Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 16:49   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I have a pathological hatred towards cardio (courtesy broken ankles on both legs), but have started running since the last 3 months as well.
If there is no pain in the ankles, I would highly recommend skipping. Build it up gradually and don't injure yourself trying to do too much right away. If weight loss is the aim, a number of short sprints is much better than gentle jogging.

I don't have a weight problem but I love swimming more than running as it does not cause any injury. Short sprints in the pool also help in shaping up and losing weight.
Old 27th September 2013, 17:19   #887
BANNED

Quote:
I am strictly watching my diet and avoid all carbs/Junk.
Diet
- BFast (0800) - Fruit(Apple/Banana) and 2 Slices Whole grain bread with Peanut Butter
- Mid Day(1030)- Snack - Protein Bar
- Lunch(1230) - 1 Cup Rice + Veggies(boiled) or 3 Rotis + Veggies
- Mid Evening(1500) - Fruit + Almonds.
- Dinner (2000) - Protein Shake (Syntha 6 or Gold Standard) in 2% Low Fat Milk with a spoon of Peanut butter.
You say you are avoiding "all carbs" but the diet doesn't seem like it's a diet avoiding "all carbs" - it doesn't even seem like it's low carb.

All these have a lot of carbs
- fruits
- Whole grain bread
- Protein Bars
- Rice
- Rotis
- Protein Shake
- Milk
Old 27th September 2013, 17:28   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
If weight loss is the aim, a number of short sprints is much better than gentle jogging.
Short sprints in the pool also help in shaping up and losing weight.
Thanks Sudipto - Infact, I am doing sprints instead of gentle jogging. May have to increase the intensity a bit. Swimming - well, eh not too sure if its at a swimming pool exposable level

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
You say you are avoiding "all carbs" but the diet doesn't seem like it's a diet avoiding "all carbs" - it doesn't even seem like it's low carb.
This could be it then. Could you suggest me carb free options that i can substitute with? Thanks much carboy.
Old 27th September 2013, 21:04   #889
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Sudipto - Infact, I am doing sprints instead of gentle jogging. May have to increase the intensity a bit. Swimming - well, eh not too sure if its at a swimming pool exposable level

This could be it then. Could you suggest me carb free options that i can substitute with? Thanks much carboy.
Just search for atkins Diet especially on You Tube. There is a good BBC Documentary. I am sure it will help especially if you are non veggie.
Old 27th September 2013, 21:27   #890
BANNED

Quote:
Are you vegetarian? If yes, low carb is very difficult. You can possibly do moderate carb if vegetarian.

In general - avoid all sugar, honey, all maida. Remember whenever a label says "wheat flour", it mostly means maida. Atta is usually referred to "Whole wheat flour".
Avoid all fruit juice or any soft drinks. Eat small amount of fruit instead.
Besan is very low glycemic - so that's very good.
Potatoes & beans are high carb.
Rice is high carb.
Reduce chappatis, reduce whole grain bread (though both are better than regular bread and maida based stuff).
Cheese, Butter etc are all good.
Meat & Eggs are very good.

If you like meat, then check out the sugar busters diet.
Old 27th September 2013, 21:49   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Just search for atkins Diet especially on You Tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are you vegetarian? If yes, low carb is very difficult. You can possibly do moderate carb if vegetarian.

Thanks idea, Carboy

I am a Vegetarian by Force, Prettier half is pure Vegetarian and no Non Veg is allowed in the house.

I do tend to avoid all processed foods and sugars, potatoes.

What would be the optimal substitute for Rice/Roti?
Old 27th September 2013, 21:53   #892
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks idea, Carboy

I am a Vegetarian by Force, Prettier half is pure Vegetarian and no Non Veg is allowed in the house.
You should then try to eat meat & eggs whenever you are eating out.

Quote:
What would be the optimal substitute for Rice/Roti?
Less rice, less roti :-)
Old 29th September 2013, 22:58   #893
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the diet, your insistence on anaerobic exercise (weight lifting) isn't helping in your weight loss plan. If weight reduction is the idea you have got to adopt more aerobic exercises like sprints, skipping, cycling etc - exercises where you are left panting and sweating. Just weight lifting in a static position isn't going to burn your fats out. Your muscles will get stronger no doubt. Think of all the weightlifters and shot putters or hammer throwers in Olympics. They don't look very sculpted or fat free. Their muscles are super strong though and generate tremendous power in bursts. You want the body of a long distance runner. Think Mo Farah instead of the Vikas Gowda :-)
Old 30th September 2013, 08:05   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Just weight lifting in a static position isn't going to burn your fats out.
Er. May be I wasn't clear, I do run daily 5-6km and weight train during later in the day. My weight training is not static workout, its compound full body work out along with strength training. In addition, I do boxing twice a week. For some reason, I ve seem to hit a wall as far weightloss is concerned.
I guess, I may have to be a lot more strict on the diet, and go a bit more aerobic.

Last edited by ToroRosso : 30th September 2013 at 08:07.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:46   #895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the diet, your insistence on anaerobic exercise (weight lifting) isn't helping in your weight loss plan.
I agree that cardio is important but it's a myth that weight training does not aid in weight loss. Here's why. Copy-pasting the relevant bits here:

Quote:
The first reason weight lifting is a good option for fat loss is because it boosts metabolic rate both over the short term as well as over the long term. In the hours after an intense weight-lifting session you will experience an increase in metabolic rate. What’s more, weight lifting will help you maintain your total amount of lean muscle mass, creating a permanent increase in metabolism.
Quote:
The second reason to choose weight lifting for fat loss purposes is because, while cardio may make you lose weight, weight lifting will help you lose body fat, altering your body composition. Many individuals who just hop on the treadmill to lose the pounds don’t end up looking much different -- even if they do successfully lose 10 to 20 pounds. This is because they still have the same proportion of muscle mass to body fat; they are just "smaller."
Weight training will help change the way you look completely, giving the impression that you’ve replaced fat with muscle and are actually working at improving your body and changing your body composition.
Skim over the marketing talk but there is some truth there. One more reason (psychological) is that plain cardio is just boring. Weight and strength training are much more involving, challenging and fun. Also, a full-body workout can make you feel like a million dollars afterwards.

Last edited by noopster : 30th September 2013 at 10:49. Reason: Added source
Old 30th September 2013, 12:49   #896
Senior - BHPian

I think the best approach is a combination of the two, though personally I am a little biased in favour of outdoor activities. And boredom is really a relative thing. Many people like running, cycling and swimming etc (outdoors and not the artificial machines in the gym). I am certainly one of them. But I agree that one must do what one likes. If you force yourself to do something against your wish it's not sustainable.

At the end of the day, weight loss will happen only when you burn more calories than you take in.
Old 30th September 2013, 17:16   #897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you force yourself to do something against your wish it's not sustainable.
Golden words those. Unfortunately there are people (like me) with a well-developed aversion to organised exercise. All we can do is bite the bullet and find a routine/regimen that we don't actually hate. And then drag our butts there EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Old 30th September 2013, 23:08   #898
BHPian

It's not advisable to go on a weight loss regime purely with aerobic activities (plus, of course, an inappropriate diet). Strength training with weights is important to not pose a danger to your bone density.

Here's more in this topic: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0728193227.htm
Old 4th October 2013, 14:44   #899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I agree that cardio is important but it's a myth that weight training does not aid in weight loss. Here's why. Copy-pasting the relevant bits here:

Skim over the marketing talk but there is some truth there. One more reason (psychological) is that plain cardio is just boring. Weight and strength training are much more involving, challenging and fun. Also, a full-body workout can make you feel like a million dollars afterwards.
Totally agree ,another reason is that for people who have lost a lot of weight and are left with loose skin weight training is the best way to tone up and get in shape. I lost around 23kgs in my journey and now i do a mix of cardio and weight lifting ,target a different body part each day for overall development and the results are slowly starting to show.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 4th October 2013 at 14:47.
Old 4th October 2013, 22:36   #900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post

I lost around 23kgs in my journey and now i do a mix of cardio and weight lifting ,target a different body part each day for overall development and the results are slowly starting to show.
Whoa! Tell us your story please! 23 kg is amazing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks