Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2019, 13:57   #2386
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Good to see so much info on IF and how it has helped a lot of BHPians.

I've been on IF for the last six months. Have seen my weight drop from 78 to 74 kgs. Just wanted some advice on getting rid of that last bit of stubborn stomach fat.

A little about me:

I am 32, 182 cms tall and weigh 74 kgs. I am a marathon runner and I run at least 4 times a week, with 1 long run on Sunday.

Now I am a lean guy, exactly how you would picture a long-distance runner to be like. But I have been unable to get rid of my stomach fat. There's that annoying bit of fat that doesn't seem to go away. Now I am not too particular of my diet, but I do try to eat healthy-ish.

I eat 3 meals a day -- Lunch at 1pm (2 rotis, sabji, dal), Evening snack at 6pm (usually 2 eggs), and Dinner at 8pm (2 rotis, sabji, dal). This is also accompanied by having alcohol 1-2 times a week, just about 2-3 large drinks.

Now I've been thinking of reducing rotis and increasing the intake of dal/sabji.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get rid of my stomach fat?
Old 16th September 2019, 17:10   #2387
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Running is not going to bring down the belly fat. I think at some point in time
fat from only that part of body burns which is usually exercised.

You may have to stretch and/or look at other exercise options which effects the belly.
Old 16th September 2019, 17:36   #2388
Senior - BHPian

Is it so? I thought you cannot spot reduce fat. Excercising the belly is only going to tone the muscles there which may help in looking like less fat but does it reduce fat in belly?

Only way to get a flat stomach is to have ultra low body fat % specially in people prone to store fat in their bellies. No?
Old 16th September 2019, 17:46   #2389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Now I have started IF from 12th Sep. 5 pm to 9 am. Starting weight 98.5 kg
Target weight is 68 Kg. Hoping to see that number on the scales soon!
All the best with your fitness journey. You will definitely be able to reach your goal weight with IF and clean eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Also, what's your take on black chana, chhole and rajma? Or maybe soya bean chunks? Can these be eaten in moderation as an evening snack?
In a strict low carb diet, pulses like channa and rajma are not allowed due to their carb content. But for your diet, I would say they are good snacking alternates. I would avoid Soya because all Soy products are mostly highly processed.

Quote:
I've been on IF for the last six months. Have seen my weight drop from 78 to 74 kgs. Just wanted some advice on getting rid of that last bit of stubborn stomach fat.

There are no exercises to burn fat. You have to make your body to use fat as energy source. And the last layer of fat around the waist is the most stubborn and needs a lot of effort to lose. A few thoughts based on the fact that you are already a runner.

1. Do you run in your fasting window? If yes, skip this point. If not, start running during your fasting window. In the beginning, it will be a little difficult to run long distances in fasted state as you will tend to hit the wall quickly. This is because your body is used to burning glucose as energy for the runs. After a couple of runs, your body will learn to use fat as energy source. Dependig on your fitness levels, you should be able to run 60 to 90 minutes in fasted state. Start doing runs less than 60 minutes in fasted state. Then you can gradually increase the distance.
2. What is the intensity you usually run? If you can include a couple of days of interval training in fasted state, you will burn through your liver glycogen quickly and this will result in the body switching to burn fat during the remaining fasting period.
3. If you are already running in fasted state, do you take any supplements during run? Even zero sugar electrolytes will have a little amount of carbs that can break your fast. If you take any electrolyte, completely avoid it. Just take water during the runs. Consider using electrolytes only for the long runs on Sundays.
4. Add strength training to your training schedule. Strength training will help build lean muscles. Lean muscles in turn increase your metabolism and will result in your body burning up fat.
Old 16th September 2019, 19:05   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Completed 4 weeks of IF. Had abandoned keto after 8 days since ketosis had not started and following a vegetarian keto diet was proving difficult.

Result after 4 weeks: Weight: 106 kgs (Down 6.1 kgs)
: Tummy: 46.5 inches (Down 2.5 inches)

Are these results okay? Or too fast to be sustainable?
After 5 weeks:
Weight: 106.2 kgs
tummy: 47 "

I increased the exercise during the 5th week to totally 7 hours walk, 1 hour weights and 1 hour misc. ( 9 hours)Yet the weight has shown no decrease. (Earlier the total exercise per week was ~6 hours)

Could someone please explain what's wrong? Is it water retention?
Old 16th September 2019, 19:33   #2391
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Is it so? I thought you cannot spot reduce fat. Excercising the belly is only going to tone the muscles there which may help in looking like less fat but does it reduce fat in belly?

Only way to get a flat stomach is to have ultra low body fat % specially in people prone to store fat in their bellies. No?
I agree. I just meant, once; one has gone down the weight loss curve, the last few ounces of fat may not directly go away. Like you mention, either they need to convert to muscle and should go down as an overall percentage. Hence my comment that running alone may not help in that part.
Old 16th September 2019, 20:28   #2392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Could someone please explain what's wrong? Is it water retention?
There could be so many reasons for a plateau. Need more details to find out the reason.

Can you give more details on how your day looks like?

1. What is your fasting and feeding time?
2. What do you eat during the feeding hours? Give a complete list of what you eat, how much you eat and when you eat.
3. What do you take during fasting hours?
4. When do you workout? In fasted state or during the feeding hours?
Old 16th September 2019, 21:52   #2393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
All the best with your fitness journey. You will definitely be able to reach your goal weight with IF and clean eating
Thanks!

Any idea about work out during the final hours of the fast?

Today's ride, I was a bit out of confidence, because of the empty stomach. It wasn't the usual 'resuming after a long time' kind of ride. Today, it was a bit more tricky I would say.

Is it risky, or will I get used to it? Cause cycling is the only thing I do, and one can cycle only in the morning here in Mumbai. After that it's a strict no-no.

Plan to join the gym later, only cycling and probably walking for now.
Old 16th September 2019, 22:33   #2394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can try out multiple options. You can do middle of the fasting window or even at end. End works very well too. If you can manage it nothing like it.
Old 17th September 2019, 06:21   #2395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks!

Today's ride, I was a bit out of confidence, because of the empty stomach. It wasn't the usual 'resuming after a long time' kind of ride. Today, it was a bit more tricky I would say.

Is it risky, or will I get used to it? Cause cycling is the only thing I do, and one can cycle only in the morning here in Mumbai. After that it's a strict no-no.

Plan to join the gym later, only cycling and probably walking for now.
As ampere has mentioned, workout near the end of fasting window is good. Feeling uncomfortable during the workout is your body sending you a signal that it needs glucose to burn. You have to persist for a few days for the body to realize it is not getting any glucose for the workout and start mobilizing fat for energy.

During this transition phase, limit your cycling to low intensity. Take it easy while riding, take breaks and start with smaller rides. As you start getting used to the rides in fasted state, then you can resume your regular intensity and distance.

In the beginning, during your workouts, suddenly you will feel as if you hit a wall. This is when you run out of glycogen. Then in about 5 minutes, you will feel energy coming back and you will be able to resume. This is when your body has switched to fat.

I have clearly experienced this when I started running in fasted state. At about 5km, I would feel as if I couldn't run anymore. I would then reduce the intensity and do a slow jog. And by the 6th km, I would feel energy levels going back to normal.

So start easy and slowly build up your workouts.

PS: As I have mentioned in a previous post, I prefer working out about 12 hour into the fasting window. This is when insulin levels would have become zero. And with exercise, the body will deplete the liver glycogen quickly. And post workout, for the remaining fasting period, body will have only fat for energy and this will result in better fat burning. But from your timing, this may not be possible, unless you do your rides at 5 in the morning.
Old 17th September 2019, 07:18   #2396
Team-BHP Support

I donated blood when I was in IF yesterday, didn't feel a thing, but post donation, was forced to consume an apple juice (packed) post that. There were biscuits and fried nuts which I declined.

Took proper meal after 8 PM, had donated at 9 AM.

And I haven't lost much weight, still :(.
Old 17th September 2019, 07:26   #2397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And I haven't lost much weight, still :(.
Can you describe how your day looks like (if you have done this earlier, then a link to your post would be good)? What time do you fast, what do you take during fasting, what do you eat during the feeding window etc.? Once you get near your target weight, progress is usually painfully slow.
Old 17th September 2019, 07:55   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can try out multiple options. You can do middle of the fasting window or even at end. End works very well too. If you can manage it nothing like it.
Quote:
As ampere has mentioned, workout near the end of fasting window is good. Feeling uncomfortable during the workout is your body sending you a signal that it needs glucose to burn. You have to persist for a few days for the body to realize it is not getting any glucose for the workout and start mobilizing fat for energy.

So start easy and slowly build up your workouts.

Understood. So I'll go about slowly increasing the intensity and distance of my rides.

Quote:
PS: As I have mentioned in a previous post, I prefer working out about 12 hour into the fasting window. This is when insulin levels would have become zero. And with exercise, the body will deplete the liver glycogen quickly. And post workout, for the remaining fasting period, body will have only fat for energy and this will result in better fat burning. But from your timing, this may not be possible, unless you do your rides at 5 in the morning.
Well if working out into the 12th hour is ideal, then all I need to do is switch from 5 pm to 9am to 6 pm to 10 am. That should do it, cause I leave for my rides latest by 5.50 - 6.00 am.

Thank you very much for the advice!
Old 17th September 2019, 08:41   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Running is not going to bring down the belly fat. I think at some point in time fat from only that part of body burns which is usually exercised.

You may have to stretch and/or look at other exercise options which effects the belly.
Thanks! I'll look into this.

Quote:
1. Do you run in your fasting window?
Most of my runs start around 5-5:30 am and my last meal is at 8 pm the previous day. I am not sure if this is in my fasting window?

Quote:
2. What is the intensity you usually run? If you can include a couple of days of interval training in fasted state, you will burn through your liver glycogen quickly and this will result in the body switching to burn fat during the remaining fasting period.
I have one interval training or VO2MAX run every week, so that's high intensity stuff. Two mid-week runs are medium intensity and my Sunday long-run is also medium (occasionally low intensity).

Quote:
3. If you are already running in fasted state, do you take any supplements during run? Even zero sugar electrolytes will have a little amount of carbs that can break your fast. If you take any electrolyte, completely avoid it. Just take water during the runs. Consider using electrolytes only for the long runs on Sundays.
Electrolyte/Gel usage is restricted to only long runs.

Quote:
4. Add strength training to your training schedule. Strength training will help build lean muscles. Lean muscles in turn increase your metabolism and will result in your body burning up fat.
That's what's missing from my life. I usually do some basic body weight stuff 2-3 times a week like push-ups, planks, dips etc.
Old 17th September 2019, 10:42   #2400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am a marathon runner and I run at least 4 times a week, with 1 long run on Sunday.

I eat 3 meals a day -- Lunch at 1pm (2 rotis, sabji, dal), Evening snack at 6pm (usually 2 eggs), and Dinner at 8pm (2 rotis, sabji, dal). This is also accompanied by having alcohol 1-2 times a week, just about 2-3 large drinks.

Food:

Try cutting out sugar, alcohol and ALL carbs from your meals for about 4 - 5 weeks. I mean rice, roti, bread, brown rice, poha, etc - everything. You might want to have moderate amounts of sweet potato or other fibrous complex carb substitutes (specially on Sat in anticipation of your sunday long). You'll see that fat disappear. All of us have one part of the body that has a particular propensity to store fat which is typically the last place you see the loss - for many Indian males it seems to be the mid-riff. Personally my loss visibly shows first on my face and last on my midriff as well.

Over the last 4 weeks, I have dropped 4 kgs, eating a reasonable amount but cutting carbs out ruthlessly. My only exception is I do consume what I need DURING my very long runs (think 22 kms and more) or very long bike/run bricks (again 3 - 4 hr range ones) while still trying to stay calorie negative. If its a strictly Zone 2 long run, even that fueling is kept to a minimum.

Finally, I am reading some stuff that is specially interesting for endurance athletes. Its called "What the Fat? Leaner Fitter Faster on LCHF". Give it a read and take a call if the principles appeal to you. The other related book is "What the Fat? Fat's in, Sugar's Out". The books (particularly the leaner fitter faster one) designed with athletes including endurance athletes in mind. Author is Grant Schofield and two others.

Hope this helps.

Strength work:

Needless to say throw in some moderate strength training in too. It'll make you a better runner as well as help build lean muscle. You need to be careful about the intensity, frequency as well as choice of day though. Its no point having sore muscles when you're doing harder interval sessions. It'll only compromise the quality of those workouts. Equally your slow recovery runs are ok with a tired body. Just training it to run easy when its fatigued is useful.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th September 2019 at 10:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks