Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 14:06   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Recently one of my relatives was diagnosed with Colon Cancer.

While researching more about this, I came to know that a diet less in Fiber could be a risk factor for this.

Not alarming, just a heads up that while doing LCHF, it is essential to ensure that we consume sufficient Fiber as its quite possible that we end up deficient in it specially if focus is more on red meat.
Old 5th March 2020, 14:29   #2612
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
While researching more about this, I came to know that a diet less in Fiber could be a risk factor for this.

Not alarming, just a heads up that while doing LCHF, it is essential to ensure that we consume sufficient Fiber as its quite possible that we end up deficient in it specially if focus is more on red meat.
I think that's why doctors like Eric Berg recommend 7 to 10 cups of vegetables a day (even if on meat based keto diet).
Old 5th March 2020, 15:27   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I did LCHF year back and weight dropped from 92 kgs to 81 kg in few months, but it went back to 92 kgs once I came out of the diet.
I personally feel that it's a matter of one's preferences. I have gone down from fat at 68 kg to skinny at 59 eating more than 5 times a day with strict portion control and went back to around 75 kg while choking my digestive tracts with lots and lots of food.

Overall what I have discovered is that since I like eating a lot (my wife is a great cook) and like to have variety in my diet therefore my main emphasis in upon keeping my metabolic rate high through weight training protocols. (Unfortunately, our lifestyle has screwed up our metabolic rate personally I feel that it is taking greater toll on our health, including that of our kids, even more than carbs, sugars and fats).

Well I am close to 50. Around 72.5 at present. 5.6. Slightly elevated BP. Sugar under control. Cholesterol a unit or two above max limit. Not bad for a man with very bad health markers (genetics).

Therefore, go for what suits you. Just one advice - burn more than what you eat.
Old 5th March 2020, 15:38   #2614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post

Well I am close to 50. Around 72.5 at present. 5.6. Slightly elevated BP. Sugar under control. Cholesterol a unit or two above max limit. Not bad for a man with very bad health markers (genetics).

Therefore, go for what suits you. Just one advice - burn more than what you eat.
Those are impressive numbers

Thanks, burning more and sustaining that is the key. Eat healthy and live healthy!

Last edited by ampere : 6th March 2020 at 14:56. Reason: Typo fixed
Old 12th March 2020, 14:44   #2615
BHPian

30 Days update

Starting Weight : 94 Kg
Target Weight : ~77 Kg
Current Weight : 84.2 Kg

Diet : IF (16:8)+ LCHF (moderate)
Cheat Days : None (I visit my native every weekends and its impossible to do IF on weekends, but follows LCHF )

Physical Activities :
Brisk Walk in morning about 45 mins
Cycling to and from office (6+6 km)
Climbing office stairs (5 floors) , twice a day minimum
1 set Push ups (till drop) + 1 set Ab crunches (Till drop) in morning from last 2 weeks.

Dinner at 8.00 and sleeps at 10.00 PM

I am yet to try OMAD or complete fasting. But I guess I can do it without any problem. I am not feeling hungry or energy less any time now.

Reduction in weight helped me to have good night sleep and sitting in office for long time became much easier . Earlier I used to get back and neck pain regularly, now it seems reduced a lot .

I will be Continuing LCHF till 23 March and I am planning to hit the gym there after with clean eating.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 13:52   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
30 Days update

Thats impressive progress Asish.
Keep going till you reach your goal.
You may want to share your LCHF diet details for others' use.
Old 13th March 2020, 14:56   #2617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This month, I ended up breaking my plateau as well. This graph of monthly average shows the decline.
For almost 2 months the monthly average was above 78 and seemed I had plataeued between upwards of 77.5 and 78.5.

December numbers were.

Max weight: 79.3, Min weight: 77.4, Average weight: 78.2
Max Fat: 25.3%, Min fat: 24.6, Average Fat: 24.9

But this month the Plateau broke and I got a few days under 77 as well.
Earlier this year, I broke my long time plateau. But I had some hectic traveling for business cum personal matters in Feb and begining of March. I was afraid that I will end up going back into my plateau weight.

However, it has been a pleasant surprise. I am still under my last plateau weight.

I intend to run more than my normal running distance (hopefully 21kms) tomorrow (this will be the first time I am attempting this distance- so intention is to maintain a rather lowly speed of 8 Kms/hr.)

I hope this will bring in some immediate weight loss. I know it will be back up during the recovery phase, but the kick you get while seeing a record weight on the scale is so satisfying!
Old 13th March 2020, 15:32   #2618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
30 Days update

Would you mind sharing your diet menu?
Old 13th March 2020, 18:00   #2619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Thats impressive progress Asish.
Keep going till you reach your goal.
You may want to share your LCHF diet details for others' use.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Would you mind sharing your diet menu?
Sure

Here it is

Morning I usually wake up at 5:45-6:00
I will have a pint of normal water (I have a beer mug for this ) and goes to nearby walk-way for a 45 minutes brisk walk.

Breakfast:
Since I'm doing IF , I don't have breakfast

Lunch
At 1.00 pm I have my lunch .
Mostly vegetables like Cabbages, brocolies , cauliflower, gourds , Spinach's, etc. Basically anything green and grows above ground.

I don't like raw vegitables much , so I cook them to make what is called ' Poriyal/thoran/pallya/subzi '
Using coconut oil and grated coconut . Being from Kerala , I love the smell and taste of both.

Replaced onions with green onions since while satueing , onions gets caramelized and releases sugar (I'm not sure , but I heard so)

+ 2 eggs (boiled, fried or scrambled in butter)

To be honest, I don't keep track of the how much carbs from veggies I am eating, normally I eat till I am satisfied (no overeating though)

Dinner
At about 8.00: 8:30 I eat my dinner

Same satued vegitables from lunch / fresh salads with a portion of Protein ( Meats / Fish / paneer , shallow fried in butter or coconut oil or olive oil )

A light walk of 30 mins after dinner.

Snacks
Generally I don't have snacks, sometimes I have cucumber slices with splash of lime juice and salt.

I will sometime have bulletproof coffee in the evenings after reaching home from office

+ I do drink minimum 4-6 litres of water every day .
+ And most importantly, 7+ hours of sleep

(I have observed I didn't have much weight loss when I had short sleep for 3 days due to some work related issues. So I guess quality sleep is also important for weight loss )

Last edited by Asish_VK : 13th March 2020 at 18:08.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 18:22   #2620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
30 Days update

I will be Continuing LCHF till 23 March and I am planning to hit the gym there after with clean eating.
That is an impressive transformation for 30 days! Keep going!

Even in maintenance mode, keep the carb intake moderate. That will help in sustaining the weight loss.

All the best
Old 22nd March 2020, 16:54   #2621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I should have started this transformational journey a couple of years earlier.
Though my quest for weight loss began in February 2019, yesterday marked the 365th day of step tracking. Right through the year, come rain or shine, I have always taken 10,000 steps a day.

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20200322_165200.jpg

With brisk walk, intermittent fasting and staying off sweets, I had come down from 80kgs to my desired weight of 58.8kgs by July 2019, i.e, in about five months. Since then, I am proud to say that I have ALWAYS maintained my weight under 60kgs.

More importantly, I am fitter than ever before; my immunity has gone up and I am crossing previously unthought of boundaries.

For instance, I ran a 5k race in October 2019 and came second, behind a runner who was ten years younger and had been an athlete all his life.

I also ran a 3k road race with 16-18 year olds and came 5th. There were 16 runners competing.

I can cycle 35kms easily, on a very basic BTwin MyBike.

My table tennis has seen a significantly qualitative improvement; as can be seen from this trophy won in the district level Dasara sports.

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20200322_164421.jpg

The fit body has also given me a lot of positivity and some extra doses of confidence. I am ready for most challenges now. Bring it on is my notional anthem.

All in all, I am a happy soul.
dailydriver is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 08:45   #2622
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, just wanted to share a tip. If you hit a plateau with Keto, LCHF or even IF, just go out and have full-on carbs for a day . It'll totally shock your system & reset everything. Believe it or not, your weight loss will start again in 2 - 3 days. I faced this plateau thrice during my weight loss and the carb trick always worked.

Credit for advice = some Reddit thread.

Bonus = Lots of fun too .
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 09:22   #2623
Senior - BHPian

I started 7 days back with a weight of 84 Kgs with strict 16:8 IF and a mild LCHF plus a few minutes of jogging. Current weight is 81.5 Kgs. Does that sound reasonable? Any chance of me hitting a plateau? My target is 75 Kgs in the first leg of this diet model by continuing the same fashion (say in 1 month or so).
Old 24th March 2020, 13:18   #2624
Senior - BHPian

This Work from home has become a challenge for me now.

I used to walk 10000 steps a day and 5/10 Km jog 2-3 days a week. Now all that has come to an end. I already feel my weight creeping back due to this.

I guess I need to add in some indoor workouts to keep the metabolism high as before.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 09:53   #2625
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess I need to add in some indoor workouts to keep the metabolism high as before.
If you love cardio (I believe you would as you are a long distance runner), I recommend getting a 3 month or 6 month subscription to Beachbody OnDemand. They have some fantastic indoor training series for cardio and strength. Check out the Insanity workout from Shaun T. This will kick ass and will keep your metabolism at peak.

PS: When I had paid the subscription to the site, Amex had blocked the transaction as the website's name sounds a bit off I had to do it using another card which went through.

PPS: I have no affiliation to this site. I am just a fan of some of their workout series like Insanity, Insanity Asylum, P90X etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I started 7 days back with a weight of 84 Kgs with strict 16:8 IF and a mild LCHF plus a few minutes of jogging. Current weight is 81.5 Kgs. Does that sound reasonable? Any chance of me hitting a plateau? My target is 75 Kgs in the first leg of this diet model by continuing the same fashion (say in 1 month or so).
All the best with your IF+LCHF journey. 7 days is a little too early to get into a plateau. The weight you lose in the first couple of weeks will be mostly water weight as your body does not need all the water that is bound to the glycogen molecules. Also, aim to do this at least 3 months consistently. And do not think of going back to your regular eating habits when you reach target weight. You will gain all the lost weight and some more. All the best once again. Looking forward to your update on how this goes.

Last edited by graaja : 25th March 2020 at 09:56.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks