Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2020, 15:47   #2671
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I agree, could be personal biology. I would rather not task my system more than what we are already putting it through, i guess.

Also been advised by the doctors on this.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ic#bottom-line

A nice article about acidity of coffee.

Summary/ Yes on the ph scale, coffee is acidic. But this need not cause acidity symptoms for most. People who already have acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome can better avoid it. Dark roasted coffee is less acidic than light roasted.
graaja is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 15:57   #2672
Distinguished - BHPian

Question to all IF practitioners. How are you are ensuring that you take in sufficient calcium? Since i am on IF, black coffee is the go to drink and hence milk consumption has dropped to what I have in the evening i.e just 1 cup.
Old 1st May 2020, 16:07   #2673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

Did my first 48 hour fast yesterday. Started the fast at 11:30 on 28th April and ended it at 11:30 on 30th April. Throughout the 48 hours, had only black coffee and green tea.

The most important thing during long fasts is maintaining electrolyte balance. This is done by adding some salt. Had a couple of glasses of lime juice with salt for this. Purists don't recommend lime and recommend keeping a teaspoon of sale below the tongue. But somehow, I could not do this and I made an exception for some lemon. Kept it to quarter lemon.

Was feeling quite strong at the end of 48 hours. Could have extended it to 72 hours. But as this is my first long fast, wanted to keep it as planned and ended at 48 hours. Will try a 72 hour fast after a couple of months.
]
Nice Graaja. I did a couple of 24 hr/ OMADs this lockdown season. Never extended it. However at the end of fast, I always feel I can. It's mainly the desire to eat that trumps.

I have realised that I have started enjoying food more after I started to fast. The other day my wife made Baingan and I have never been a fan of it. This day it seemed so tasty to me that I ate it more than the fish fry that shared the dinner table.

Incidentally I use Zero as well to track my fasts.

I started taking lemon juice with salt after my fasted runs to help keep electrolyte balance. But I had a strange side effect. Diarrhea. I googled a bit and saw that there have been instances of diarrhoea with lemon on some people. Funny that never before I experienced this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Did you face any issues with black coffee on an empty stomach?

Have read reports on it in the past that have mostly recommended against it. However, I do occasionally still take it on empty stomach!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Black coffee on an empty stomach is like pouring acid down your stomach linings.

It is the worst thing to do. I always have fruits before the occasional coffee (twice a month). I have almost eliminated it from my routine. Even green tea is better had after a fruit like a banana.
I have been taking Black coffee for months now. Since my childhood till a couple of years back, I had always suffered from acidity and heart burn due to acid reflux. To the extent that a doctor had suggested a minor surgery to prevent this.

But ever since I cut out wheat/wheat based products and started limiting carbohydrates, I have never ever experienced it. Despite drinking 3-4 cups of black filter coffee daily.

I did Google a bit after reading your posts. It seems although acidic, coffee is much less acidic than many other drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
That was largely what I had gathered from my reading on the subject. There is one anecdotal reference that I am familiar with - a friend from Kerala. Her dad expired from colon cancer. He was vegetarian. Never smoked/drank/etc. His only issue, apparently, was he would drink tea/coffee everyday on empty stomach.
This one caught my eye. I have two paternal uncles diagnosed with cancer and one of them is colorectal cancer. I have been a bit wary of this ever since so much so that I intend to get cancer included in my yearly medical screening.

So I googled after I read your post.

Incidentally the links that came up suggests diametrically opposite link between coffee intake and CRC though still not conclusive enough.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4874555/

https://www.gastrojournal.org/articl...162-8/fulltext

Last edited by vibbs : 1st May 2020 at 16:10.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 16:45   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
If I may ask, was it milk tea/coffee that is a concern or if the beverage, in any form, was suggested to be avoided on empty stomach?
The anecdotal reference I made to used to have milk based tea/coffee on empty stomach.

Thanks for sharing the links. That's one of the features of most scientific studies. There will be evidence to support either stance. Putting those evidence in the right context to enable making wise decisions - is where many doctors help out a lot in. Personal experience with proper self-analysis and objective reflection helps too.

From the links you posted -

Quote:
Endogenous factors such as metabolic variability and the gut microbiome will affect how coffee is metabolized and, potentially, the bioactivity of its constituent compounds.

Future studies that can identify the components of coffee that are related to colorectal cancer and that evaluate the metabolic impact of coffee drinking will likely help to elucidate potential underlying mechanisms
Old 1st May 2020, 18:18   #2675
BHPian

This lock down has been good for weight loss.

5 kgs lost in a span of 45 days (from Mar 18) !

The only thing that was done differently is to reduce the amount of portions of each food intake!

Not much exercise except for skipping and playing football with my son in the Balcony!
JayKis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 03:08   #2676
BHPian

Guys, I started my weight loss journey late last month amidst this quarantine period. One question to the experts - How much calorie deficit is okay from the maintenance level? If there's any side effect/issues if there's too much deficit?

Thanks!
Old 2nd May 2020, 06:10   #2677
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Nice Graaja. I did a couple of 24 hr/ OMADs this lockdown season. Never extended it. However at the end of fast, I always feel I can. It's mainly the desire to eat that trumps.

I have realised that I have started enjoying food more after I started to fast. The other day my wife made Baingan and I have never been a fan of it. This day it seemed so tasty to me that I ate it more than the fish fry that shared the dinner table.

Incidentally I use Zero as well to track my fasts.

I started taking lemon juice with salt after my fasted runs to help keep electrolyte balance. But I had a strange side effect. Diarrhea. I googled a bit and saw that there have been instances of diarrhoea with lemon on some people. Funny that never before I experienced this!
Thank you Vibbs.

True. During fasts, it is mostly our mind that is hungry, not our body. I realized this during this 48 hour fast. As long as our body has enough fat storage to fuel itself, it should be fine. It is the mind that plays these games and makes us quit.

Fasting improves our relationship with food. As we get to eat in a shorter time window, we tend to enjoy food better than when we used to be perpetually eating.

It is surprising to hear about your diarrhoea problem with lime juice and salt. What do the articles say about long term? Will your body get used to this after a couple of times or is this going to continue? If this is going to continue, then you can try some electrolytes that have almost zero calories. I have used Fast and Up reload tablets with salt for longer workouts. These tablets have about 11 calories of energy and theoretically should break your fast. But I just feel that with the body in high metabolic state during the workout, it may use this small energy without breaking the fast. I could be very wrong though. I do this only for long workouts (usually long cycling) that last 90 minutes or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Guys, I started my weight loss journey late last month amidst this quarantine period. One question to the experts - How much calorie deficit is okay from the maintenance level? If there's any side effect/issues if there's too much deficit?
From my experience, just calorie deficit is not enough to maintain weight in the long term. You will also have to control the quality of what you eat like avoiding sugar and processed carbs at the least. Having said that, most experts suggest to introduce a calorie deficit of 500 calories. And part of this deficit should come from physical exercise. Good luck with your weight loss journey.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 07:22   #2678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is surprising to hear about your diarrhoea problem with lime juice and salt. What do the articles say about long term? Will your body get used to this after a couple of times or is this going to continue? If this is going to continue, then you can try some electrolytes that have almost zero calories.
I am surprised as well. I have been drinking lemon juice, lime soda, Sarbath etc since a long long time. But never faced this issue. At first I thought it could be food poisoning. But I sort of established lemon being the cause by elimination method on 3 different days (non consecutive). The only common factor being lemon. The articles I checked said that lemon tends to pull in water into your gut causing this problem in some people.

Only surprise is why it never happened before. Perhaps empty stomach or combination of lemon and salt ( my lemon juices and lime sodas were always sweet earlier) or even the lemon we get here in singapore.

On the days I didn't take lemon juice I had no issues. But this is not sustainable. Humidity in Singapore is high now a days and I run between 8 AM - 9 AM when the sun is already up.

Today I have taken just some rock salt with water. Let me see if it works.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 07:30   #2679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Today I have taken just some rock salt with water. Let me see if it works.
If you can have just salt in water that is more than enough. Salt is the key requirement not the lemon. Lemon is just to add a little taste that makes it edible. I once tried just salt in water and I just could not swallow that liquid
Old 2nd May 2020, 09:35   #2680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ISalt is the key requirement not the lemon.
I have been trying to do this during the fast period and have been successful only half the time. Add a teaspoon of salt to my 1 ltr water bottle and use that instead of normal water for the fasting period. Some days, its potable but some days I just cant drink it

Last edited by procrj : 2nd May 2020 at 09:56.
Old 2nd May 2020, 09:52   #2681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I have been trying to do this during the fast period and have successful only half the time. Add a teaspoon of salt to my 1 ltr water bottle and use that instead of normal water for the fasting period. Some days, its potable but some days I just cant drink it
Another method that I have seen many follow and am planning to try is to keep a pinch of salt below the tongue and let it dissolve slowly. It may not be possible to consume one full tsp of salt like this. But if we split a tsp into three parts and consume like this spread over a day, it may work.
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:35   #2682
Senior - BHPian

But do we need a teaspoon of salt?

This much salt will contain much more sodium than our need. No?
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:44   #2683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Have what your body needs. If you feel onset of discomfort, have a bit. Sip it. Break the teaspoon down throughout the day. Only you know your body. Not google, not teambhp. Listen to it and proceed.

And don't overdo anything. Be moderate.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:45   #2684
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

My bad. I meant a teaspoon during long fasts. For fasted state workouts during shorter intermittent fasting, you can do with maybe 1/2 a tsp.
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:10   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quick question:

Is it okay to have a protein drink (protinex powder with milk) during IF + LCHF.

I feel like not getting enough protein while I look forward to get some muscle work outs done.

Will it hamper IF?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks