Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 17:36   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thank you for the kind words

This is not a typo. This is how it LCHF is defined throughout the book as well. When I started reading the book, even I was surprised at the definition of LCHF as Low Carb Healthy Fat, whereas the commonly used definition is Low Carb High Fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Went to the above doctor's website and found that her definition of LCHF is not how it conventionally understood. I even went to Google Baba in case I had misunderstood what LCHF and Keto stands for. Attaching the screenshot. It's there even on the book cover.

Attachment 1946124
Guys even in the conventional definition of LCHF the fat is healthy fats only.
Only difference is conventionally LCHF is used interchangeably with Keto, whereas here LCHF is about not restricting Carbs to Keto level.
Old 16th December 2019, 17:40   #2522
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Guys even in the conventional definition of LCHF the fat is healthy fats only.
Only difference is conventionally LCHF is used interchangeably with Keto, whereas here LCHF is about not restricting Carbs to Keto level.
Absolutely. I never meant that in conventional definition, fat is mentioned otherwise. What I was pointing out was in conventional form, LCHF is expanded as Low Carb High Fat. Dr. Caryn may have coined the "Low Carb Healthy Fat" to keep people with conventional wisdom from shying away.
Old 20th December 2019, 09:58   #2523
BHPian

No updates here for a long time.
Nobody is losing nothing?

Please keep posting your updates and encourage others.
Old 20th December 2019, 10:19   #2524
KPR
BANNED

Currently I'm not following any diet. But I'm doing my usual daily badminton, walks etc., Past twenty days not even a single day of outside meal or food. To my surprise today morning when I weighed, I found that I had lost about 2 Kgs from 77 to under 75 Kg. Starting to wonder if the outside food is stopping me from weight reduction or being fit. I perform various physical work that range from 11000-14000 steps everyday since last four years except monday as per my Amazfit Pace watch. Come 5th January 2020 I'm running HM at Chennai Marathon. Hope I maintain my current weight of 74.5 Kg (5 10" height). Not to gain more so that I can target my personal best or atleast finish in style by 2 hr 15 mins at the event.

Last edited by KPR : 20th December 2019 at 10:21.
Old 20th December 2019, 17:44   #2525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Nobody is losing nothing?
Here you go. Breached the 70kg mark this week on Wednesday (Was 73 during the Kodi Bengare meet).
The Weight Loss Thread-whatsapp-image-20191217-6.01.51-pm.jpeg

A little more fat layer in the mid section to go. I have now stopped using weight as my goal. The goal now is to get rid of the last layer of unwanted fat in the midsection and build lean muscles and strength. Whatever weight that happens at, is my target now.

One problem I face these days is that people who know me have started asking me if I am sick. As they are used to my chubby face, and have never seen me this lean, they assume I am losing weight because of sickness. The beard with all that salt does not help either. But people who have not seen me 5 years back and have known me only a couple of years always tell me I am looking fitter by the day. Hope with more strength training in the next three months, people stop calling me sick!

A compare pic from 5 years back. Thanks to robimahanta for the 2019 picture
The Weight Loss Thread-before-after.png

EDIT: It was a 38" trouser and XXL T-Shirt in 2014. It is a 32" trouser and M T-Shirt in 2019.

Last edited by graaja : 20th December 2019 at 18:00.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 19:01   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Please keep posting your updates and encourage others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Update: 2 months

Marking completion of 2 months of IF & LCHF. Weight is down to 70.60 kg. Waist is down to 32.5".
So it's been more than 3 months of IF LCHF for me now. Current weight is 65.6 kg and waist is 31.x". Started in September at 80.2 kg with 38" waist.

Now that both my weight and waist are at my target levels, I still have some fat to get rid of in my lower abdomen area and under the chin. I guess it'll take some more time and effort.

Quote:
A little more fat layer in the mid section to go. I have now stopped using weight as my goal. The goal now is to get rid of the last layer of unwanted fat in the midsection and build lean muscles and strength. Whatever weight that happens at, is my target now.

One problem I face these days is that people who know me have started asking me if I am sick.
I am looking to do the same. I have increased my weight training to get rid of the remaining fat.

I get the same comments from people. I guess once the facial fat starts melting away, the skin might be losing that stretch and facial bones show up more prominently, leading to that look of ill health. But I am more than looking forward to having straight cheeks, single chin and prominent cheek bones rather than chubby cheeks!
Old 26th December 2019, 14:02   #2527
Senior - BHPian

With another year coming to an end, it's time for some reflections and new resolutions for the coming year.
Couple of years back I decided to get in shape. Here is a comparison picture from 2 years back that shows my journey from a 36 inch waist to 30 inch now. The old picture is actually around 8kg less than my heaviest.

The Weight Loss Thread-psx_20191226_160238.jpg

I am 8kgs further down from that 2017 pic now and way fitter but some stubborn belly fat still remains (my fat percentage is around 25%). I am also experiencing my toughest plateau at 77kgs having stuck here for more than a month despite being on IF.

My hope for next year is to be able to achieve my target weight 74kgs. More than weight it's the fitness that I am aiming for now. Hope to run a sub 45 minute 10 Kms and atleast one half Marathon before I close 2020.
Old 27th December 2019, 05:44   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
"It's human nature for people to want to reward themselves after doing very hard work, such as exercise or fasting for a long period of time," he said. "So there is a danger of indulging in unhealthy dietary habits on non-fasting days."
Quote:
When the brain is deprived of food, appetite hormones in the hypothalamus, the brain's "hunger center," are released in a flurry and can trigger overeating.
But Mattson said the pain is temporary.

"Patients should be advised that feeling hungry and irritable is common initially and usually passes after two weeks to a month as the body and brain become accustomed to the new habit," he said.

Source: CNN Article on Intermittent Fasting

Quote:
Intermittent fasting, or IF, is exactly what it sounds like: You eat during a small window of time during every day, and the rest of the time you "fast," or don't eat. For example, some people choose an eight hour window in which to eat, and then hang back the other 16 hours of the day. The routine supposedly gives you a lot of time and energy for doing other stuff like running a massive tech company and journaling (another one of Dorsey's trendy wellness habits).
Quote:
Dorsey says he only eats one meal per weekday, and tries to fast on the weekends. (Which, by the way, is really extreme when it comes to intermittent fasting.)

"During the day, I feel so much more focused. ... You have this very focused point of mind in terms of this drive," Dorsey told CNBC about intermittent fasting habit. "Certainly, the time back from breakfast and lunch allowed me to focus more on what my day is."
Source: CNN Article on Jack Dorsey & Intermittent Fasting

Jack Dorsey takes it to an extreme level which most normal people will not be able to sustain in our hotter climate - I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
With another year coming to an end, it's time for some reflections and new resolutions for the coming year.
Couple of years back I decided to get in shape. Here is a comparison picture from 2 years back that shows my journey from a 36 inch waist to 30 inch now. The old picture is actually around 8kg less than my heaviest.
This is superb @vibbs. All the best to you on your journey in 2020.

Quote:
Breached the 70kg mark this week on Wednesday (Was 73 during the Kodi Bengare meet).
A compare pic from 5 years back.
EDIT: It was a 38" trouser and XXL T-Shirt in 2014. It is a 32" trouser and M T-Shirt in 2019.
Super progress @graaja. This thread is an inspiration.
Wish we had the thank you or Up vote button on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
So it's been more than 3 months of IF LCHF for me now. Current weight is 65.6 kg and waist is 31.x". Started in September at 80.2 kg with 38" waist.
Superb progress @FrodoOfTheShire The pictures in your previous post show an entirely different same person. Awesome.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th December 2019 at 08:19. Reason: Merged
Old 28th December 2019, 11:43   #2529
Senior - BHPian

On the topic of Intermittent fasting.

I am a beginner to this topic, so pardon me if my post is ignorant.

As far as my understanding, IF in the ratio of 16:8 is simply observing fast for 16 hour and normal eating period of 8 hours.

For me, this can simply be accomplished by skipping breakfast, and having lunch at 12 or so, assuming i have eaten dinner at 8 PM the other day.

So the question is, is IF just about skipping breakfast ? Or is there something more i am missing here.
Old 28th December 2019, 13:19   #2530
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
So the question is, is IF just about skipping breakfast ? Or is there something more i am missing here.
One can skip breakfast as you mentioned or even skip dinner so as to achieve a fasting period of 14+ hours, yes you got the intermittent fasting part right.

However, if weight loss is the goal, for better results you also need to cut down on intake of carbs and sugar/sweets (LCHF/Keto diet regime) and during the eating window, do not snack between meals. To go from meal to meal without snacking, you can increase intake of healthy fats like butter, cheese, ghee, coconut oil, etc. Gradually, you will get used to the routine and you can cut down on these fats, so that your body can start burning stored fat. You can also have black coffee/tea (no milk, no sugar!) to help you adapt. Or even lime juice and water with salt, no sugar.

If you start with 16:8, you end up having two meals a day. If you want to go further, you can do 18:6, 20:4 or even One Meal A Day (OMAD). I would recommend you go slowly with small changes and make each change a habit/lifestyle. Make sure your food is nutrient dense, so ideally 7-10 cups of vegetables a day is what is recommended. I just have regular home cooked South Indian vegetarian food and cut down the rice & wheat(chappati) intake.

Do look up YouTube for Dr.Eric Berg and he has some excellent videos explaining this.

Last edited by NPV : 28th December 2019 at 13:27.
Old 28th December 2019, 14:42   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
On the topic of Intermittent fasting.
Here are few videos to help you along the way. Dr. Jason Fung is an expert on IF, you can find many videos/talks/seminars of his on YouTube.

You can also follow Diet Doctor website for detailed information on IF and LCHF -

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

PS: I sent the Diet Doctor link to my mom who was happy with my weight loss but sceptical about the methods of IF and LCHF. Hopefully that cleared up her doubts!
Old 28th December 2019, 17:16   #2532
BHPian

TBHPians - Any pointers towards some good free app for calorie counting. Something that's easy to feed inputs and is more in line with Indian foods with a high level view of daily nutrients intake.

I am ok with a paid app if its easy to update on a daily basis and is informative as well.

I use MiFit App to take a stock of the cal0ries burnt per day. So the app should be able to give me a picture of the calorie deficit so that I can track my progress.
Old 28th December 2019, 17:19   #2533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am a beginner to this topic, so pardon me if my post is ignorant.
NPV and FrodoOfTheShire have given excellent pointers. Here is another article that gives all the basic info about IF.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
TBHPians - Any pointers towards some good free app for calorie counting. Something that's easy to feed inputs and is more in line with Indian foods with a high level view of daily nutrients intake.
MyFitnessPal is a very good app for calorie counting and macro tracking. The free app does everything basic one needs. If you want tighter control of amount of macros consumed a day in grams, then you will need the paid version. Otherwise for basic calorie counting, free version is enough. MyFitnessPal also has a good database of Indian food.

Last edited by graaja : 28th December 2019 at 17:22.
Old 29th December 2019, 09:14   #2534
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It feels so damn good to be able to easily maintain weight, despite an extremely active social life with lots of dinners & parties, outings, road-trips and what not. LCHF, workouts & clean eating are helping. Zero sugar too. The many Keto options in Bombay (including deserts) have made things super easy. I have zero cravings for junk food now, it's basically just gone out of the system. As an example, if I feel like a pizza, instead of ordering a rubbish Dominos like I used to earlier, I simply gorge on a healthy Keto pizza from Farmer's Cafe (their Peri Paneer pizza is awesome).

Happy to end the year with a bang! Both pictures from last week. It's imperative to find a healthy rhythm & routine that your mind + body are comfortable with. Then, maintaining weight becomes a zero-effort exercise:
The Weight Loss Thread-annotation-20191229-090725.jpg

The Weight Loss Thread-20191225-19.46.30.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2019 at 09:15.
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:53   #2535
BHPian

We all know there are innumerable articles and studies posted on the topic, here is one more good read on intermittent fasting from nytimes.

Quote:
Is fasting an effective weight-loss method?
If you are obese or overweight, fasting is an effective weight-loss method, if you stick to it. But it is no more effective than a diet that restricts your daily calories.

Bottom line: If you want to lose weight and are someone who hates counting calories, you might consider fasting, as both methods offer similar weight-loss benefits.

The most effective diet is the one you can stick to while still living your best life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks