Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2020, 20:21   #2641
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Help!!

As of today i.e. March 3 i have just lost 1.5 KGs that is 15 days since my last quote.

Strict on diet and timing, still sticking on to OMAD. Maybe 3 moderate cheat meals till now.
Exercise has gone down, but still looking at Calorie in and out, the weight loss should have been much aggressive(as per me).

whats going wrong here? Should i shift from OMAD to 20-4 or 18-6?
Need some help here.
5-6 days a week im on OMAD and rest on IF.

I am stuck at ~75 since a month now. How is it that the body is sustaining the same body weight with 1000+ calorie deficient on a daily basis?

What should I do to get over/cross/pass this plateau ?
Old 13th April 2020, 21:29   #2642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Need some help here.
5-6 days a week im on OMAD and rest on IF.

I am stuck at ~75 since a month now. How is it that the body is sustaining the same body weight with 1000+ calorie deficient on a daily basis?

What should I do to get over/cross/pass this plateau ?
It is possible that your body is slowing down the metabolism seeing that you are starving. Do you feel lazy or not feeling like moving much? If yes, then it is your metabolism slowing down. Switch to 16:8 or 18:6 IF with two meals and a 500 calorie deficit. And also make sure to add some workout, at least 45 minutes of brisk walk. These should bring back your metabolism to normal and your body will start burning the stored fat.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 06:47   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
And also make sure to add some workout, at least 45 minutes of brisk walk. These should bring back your metabolism to normal and your body will start burning the stored fat.
I agree. Some workout preferably in fasted state will kick up the metabolism.

What I have seen is that after a while body settles in its own rhythm and attains equilibrium. How this happens depends on individuals. But often it does happen.

In that case it will be good to give the body a shock. As GTO suggested in one of the earlier posts, a kick in the wrong direction works sometimes. ie if people are on Keto, do a day of carb loading and back to keto again from next day.

Or like I did a couple of weeks back. I went OMAD/20:4 suddenly for 2-3 days in between while following my normal 16:8/18:6.

Different things work for different people. We should make sure to note what we did for sake of good records which might help us later.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 13:45   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am not sure if this fits in here or in the running thread.

But since we have a few who workout in fasted state here, I thought to ask it here.

Past couple of days, I have been running in the fasted state (as always) but trying to increase the speed by incorporating bouts of high intesity running as well. While I feel great when I am in this routine, an hour or so later, I am hit with a throbbing headache.

Two things come to my mind. Electrolyte imbalance due to dehydration and low blood sugar.

Any ideas how to counter this guys? It was pretty bad today and I had to take an ibuprofen due to the headache.

I am not sure if I can take electrolytes in Fasting period. If yes, then which ones?

It will be counter intuitive to try and improve the blood sugar.
Old 16th April 2020, 13:49   #2645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

I am not sure if I can take electrolytes in Fasting period. If yes, then which ones?

Water with rock salt and lemon. Will replenish the salts and keep you in the fasted state. Have plenty of it, because you will sweat it all out.

I have this to retain fasted state during my three day water fasts.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 16:22   #2646
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Two things come to my mind. Electrolyte imbalance due to dehydration and low blood sugar.

Any ideas how to counter this guys? It was pretty bad today and I had to take an ibuprofen due to the headache.

+1 to RedLiner. This should be mostly due to electrolyte loss. I usually take lemon juice with salt during my fasted workouts. This should solve the headache after the workout.

Another point to note is body can burn fat for fuel only when you are training in the endurance zone. Threshold efforts will need sugar which is provided by the glycogen stores. How much time do you spend in threshold zone in your training? If it is 10 to 15 minutes total, then your body should have enough glycogen to fuel these bursts. Longer duration in the threshold zone may be a problem in fasted state. This also depends on many factors like how much fat adapted you are, your diet etc.

As you say you feel fine during the workout, I think it is just electrolyte deficiency. Try lemon juice+salt during your workout for hydration.

PS: Sometimes during longer workouts that last more than an hour, I also use Fast & Up Reload tablets - 2 of these dissolved in 600ml of water with a teaspoon of salt. These tablets also provide other minerals like magnesium which is good for muscle recovery. 2 of these tablets will have about 3g of carbs, but because of the workout, this usually will not break the fast.

Last edited by graaja : 16th April 2020 at 16:25.
Old 16th April 2020, 16:37   #2647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another point to note is body can burn fat for fuel only when you are training in the endurance zone. Threshold efforts will need sugar which is provided by the glycogen stores. How much time do you spend in threshold zone in your training? If it is 10 to 15 minutes total, then your body should have enough glycogen to fuel these bursts.
I generally do a physically activity for 30 minutes in morning (i.e during fasting) and 30 mins in the late evening (running, 50 squats, 25 push ups and then some minimal exercise). I do not think I do a real intense work out and I don't push it too hard. Won't this count for burning some fat from reserves? Will some ab specific work out (crunches etc) would help to expedite the fat burn around belly area.
Old 16th April 2020, 19:41   #2648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I generally do a physically activity for 30 minutes in morning (i.e during fasting) and 30 mins in the late evening (running, 50 squats, 25 push ups and then some minimal exercise). I do not think I do a real intense work out and I don't push it too hard. Won't this count for burning some fat from reserves? Will some ab specific work out (crunches etc) would help to expedite the fat burn around belly area.
Yes. When you do exercise at moderate intensity, body will burn fat as fuel. When you do high intensity workout, body will switch to glycogen as fuel.

It is a myth that core workout expedites fat burn around belly area. Core workout will strengthen your core, but does not contribute to fat burn per se. The body has to burn the fat, which will be primarily by diet (low carb, IF etc), and aided by moderate intensity workouts.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 20:37   #2649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Water with rock salt and lemon. Will replenish the salts and keep you in the fasted state. Have plenty of it, because you will sweat it all out.

I have this to retain fasted state during my three day water fasts.
Quote:
+1 to RedLiner. This should be mostly due to electrolyte loss. I usually take lemon juice with salt during my fasted workouts. This should solve the headache after the workout.
Thank you guys. I was under the impression lemon breaks the fast. I will start having lemon water to keep hydrated during the runs.

Quote:

Another point to note is body can burn fat for fuel only when you are training in the endurance zone. Threshold efforts will need sugar which is provided by the glycogen stores. How much time do you spend in threshold zone in your training? If it is 10 to 15 minutes total, then your body should have enough glycogen to fuel these bursts. Longer duration in the threshold zone may be a problem in fasted state. This also depends on many factors like how much fat adapted you are, your diet etc.

As you say you feel fine during the workout, I think it is just electrolyte deficiency. Try lemon juice+salt during your workout for hydration.

PS: Sometimes during longer workouts that last more than an hour, I also use Fast & Up Reload tablets - 2 of these dissolved in 600ml of water with a teaspoon of salt. These tablets also provide other minerals like magnesium which is good for muscle recovery. 2 of these tablets will have about 3g of carbs, but because of the workout, this usually will not break the fast.
These days that I spoke off, it was a 25-30 mins run. Of which around 15 mins was around 90% heart rate. Rest was in moderate zone and this is followed by a 15 mins walk (1.5 kms) at a relaxed pace to cool down and get heart rate below 100.

My reasoning with the 15 mins high heart rate is to use up the glycogen stores so that remaining 3-4 hrs in my fasted state, it aids fat burn.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 21:06   #2650
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My reasoning with the 15 mins high heart rate is to use up the glycogen stores so that remaining 3-4 hrs in my fasted state, it aids fat burn.
This is perfect. This is the reason why HIIT is highly recommended a few hours before the end of fast. Once you deplete the glycogen stores, body will burn fat during the rest of the fasting period. This will give better results in weight loss.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 21:20   #2651
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys. I was under the impression lemon breaks the fast. I will start having lemon water to keep hydrated during the runs.
You can add couple tea spoons of Apple Cider vinegar as well to the lemon juice once or twice a day.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 10:24   #2652
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,
I have used this lockdown as a break from all my gymming and physical exercises. This is helping me nurse some of the niggles I've been carrying. It's been over a month and with no signs of gyms opening up anytime soon I want to invest in some resistance bands/loops. I will also get back to LCHF and 16:8 IF.
Does anyone have any experience with such bands? I came across a few on Amazon and this one in particular takes my fancy and this one too.

Will order once Amazon is allowed to deliver. Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 18th April 2020 at 10:25.
Old 18th April 2020, 10:47   #2653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Water with rock salt and lemon. Will replenish the salts and keep you in the fasted state. .
Quote:
+1 to RedLiner. This should be mostly due to electrolyte loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You can add couple tea spoons of Apple Cider vinegar as well to the lemon juice once or twice a day.
Guys thanks. This worked.

I did a mix of running and walking today for around 40 mins (basically running followed by walking). Around 20 mins was in above 90% of max heart rate range.

Had lemon and salt in water when I was back. No sign of head aches and I feel much better than I normally am.

This will stay. I love this forum!
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:13   #2654
BHPian

Is there any weight gain thread ?
Done a lot of reading online but it's too confusing. Most people suggest atleast 5 meals a day,but I can't push my diet beyond a certain point. Any other suggestions will be helpful,like a good drink supplement,etc.
Are these weight gain powder supplements of any use or they are useful only after intensive workouts?
Posting a link for your reference. Do these work?

https://bigmusclesnutrition.com/collections/gainer

Last edited by hareshjethwani : 18th April 2020 at 11:42. Reason: Typo
Old 18th April 2020, 11:45   #2655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
Is there any weight gain thread ?
Done a lot of reading online but it's too confusing. Most people suggest atleast 5 meals a day,but I can't push my diet beyond a certain point. Any other suggestions will be helpful,like a good drink supplement,etc.
Are these weight gain powder supplements of any use or they are useful only after intensive workouts?
I presume you have done the ground work on what your current weight height age activity level combo is and feel you still need to add weight. Here is what I did 3 yrs back. I have always been in the 62-64 weight range and had dropped to 60 by 2017. I was a regular with physical work outs but starting 2017, I stepped up the game big time with massive increase in my compound body movement exercises and weight training. I was on 3 meals only with a very heavy breakfast and very light dinner but I made my own protein bars at home and that was my 11am snack and raw soaked chick peas around 5pm. I did increase milk consumption(at its peak 600-750ml per day). In 1 year, my waist size went down from an already reasonable 32” to around 29.5” with weight increase from 60 to 71kgs. I was shocked by this weight gain because I didn’t feel it happening. Since 2018 I’ve been able to cut down on my milk consumption and still manage to hold my weight at the 69.5-71kg range. I’m 43 now. My goal for next 2 years is to try hitting 75kg without a waist increase and then slowly change my work out patterns to something more appropriate for my age.

Last edited by narayan : 18th April 2020 at 11:48.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks