze how your body is reacting on what is being suggested/advised to you. If you are not seeing results, don't give up, rather alter your regimes after analyzing what worked out and what not. Do the workouts that yielded results, more.

And a tid bit - Working out in the gym reduces cortisol generation in your body. Cortisol is a substance that causes stress. That is the reason, you feel happy and positive after workouts.

Isn't it a wonderful reason to workout daily? So make hitting gym a habit. It is not just good for your mental and physical health, but it also keeps you happy.

Disclaimer - Everything I have written above is based on the general idea of weight gain/loss and body building. The onus is on each one to verify and consult with appropriate personals before considering adapting them

P.S: I'm sorry, I wanted to convey a lot more things, but I'm lazy and hate typing and this must be one of my longest posts here. Please feel free to ask specific questions if you have any.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 20th September 2013 at 18:25.
Old 20th September 2013, 20:05   #884
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the valuable bits of information cliffhanger. I appreciate the time you have taken to put this together. I will definitely try and follow what toy have said as much as I can. I will keep bothering you with some bits whenever I need some information. You mentioned about some exercises for the waist, any particular one you recommend? I was told by someone that doing cardio (mix of treadmill and cross trainer) would have an effect on the waist size, is that correct?). Thanks.

Mods can you please merge the threads. Due to an internet error they got duplicated. Thanks.

Last edited by storme'd : 20th September 2013 at 20:07.
Old 26th September 2013, 15:46   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the valuable bits of information cliffhanger. I appreciate the time you have taken to put this together. I will definitely try and follow what toy have said as much as I can. I will keep bothering you with some bits whenever I need some information. You mentioned about some exercises for the waist, any particular one you recommend? I was told by someone that doing cardio (mix of treadmill and cross trainer) would have an effect on the waist size, is that correct?). Thanks.

Mods can you please merge the threads. Due to an internet error they got duplicated. Thanks.
Any workout that can raise your heart beat count can be considered cardio. As I told you already, until I see you in person I will not be able to suggest specific workouts.

For basic cardio - you can do crunches that cover your sides as well. Also, if you were not concentrating on legs so far, start doing it. A strong lower body will give you a lot of strength while doing waist focused exercises.

Edit: Do waist focused exercises every alternate day, till it gets under control. With Monday taking 80% and rest all days taking 20%

Edit: Since you are more worried about your waist size. Split your primary workout to secondary workout ratio to 70:30

Last edited by CliffHanger : 26th September 2013 at 15:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks