Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2019, 13:57   #2446
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
The real challenge would be to go the extra 6-8 hrs post cycling/walking.
You will get used to that very quick. When I started running during my fasting window, I used to feel some tiredness. But after a few runs, I felt much more energetic as the body started burning fat. After a few runs, I could do a 10km run comfortably and stay energetic through the fasting window as well.

Do your rides at moderate intensities. If you want to do high intensity rides, then stick to shorter high intensity rides, or do intervals.
Old 13th October 2019, 08:28   #2447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
But after a few runs, I felt much more energetic as the body started burning fat. After a few runs, I could do a 10km run comfortably and stay energetic through the fasting window as well.

Hi Graaja,

What pace do you maintain for your fasted 10 km runs?

I started running last year but suffered a foot injury after running 10k at Pune international marathon. Have been laying low since then due to worry of the injury coming back again. Want to try again and this time during fasted state.
Old 13th October 2019, 12:59   #2448
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking for information around nutrition/nutrients and understanding it a little more in depth. Particularly want to understand how the body breaks down various macro/micro nutrients and how it stores/consumes the same. Any recommended videos/channels/books?
Old 13th October 2019, 13:13   #2449
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi Graaja,

I started running last year but suffered a foot injury after running 10k at Pune international marathon. Have been laying low since then due to worry of the injury coming back again. Want to try again and this time during fasted state.

Keep it in an aerobic state perhaps. The pace. Whatever aerobic pace is for you. Particularly as you are in the process of fat adapting.
Old 13th October 2019, 16:23   #2450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi Graaja,

This pace is not an absolute value and will depend from person to person. The more important factor is the heart rate zone. You have to run at a pace where your heart rate is in the endurance zone or Z2. Like Axe77 mentioned we call this aerobic runs. For me this is about 7:00 to 7:10 minutes per kilometer. For a very fit athlete, this could be 5:30 minutes per kilometer. You need to determine what this pace is for you. You can do this by monitoring your heart rate during the run and keeping it in the endurance zone. The heart rate range also varies with age. Article below explains a way to calculate your aerobic heart rate range.

https://www.active.com/fitness/artic...art-rate-zones

Regarding your injury, once you are fully recovered, start with short distances with a combination of jog/walk. Walk a few hundred meters, then jog a couple of hundred meters and see if the pain recurs. If it does not, then slowly increase the jog distance over a few weeks. Also, to prevent recurrence of the injury make sure you include pre and post run stretches without fail. Add foam roller treatment regularly. These precautions should keep the injury away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Looking for information around nutrition/nutrients and understanding it a little more in depth. Particularly want to understand how the body breaks down various macro/micro nutrients and how it stores/consumes the same. Any recommended videos/channels/books?
I would suggest you read "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubs. In this book, he explains how various macro-nutrients are burnt by body, especially how carbs are burnt or stored, or how fat is burnt. There are tons of videos on low carb and keto diets by Dr. Berg, Dr. Jason Fung etc. where this is covered. But all of these videos will be more on how carbs lead to obesity and diabetes, and how reducing carbs can prevent these.

Here is a video to get started.

Old 15th October 2019, 16:18   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Update: 1 month

Marking completion of 1 month of IF & LCHF. Weight is down from 80.15 kg to 73.70 kg. Waist is down from 38" to 34".

Attachment 1921854
Great Start, Congrats.

Today, I accidentally bumped into this thread and found it containing plethora of weight loss information and transformation stories. Introduced to IF and LCHF methods and found several people applying these techniques and benefits.

I'm also overweight and leading an unhealthy lifestyle. However, started doing some dieting and yoga (surya namaskar) from last month. Saw some difference in body build but not much in weight. Now, I want try IF and LCHF method to see if it works. I'm 36 and currently weigh 97 kg, ultimate goal is to reach 65.

Would like to start IF for 16 hrs (from 8 PM to 12 PM). My questions to all the experts out here are:-

1) What kind of diet to be followed for the best result in IF? LCHF or any other. If it's LCHF then can anyone suggest some good diet plan (I'm pure vegetarian)

2) Is there anything apart from black coffee (without sugar and milk) can be taken during IF period?

3) Exercise - I don't time for Gym and plan to continue doing Surya Namaskars daily (25 times). Will this be good enough or do I need some strength training as well?

Thanks a lot in Advance!

Cheers!
--VJ

Last edited by VJ05 : 15th October 2019 at 16:19. Reason: Forget to write 'Thanks'
Old 15th October 2019, 17:28   #2452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Great Start, Congrats.
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Would like to start IF for 16 hrs (from 8 PM to 12 PM). My questions to all the experts out here are:-

1) What kind of diet to be followed for the best result in IF? LCHF or any other. If it's LCHF then can anyone suggest some good diet plan (I'm pure vegetarian)

2) Is there anything apart from black coffee (without sugar and milk) can be taken during IF period?

3) Exercise - I don't time for Gym and plan to continue doing Surya Namaskars daily (25 times). Will this be good enough or do I need some strength training as well?
I am no expert, but will try to answer as per my small experience. But please do note that what works well for some may not work that well others. It's not a one-size-fits-all mantra. Not trying to discourage you but just want to keep expectations in check and proceed as per how your body reacts to any dietary and exercise changes

1) IF with LCHF really proved a great combination for me. Since LCHF cuts down most forms of sugar and carbs (especially the refined ones), it really compliments the "what to eat" side of the "when to eat" scenario of IF. You can start with cutting out sugars and refined carbs from your diet. That in itself will give a huge shock to the body to lose water weight. I lost 2.2 kg in the first week just by cutting out sugar and junk food. After that you can gradually ease into cutting out other carbs from your diet and see how your body reacts.

As to LCHF meal plans for pure vegetarians, maybe experts will be able to advise.

2) You can have black coffee, green tea or warm lemon water during fasting window. I take black coffee on some days and warm lemon water on other days.

3) Gym is absolutely not required. You can continue Surya Namaskar. Or go for a walk in any nearby park or even around your own house/apartment. Walking up and down the stairs will also do. Anything that raises heart beats and gets the blood pumping. I have a elliptical machine at home which was bought a year back and gathering dust, I now do 10mins on low to medium difficulty on that everyday.

For strength training again, no need for the gym. I do squats, pushups, and planks at home. Google "compound body weight exercises at home" for more information.

Hope that helps! I am sure others can provide more detailed information. All the best!
Old 15th October 2019, 18:47   #2453
BHPian

I have undergone an intense weightloss. Took a year to shrink from 40inch waist to 27inch.
Attached Thumbnails
The Weight Loss Thread-picsart_092510.03.26.jpg  

The Weight Loss Thread-picsart_090502.07.38.jpg  

momsonlydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 20:40   #2454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
Visible abs, Seperation in legs. Not even close to competition shredded but good seperation everywhere if I didn't overdo the sodium. Pretty sure I shouldn't be posting shirtless pictures here so we're gonna skip that for now.
Great to know that you lost ~40 kgs, really inspiring, Congrats Man!

How much deficit did you use to maintain from your maintenance level? Also can you please share the rough diet plan you followed?

Last edited by ampere : 15th October 2019 at 20:54. Reason: Reduced quoted post
Old 15th October 2019, 21:15   #2455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I have undergone an intense weightloss. Took a year to shrink from 40inch waist to 27inch.
That is an incredible transformation. Hats off!

Can you share details of how you achieved this weight loss, diet, exercise routines etc.?
Old 15th October 2019, 21:37   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is an incredible transformation. Hats off!

Can you share details of how you achieved this weight loss, diet, exercise routines etc.?
Morning did a 45 min run on the thread mill, lifting heavy weights (for burning calories), excercises (squats and other minor excercises with weight)

Restricted to 1500 calories a day. Not a single cheat day involved! Even during parties and get togethers I said no to
most foods and ate what was healthy and filling.

Today I eat enough, I have no problems whatsoever cause I learnt portion size. There are times I indulge in cake or fries. Nearly everyday I eat homemade food. Mainly to keep my body in shape and have a glowing skin.

What you eat is what you are!

Pro tip: I never weighed myself (advised by doctors as it leads to eating Disorder), instead to keep a check on progress, measure your body parts (waist, wrist or thighs)

Everyone has different goals and I achieved what I exactly wanted!
Attached Thumbnails
The Weight Loss Thread-img20190817wa0036.jpg  

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20191014_000231_695.jpg  

momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 17:05   #2457
BHPian

Hi all,

Just wanted to check if anyone here includes omega-3 supplements in their diets.

I read that omega-3 is an essential fatty acid but the human body doesn't produce it. Its available mainly in cold-water fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, tuna, herring, and sardines, which I don't think would be part of most Indian diets. Its also present in flaxseed, chia seeds, and walnuts which I have started including in my diet.

I am aware of soft-gel capsules of cod liver oil and salmon omega are available. If anyone has tried those out, please let me know.
Old 28th October 2019, 20:51   #2458
BHPian

Came across this video on Netflix. It is totally opposite to what is being suggested on this thread, especially eat a lot of chicken, fish and dairy for proteins.

"The Game Changers"

https://www.netflix.com/title/811578...=13747225&t=cp

I can't decide now what to follow.
Old 28th October 2019, 21:06   #2459
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Came across this video on Netflix. It is totally opposite to what is being suggested on this thread, especially eat a lot of chicken, fish and dairy for proteins.

"The Game Changers"

https://www.netflix.com/title/811578...=13747225&t=cp

I can't decide now what to follow.
You have to decide based on what is your goal. Almost all of the athletes (except for the ultra marathoner) shown in the video are into high intensity sports like sprints, MMA, time trial bike race etc. The primary source for these low duration, high intensity workouts can only be glucose and for this the only source is carbohydrates. And there are plenty of carbohydrate sources in a vegan diet.

So, if you are an athlete doing high intensity sports, and not overweight, then yes, a vegan diet would work.

On the other hand, if you are looking to reduce weight, then low carb way has lots of scientific proof (and lots of anecdotal proofs as well). Also, if you are an endurance athlete into long duration low intensity sports, then low carb is the way to go.
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:28   #2460
BHPian

One of my LCHF lunch on a weekday. Whole cabbage leaves blanched in boiling salt water. With chicken homestyle masala cooked with onion, ginger garlic, kasuri methi and ghee. I do admit to have got few curious glances at the office canteen when I used the cabbage leaves like roti to eat with the chicken!

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20191029_092449010101.jpeg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks